Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
This isn't a really big deal or anything but the section of the OP that talks about things being on sale could use an update. I know for sure that the iElectribe is no longer $9.99. It's (I assume back) at $19.99 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

FLX posted:

Sorry about that. I updated the OP with new recommendations and got rid of the old news.
Cool. It was no big deal, just something to do if you were still around.

Does anyone have any experience with the iRig? The price is right and both my computers run XP Media Center Edition which, strangely enough, hates all media (especially if you're trying to record it). I gather from reviews that the sound isn't perfect but I'm just looking to record demos with it. I know people with full studio setups (and will eventually have one myself) for when we record album stuff.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Thanks for all that. Guitar effects aren't really a big deal, as we would be running those into it. That isn't a problem, is it? I would also want it to work for recording things that are not guitar. What I want more than the program an its intended use is the interface.

If I were going to go up to the price of the Jam, I would just save a bit more and get a computer interface (which is what I had been planning to do previously). Basically, we've been talking about making music and throwing ideas around for a very long time and we just want to do it now, quick and dirty, so we can get demos online and start playing shows.

EDIT : Are there any other hardware interfacing options that I should be aware of? Cheaper is better but if something is really good I'd like to know about it, even if it's more expensive.

TheNinjaD fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 6, 2011

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I'm using an iPad. Specifically, an iPad 2 and a very recently made one, at that. It's not something I ever would have bought on my own but it was given to me by my girlfriend that got a deal on an Apple gift card in the SA Mart (she's a goon) and used that to buy us both iPads. By now my iPod seems ancient. It's pretty good for what it is, which is a music player, but I think it's from a couple of years before the first iPod Touch came out. Macs, even at the rate they have improved in the last decade, are still at least a few years away from the level of universal compatability I would want before I would buy one. I'm not a fan of their interface and their pricing for performance is just silly. I'm a PC man and I like to add all sorts of fiddly bits until nothing works right anymore. EDIT : Oh yeah, and at the moment I use an Android 1 for a phone and when I hit the point where I can upgrade again, I may get an iPhone but an Android 3 is a bit more likely (especially if some of the rumors I've heard about the next iPhone prove to be true).

Basically, I'm making the best of what I have. Would there be feedback problems with the iRig if you split the signal BEFORE the interface for monitoring? That hasn't been an issue for me in the past with other interfaces and my guitarist gets really weird when he can't hear himself play (and even weirder when there is a delay).

I'm not concerned about apps that will record at the moment. That's the easy part and I already have at least one.

TheNinjaD fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 6, 2011

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

RandomCheese posted:

There won't be any issues if your monitoring occurs before the output gets to the iPad, the feedback only happens because the signal comes in from the instrument through the headphone jack then gets processed and sent back out that very same same jack, creating a small area where crosstalk and interference can appear. If you don't run the signal back of the iPad you won't get any feedback, and it only really showed up in high-gain amp sims so you'll probably never see the issue at all.
Then it sounds like the iRig is one hell of a deal to use just as a recording interface, if you already have the equipment you would need to perform live.

I was researching it a bit and read on another site that it works fine with effects coming in AND it can even record vocals/mics jus fine if they are amplified going in. I figured that was worth sharing here.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
While I HAVE seen the name before, is this something that coukd ever possibly be worth that much money?

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
But...the 80s, man. The 80s!

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I would certainly never use an iPhone app in a live setting, but that's only a strike against it if that's a concern for you.

iPhones and iPads are just too drat crashy.
This concerns me because I had planned to do that. I have yet to have any crash issues on my iPad.

Does anyone know of a good app just for recording, using a iRig? One that will allow me to get the files onto my computer somehow after, of course.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

RandomCheese posted:

Meteor and FourTrack get mentioned a lot when recording comes up but I have not used either. Searching appshopper for multitrack might lead you in the right direction if those first two aren't suitable.
I feel a little silly, I suppose I could have done that for myself. Thanks, though, I'll check this all out. I was hoping someone would name one program and everyone else in the thread would put in, "Oh yeah, that one is amazing and everyone uses it now," but that never happens.

RandomCheese posted:

For what it's worth I've never had a music app crash on me, and in general the only stability issues I have seen on the iOS platform have been jailbreak related. Some apps do have noted bugs from time to time but any developer worth their salt will get them sorted out ASAP.
This is more in line with my experience. Of course, my iPad is only about 5 months old so it's the absolute most current model. It could be that complications arise with older hardware and newer apps.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That could be it. I have a first generation iPad, and apps run out of memory and crash all the time.
That sounds reasonable. We have a very old iPod touch that no newer stuff works on. Other than that sort of thing, I haven't really heard any complaints of crashing or that sort of thing.

Does anyone know of any particularly chuggy music apps to avoid?

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
The Animoog is wonderful. I'm going to make some tasty industrial goodness with that thing, mark my words.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

haunted sleep posted:

Heads up, Sample Lab is on sale for $0.99, down from $8.99. It's worth a look if you're into sample based sequencing and want to create some glitchy stuff. It has per-beat loop points and panning, so doing crazy beat chopping is really quick. It also has DIRAC time stretching and pitch shifting, so altering the tempo on the fly doesn't resort in out of time beats or sample chipmunking. Definitely a fun app.
That sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

screaden posted:

Does the android market have anything close to the wealth of music apps that iOS has? I haven't seen a whole lot yet. I just swapped from an iPhone to an android based one, and am wondering whether it's worth holding on to the iPhone for portable music making goodness
I would do just that. I think there a couple of odd things for Android, and there will probably be more now that Android tablets are becoming more common, but there isn't any real comparison yet. I use an Android phone (Droid 1), too.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Teeben posted:

I feel compelled to post about GarageBand which I downloaded last night on my iPhone 3GS. Probably the most polished app I've ever paid for in the history of owning anything iOS. If you play guitar on your iPhone or iPad you're stupid not to spend the five bucks and jam out. The app even airplays to your tv. Easily worth five times what they're charging.
Last I checked, though, it didn't work alongside any program on a PC or a Mac and it doesn't support Audio Copy / Audio Paste, making it only useful if you can use it completely self-contained.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

renderful posted:

Garageband iOS officially support audio copy and paste for months now.
I was not aware. That's great news. That makes it much more useful! I'm still partial to FL Studio, personally, since that's the first program like that I ever used and I'm a PC guy but hey, that's just me.

Rocket Ace posted:

I'm a non-musician but music lover (especially classical and jazz). I would like to compose atmospheric music for my geeky RPGs (both PC and pen and paper). Ideally I would like to be able to import sound files or samples (mp3, aif etc).

Is there a music app out there that would allow me to do this?

Bonus points for an app that isn't super hard to learn for a non musician?
The PC version of FL Studio would be perfect for this sort of thing. I've heard that the iOS version is quite similar. GarageBand is along the same line of thing, too.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

haunted sleep posted:

FL Studio Mobile can't import samples. For $15 NanoStudio is a much better deal, but maybe Music Studio would be easier to learn?
I'm not familiar with Music Studio but Nano Studio seems pretty cool from the time I've spent with it but it's also the first music program I've ever played around with that I didn't understand how everything worked right away. I guess that means it might not be the easiest for an inexperienced person to learn.

In other news, I've now requested a stretch of days off of work in December. In that time I plan to be writing and recording a bit of a demo on my iPad.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
It sounds like the easy fix for the iRig is to do any monitoring you plan to do before the iRig device itself. I've read that in a couple of places now. I have not yet used it myself, though. Within the month I should be able to say for sure.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking of recording. For that purpose, all my effects will come before the iRig, using the same sttuff we'd use performing live.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Now that would be good for performing / jamming but not for recording. I guess what you want it for is important.

Also, Digitecch effects tend to be pretty awful.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
It looks pretty sweet but I'm guessing that it doesn't support Audio Copy / Audio Paste?

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

SonicYooth posted:

Bought this - seems nice but was a bit disappointed that they want you to buy a majority of the instruments separately from within the app.
Thanks for the information. I hadn't realized that at a glance and that makes me really reconsider buying it, even for $1.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Well, how many is "half" and what are they? Not supporting Audio Copy / Audio Paste is a pretty big mark against it for me, anyway.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Just don't count on the iPad update for Nanostudio too soon. I first heard it was "coming soon" a couple of months ago.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Oh, wow, that's brilliant. I love that it isn't just a higher definition clone of the phone version.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I was wondering if there might not be some salles going into the holidays. I was actually expecting more post-Christmas.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Use a computer as the middle man. Than way you have it backed up, anyway.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I can't imagine keeping a computer out of music production.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
All of this when I get a big bonus check tomorrow and have taken four days off of work in the middle of December for the purpose of writing and recording music.

So happy.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

magiccarpet posted:

Just buy them all like the rest of us did.
This. Exactly this.

I'd also like to point out that I don't know jack poo poo about synthesis but I still do it. I just play with settings and options and fiddle around with them there doohickeys until it sounds cool. It may not be the most efficient method but it is a lot more ADD-friendly than learning how it actually works.

Oh, and saying the iMS-20 is complex is an understatement. Holy poo poo, there are cables. What the hell. It's awesome and terrifying at the same time.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I'm not a Mac Evangelist by any stretch of the imagination and I can say honestly that I've only had my iPad 2 slow up because I was doing too much crap once or twice. Of course, in most situations you can also only run a single program at a time, so that is probably why.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I actually found NanStudio to be less intuitive and easy to use than other, similar programs I have used. If you're using a Mac for your normal computer, though, we're probably used to different things. I wouldn't say it's a bad app, though. It seems like it could be used to good effect, especially once I get the update downloaded.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I can now report on the iRig with some actual experience.

It does what it says and I have had no serious or minor problems with it. I have not attempted to use the built-in headphone jack because I have heard nothing but bad things about it. The sound isn't perfect but it's great for portability and cheap demo recording if you're not able to do that on an actual computer.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

RandomCheese posted:

The headphone jack which he said he has not used? I think TheNinjaD is just using the iRig as an input device to record himself playing live so he doesn't need to monitor the sound coming out of the iOS device, neatly sidestepping around the feedback issues caused by the in and out lines being in such close proximity.
Exactly this. You can still set up to monitor what you're playing, using a few cheap cables that you can even buy at you local Walmart.

When recording the guitar, we just played the background beat on my computer in a loop while recording on the iPad.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Sweet gently caress, that looks cool. Even at that price, I'm considering it. It is sort of hard to justify, though, when you can pay less for things made by Korg. Very cool, either way.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

lord funk posted:

the price they pay for the app.
...or don't pay. Either way, very cool. This grid lines might help to sway some uncertain *cough*.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Broken Record posted:

Can anyone who has used the Akai Synthstation or the Korg iElectribe apps give a quick review? Does the Akai app let you import MPC samples?
Just trying to get as much information before I commit to hardware or iPad.
The truth is, once you start buying music apps, you'll just want to buy them all. I can only speak for the iElectribe but I've used it quite a bit. I only wish it were easier to transfer beats to other apps.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Wow, that's almost exactlly how I often do things. That's where I feel that things like the iPad can open new doors for our kinds. Things like KAOSS pads can be a wonderful tool for us.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
That seems like a good, fair review. I've been away from working on music stuff for a while but need to get back to it and do it more seriously. Anyone know of any other current good buys?

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

jakewastaken posted:

It's capable of quite a lot. I think a Gorillaz album was done entirely on the iPad.
Not entirely as they like to say, if you look closely. There were a few external things used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I use the Korg iElectribe for drums, mostly. I use it to program drum beats for my various musical projects that usually go nowhere. It amounts to little more than loops but so does any, similar program or app.

• Locked thread