Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I'm pretty surprised this is the first mention of NanoStudio. I've played with it and it's an impressive implementation of a full DAW+VSTs...for your phone. At $15 it's a little pricey for an ios app, but its interface is among the better ones.

Also, FourTrack. Does exactly what it claims. Supports AudioCopy and the like for transferring audio between programs. Like, say, NanoStudio (though I think you have to paste it as a single sample rather than into the sequencer).

Yeah, I can't believe Nano Studio was not brought up more. I have not used many iOS music apps, so I can't really compare it to other offerings, but I'm a big Ableton User and it just felt right to me. The UI is really well laid out for the most part; you can operate very quickly and it rarely seems like the interface is fighting you. I'm pretty bad at actually playing but the editing parts interface is highly tuned for touch - I can select (and mutate) selections quickly and accurately.

My favorite little feature is related to recording. Nano Studio lets you instantly switch between record and play mode seamlessly, so you can audition changes easily - which is nice. But, like I said, I'm not a great player, but when I hear playback I know what's right and wrong. If you tap the recording button while recording it will enter an x mode where it will erase any notes already recorded when you play that key. So if you have a beat that is almost right but you hear a stray note in the middle, rather than hand editing it you can switch to this mode and press that key when you want it removed! Get rid of whole lines by just holding it down for a loop's duration. Perhaps not as useful to many, but it really shows the thought that has gone into this system.

I've really enjoyed the synth included, the drum pad is full featured and includes some good samples, and the developer is very active and seems intent on updating often. It's been an exceptional creative tool. I have never bought anything over 5 dollars on the app store before and this is my favorite purchase. Check it out soon, $15 dollars for like 80% of Ableton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread