Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've recently picked up an iPad with the idea of using it for "live" synth playing (not so much composition), and the choices are a bit overwhelming. The most obvious aim for me is some Cars/Rentals sort of synths in a rock context, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these things can do.

A few things that I've seen mentioned positively here, in the synth thread, and in other places are:

FM4
Thor
Sunrizer
iMS20
iPolysix
Waldorf Nave
Korg Gadget
Arturia iSem
iProphet
Magellan

Audiobus for routing things around, possibly to stuff like Amplitube.

Is any of this must-have or must-avoid? Anything completely obvious that I'm missing? Just grab a couple of these and go to town?

Is the camera kit + a usb controller still recommended, or is something like the Alesis IO Dock mentioned in the OP (it looks like there's a newer version) a preferred way to go to get control in to the synths and sound out to an amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thanks for the input! I grabbed Gadget, and it's a ton of fun to play around with so far. I'll probably end up with at least one other one by the end of the year, since it's hard to resist the call of the sales, but I think this is a good start.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Looks like amplitube is free again until tomorrow. It doesn't have great reviews on the app store, but I've heard some good things. Looks like 5 amps/cabs and 11 effects, plus tons of in app purchases.

• Locked thread