Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Arturia apps are half off currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Leck posted:

I've recently picked up an iPad with the idea of using it for "live" synth playing (not so much composition), and the choices are a bit overwhelming. The most obvious aim for me is some Cars/Rentals sort of synths in a rock context, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these things can do.

A few things that I've seen mentioned positively here, in the synth thread, and in other places are:

FM4
Thor
Sunrizer
iMS20
iPolysix
Waldorf Nave
Korg Gadget
Arturia iSem
iProphet
Magellan

Audiobus for routing things around, possibly to stuff like Amplitube.

Is any of this must-have or must-avoid? Anything completely obvious that I'm missing? Just grab a couple of these and go to town?

Is the camera kit + a usb controller still recommended, or is something like the Alesis IO Dock mentioned in the OP (it looks like there's a newer version) a preferred way to go to get control in to the synths and sound out to an amp?

I would say start with Korg Gadget before picking up a ton of other apps, it's pretty full featured app by itself. That being said, the Arturia apps are on sale right now, and the Korg ones might still be, so it may be worth grabbing MS20, Polysix, Prophet, and SEM too. That's more than enough to keep you busy until well into next year, assuming you're taking the time to really get to know the apps.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

gently caress Your Website posted:

Animoog is a must-have imo

Wait til it's on sale, though. It just was, but it also went on sale around the first of the year last year.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stabbing Spork posted:

Any recommendations for a portable keyboard for the iPad? I was considering the Korg Nanokeys2, but the Keith McMillen QuNexus has some cool extra features, and would work with synth gear as well.

Having had them both, the extra cost is worth it to go for the QuNexus, if for no other reason than build quality. Plus it does CV which is an added bonus. I'd say the nanokeys are almost overpriced for their quality. They're fine for what they are, but mine didn't last long in a backpack.

Edit: they both play and feel pretty different, so I recommend getting your hands on a QuNexus before buying to make sure it's right for you. It takes some adjustment to get used to playing on one. The nano's keys are basically just buttons, can't remember if they have any velocity capability.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 27, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Animoog and Filtatron are on sale. Go forth and burn your offerings to the synth gods :getin:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Full DAW production is still very much the realm of computers though; I wouldn't really advise teaching yourself production with Cubasis or Auria. iPads are good at a lot of things, but definitely more on the old gear emulation/weird sound maker/sketch producer/MIDI controller side of things rather than the production side.

Agreed. Though Berklee Online will be offering a "Music Production with the iPad" course in the spring, which both impresses me and makes me cringe.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Gadget is the best music app on iOS, bar none.

This cannot be overstated.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Audiobus is free right now if you somehow don't have it already

It must have only been free for literally an hour or two. It was already back to $5 when I checked.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Arg between Arp Odyssey and Moog Model 15 (among other apps), I think I may finally be forced to upgrade beyond my iPad 4. I really wanted to string this one out for as long as I could, but it looks like most of the major music app manufacturers are requiring 64-bit devices. Not that I blame them.

Question comes down to whether I should get an Air or a Mini, then. I'd be using it mostly for music apps... does that make the Minis less desirable?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Splinter posted:

I'm considering getting a used iPad for the sole purpose of adding it to my desktop music production setup, running MIDI into the iPad and audio out to Ableton rather than building complete tracks within the iPad. I'm primarily looking at various synth apps as well as TouchOSC (or other control apps). More specifically, I'm looking at Thor, ReBirth, Animoog and a few of the Korg offerings.

Couple questions:

1. What iPad models should I look at? How old can I go before the specs start to limit my app choice or cause noticeably reduced performance or sound quality? I'm looking for a non-mini model for more screen real estate and/or larger GUI elements.

2. How do the synth apps compare to their VST counterparts in terms of sound quality? Do the iPad apps have to use worse analog modeling algorithms due to processor limitations, or are they pretty much the same as their VST counterparts. For example, is the Thor iPad app nearly identical sound wise as using Thor in Reason?

1. Stick to the Airs or newer, I believe. Basically a whole bunch of new audio apps use the Metal development tools, which locks them into 64-bit models. In particular I know Moog Model 15 is 64-bit only. I've got an iPad 4 and I can't use it, and I know I've run into three or four others since then.

2. I haven't noticed a wild difference in audio quality when A/B'ing some stuff. I'm sure there probably is a quality difference given the difference in hardware but when you look at the price disparity between apps and desktop VST/AU versions you're sort of getting what you pay for in some respects. Basically if it's not a flagship synth or effect for you, you could probably get by with the app version of whatever. I mostly get VST version of stuff when I know the app version will be a big headache to use compared to just kicking open a DAW and hitting the ground running (which, admittedly, is frequently the case).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On that subject, are there any other must-haves besides Gadget? I have a handful of the Korg apps already, but these are the ones I'm specifically considering:

-iWAVESTATION
-ARP ODESSEi
-Module
-iM1

I mostly know what these sound like (though I'm less familiar with Module & M1) so I'm curious if any of them really do interesting/useful things that may not be apparent from videos.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Crime on a Dime posted:

Module is full on. Modular synthesis can get complicated and confusing quickly. I got wavestation and it owns, really fun and I use it in gadget

I'm not sure I follow... which app are you talking about in regards to modular synthesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have iM1 and ODYSSEi and I'd consider them both pretty essential- they also manifest as instruments within Gadget (albeit I think the Odyssey might have a bit less depth there than in its standalone app, maybe I'm wrong? Idk I'm tired).

The M1 was used ALL OVER popular and commercial music in the late 80s and 90s (the Seinfeld theme was played on an M1 with the 'slap bass' patch) and the app is a super faithful port- it even supports loading actual M1 patches. It's really super powerful, esp when you consider what a real M1 costs.

I don't have Module or Wavestation yet but they're on my radar.

Are you specifically looking at Korg apps, or are you interested in anything else? I'd say that all of the Moog apps are pretty much "must buy" too.

Only asking about Korg because they're on sale at the moment and I just bought a new iPad mini with enough memory to actually have a good handful of apps handy. I'm definitely planning to grab Model 15 (already have Animoog and Filtatron), but I'll probably wait til it's half-off again.

• Locked thread