Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The thing that totally kills usability of these iOS apps is having to deal with itunes.

I've spent about 9 hours straight so far trying to copy a sample library over to one of these music apps on my shiny new ipad, and oh boy is that fun when itunes crashes after moving 20-30 files or so. Multiply that over ~3000 loop samples to get an estimate of how many times I've had to restart this POS program because apple won't just let me directly access my device like a flash drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

There was an update for the KORG iMS-20 today, claiming support for external MIDI keyboards and drum pads, connected with the iPad camera connection kit. Looks like I finally have to get on of those kits. Has anybody who has the hardware tried it out already?

Which app are you talking about? Copying that many files does still seem like overkill for the iPad :-/

studio.HD

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

I was on the verge of returning my iPod Touch when I discovered CopyTrans. I haven't touched iTunes in over a week and am now immensely pleased with my product. CopyTrans allows click-and-drag, and let's me bypass using the painfully terrible iTunes library.

Yeah, I should really pay $19.99 to fix something that should work right out of the box.

poo poo like this is among the reasons I refuse to ever own a Mac, despite how much I would love to work with Logic (which at one point had been released for Wintel machines before Apple, being the shipload of cocks they are, bought out Emagic to ensure it stayed Mac-only).

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2010

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

:confused: CopyTrans is free.

Not according to their website:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

Is there a way to legally download the album?

Join the fanclub, then it's available for download, IIRC.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

a full-blown DAW, like the original GarageBand.

The original Garageband wasn't a full-blown DAW either.

If anyone was expecting anything other than the Babbys First Casio Concertmate of audio creation apps, they're going to be disappointed, since that's always been Garageband's niche. For anyone who wants to do anything more than play around, that's always been what Logic was for.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So how do you hear what you're playing, or other tracks? Last I messed with it, when the iRig was plugged in the device speakers didn't work, and neither would bluetooth headphones.

...by using the headphone jack on the iRig with headphones or using it as a line-out to some speakers?. The jack on iOS devices can take an input and send output at the same time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

I didn't mean any disrespect, I'm just honestly curious because it doesn't seem like it's too viable at the moment as someone who can't get his hands on some of these apps. I'm heavily considering purchasing an iPad with an emphasis on creating music but I don't know if I'm sold yet.

Gorillaz/Damon Albarn did a whole album almost entirely using just an ipad. So it's totally viable, at least if you know what you're doing and how to write music.

http://thefall.gorillaz.com/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FLX posted:

Owning an iPad is really great in many ways, so I would just sell as much gear as necessary to buy one iPad and then just try it out and see how it works for you.

This. They're great for music apps and stuff, but they're still pretty limited compared to a real DAW. Don't throw out all your gear just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Odddzy posted:

But really, is there a nice resource online or a dude that does step by steps for music productions on youtube or something with the help of these ios apps?

DAW apps and the like are going to each be different in their functions, menus, and workflows; a guide to using one will largely not help in learning a different one; so hopping on youtube or google and searching for tutorials specific to that software is your best bet (try search terms like "garageband tutorial, etc), but for general synthesis questions, almost all synths work the same way (subtractive synthesis) and for those, you can start with the beginning of our own Laserjet 4P's "how do I maek noiz" megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

• Locked thread