Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

hypersleep posted:

Well, Audiobus has been approved by Apple. Not for sale quite yet, but it's really good news, as even the devs felt it was a "grey area" app, and many people were worried Apple would reject it.

Would be great if Moog added Audiobus support to Animoog but considering they made MIDI support an in-app purchase (loving really?) I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Will this obviate the need for MidiBridge or Genome Sequencer? I don't have either app but I'm looking for something that will let me control app A from app B, or even send app B patterns to play. For example, I love the control SunVox and Magellan give with respect to controlling basic waveforms (duty cycles for squares for instance) but both of them outright suck for actually making patterns with.

While I'm at it, there isn't a way to import MIDI patterns into SunVox, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Could someone explain to me how MidiBridge/GenomeMIDI work? Will either of them allow me to fire off patterns in, say Magellan, DM1 and BM2, basically working as a super-sequencer of sorts?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bedurndurn posted:

Symphony Pro is apparently not available in the US right now? What's a decent app for writing/editing and especially transposing sheet music on an iPad?

Symphony Pro apparently wasn't working under iOS 6; the guy developing it promised an update in October which I guess didn't happen.

The only game in town I'm aware of is Symphonix Evolution which is... eh. The UI is pretty drat klunky (as in don't expect to do much in the first couple weeks) but it will get the job done. PDF output from it can look a bit wonky for 16th notes.

If you have a Mac, Garageband does a much better job.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

Apple just released an update for Garage Band with something called Audiobus, which allows it to record signals from other amps, so make sure that your Garage Band is up to date, also there is an option in AmpUP to run in background that needs to be turned on.

Wow, I remember them being concerned that Apple would approve the app and now they've built in support themselves?

That's one hell of a coup. Rather surprised they didn't just buy Tasty Pixel outright.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
DM-1 is also great.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've been tinkering with using Beatmaker's MIDI sequencer to control other synths -- Cassini for example. Works for the most part, but I can't export songs in Beatmaker, presumably because it's not Beatmaker that's generating the audio but the external app. Is there a way to record the audio then in another app, particularly if I'm controlling more than one synth App? If I'm stuck using a DAW, what's a good one? Looks like MultiTrack DAW hasn't been updated in over a year.

Also when I'm doing this Cassini won't play the first note unless I wait a bar. Any ideas?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Right, but BM2 is tied up in playback mode controlling Cassini. I don't think it can play back and record at the same time.

How is GarageBand's DAW capabilities? I havent used it in a while because I remember it being a pig but I suppose I can dust that off. It take it it can be used as an AudioBus output?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:doh: Didn't occur to me that that was possible.

That did exactly what I wanted. Thanks a bunch!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg Gadget had a big update this morning with Audiobus among other things. Haven't played with it yet but the update doesn't recommend using Audiobus w/ pre-current iPads.

What are some good web resources for iOS music stuff? Most of what I can find is just app description dumps and link farm type sites.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

KVR's forum is the best I've found. There's not much out there that isn't link farms.

And even they're... okay I guess. Thanks.

In better news I picked up Caustic and am really liking it as a quick lightweight song-sketch type of sequencer.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Grabbed HEPNMAYFFHY9. Thank you very much!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
iVCS3 just dropped, which to my disappointment is an old-rear end analog synth instead of an Atari 2600 emulator. Their other apps (Stria, iPulsaret, iDensity) are discounted from 9 bucks to 5 for two weeks as well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You might get some milage out of Arpeggionome Pro, which is pretty customizable and might let you stumble into a few bass riffs. I also picked up StepPolyArp today which is more of a 'program an arp' deal, pretty similar to what VirSin builds into their synths. It has a random function I'm planning on screwing around with, but is somewhat harder to use.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
While I'm at it I dug up a few more links for review sites and such.

SmiteMatter published one of the first iOS-only albums back in 2011. Honestly I can't get into his music much (even if I do like ambient) but he has a good blog covering his experiences with using various apps for both his albums.

For those of you with Thor, Gordon Reid of Synth Secrets fame published an analogous series covering the desktop version. The iOS version is drat close if not identical as far as I know, to the point where patches for one work with the other. It's more application than theory focused since I imagine Propellerhead was paying him for it.

Original MiniMoog patch charts for those with iMini. Really wish it would work with BeatMaker 2 already, argh.

20patch Turns making MS-20 patches into some sort of Diablo character spec sheet type of deal. Has a few patches submitted by users. Not a fan of most of them personally.

Music App Blog is the big prize. Dude reviews drat near every music app that comes out and does a good, thorough job.

I've been listening to a lot of synthwave lately and in particular loving me some Miami Nights 1984 which scratches that analog synth itch that I've been buying all these damned apps for. Hoping to making something on similar lines, though I've never really done 'serious' music before so how knows how the gently caress it'll end up.

lord funk, I have to admit I haven't had a chance to try out TC-11 much. I'll try to give it a good spin and post a trip report, promise!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If only I could get far enough in the composition process to get anywhere near to mastering :sigh:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My current music process:

* Come up with a bass line or chord progression in my head and say "hm that seems neat"
* Fire up Caustic or BM2 and a synth, try it out
* Think about what to do next with it, declare "music is hard"
* By this point I've bought like, three new synths to gently caress around with
* Save phrase as "Idea 140325 01.bm2" and never touch it again.

I don't know why this whole music thing brings out the ADHD so hard but drat. I think perhaps it's because I'm still in the stupid newbie phase and I'm still learning how to get that sound on synths, develop melodies and everything all at once and I'm not concentrating on any specific task.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's kindof what I was hoping Gadget would help for, give me a self-contained environment for fleshing out a sketch before making a real track out of it with other synths (I'm mostly doing 80s synthwave type stuff). Unfortunately Gadget doesn't have any sort of MIDI export functionality I know of so I'm kindof stuck there. Caustic is a little better about this it seems but its export seems pretty cumborsome (and you need AudioShare for it).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:siren: Auria is half off today

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How can I get DM-1 to trigger from a sequencer such as BM2 or Genome? I have the channel set right, it looks like DM1 uses the GM MIDI codes (36 for the bass drum which is C1 for instance) but I'm not getting any sound. Is it a bug in DM1's MIDI implementation?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pretty much every music app in the world is on sale for 4/20 Easter.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sunrizer is almost perfect to me, except that crap where it insists on defaulting to iTar 1 or whatever on startup. More than once I've lost a patch I was working on because I switched apps and it got purged.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Prophet dropped today -- it's Arturia's Prophet 5/VS without the 5 (just the wavetable part). Haven't picked it up yet but seeing as I've never screwed around with the wavetable bit of the VS I may try it out. Honestly I'd rather have the 5 though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia contracted out to Retronyms to develop the app so Tabletop is a given. I'm fairly surprised that Audiobus made it in -- they usually make a point of not supporting them.

I don't think Gadget has an exposed API to allow other instruments.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg and the Beatmaker dudes updated their poo poo :dance:

Not sure what's left that still shits the bed in iOS8 and I use all the time now... Sunrizer hasn't been updated yet but I'm not sure if it's broken or not.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
iSEM is pretty drat good, although I'll admit my favorite iPad synth is still Polysix.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
64 is plenty.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of which Module just dropped. Thirty bucks tho and additional IAPs to boot.

I guess I'll pick it up but honestly I don't know if I really need a multi-gig iPad piano.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
NLogSynth is down to two bucks, and the Mac version is six on the Mac App Store.. Patches are cross-compatible.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Camel Audio, makers of Alchemy, are closing their doors and you can no longer buy their IAP. Never bought a Alchemy myself but still, pour a forty.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Space echo might be what you're looking for but I haven't used it in a year so I don't remember too well. Haven't used Dub myself.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd use Sunriser on the iPad a whole lot more if it didn't insist on starting with that damned iTar 2 patch every launch. Not that it's a bad patch, but it's a bit of menu diving to get to an init patch when I want something quick.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What's the closest thing to Audacity on the iPad? Is it still Hokusai or whatever?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Editing MS-20 samples before I send them to Cubasis' drum machine, basically. Something that automatically truncates silences would be swell.

e: I know Audioshare more or less does the trick and it's what I'm using now but it can be a bit annoying to get it right.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Also holy poo poo how can DM1's MIDI Clock sync be *this* loving bad? It's recieving clock from my Analog Four and it's fast by like 2%. You're a drum machine, recieving clock is your primary job.

Think I may be stuck using Beatmaker :gonk:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I can't think of anything that's still broken in 8 that lots of people use. Filtatron was the last thing I can think of and that was fixed a couple of months ago.

I've run everything you listed on 8, on an iPad Air.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gadget is the best music app on iOS, bar none.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What Gadget excels at is as a prototyping tool. It's real easy to fire it up, get an appropriate synth, make a tune and see if it works. Then you can flesh it out, and export the midi into a DAW that'll let you use more complex synths and effects if necessary.

You're right though, it doesn't handle external instruments on its own.

Here's a tune I spent a few days making in Gadget. I exported it to Cubasis and even laid down the bass on my Analog Four but :effort: on the rest.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg Module is a piano app that turns into a Gadget, and it's ten bucks off right now. I don't have it (don't really see the iPad as ideal for sampled instruments) so I can't vouch.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just use iM1 because fukit, house music forever.

I bought a hardware Roland D-50 from 1987 the other week. The piano on that thing... isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So Moog just dropped a Model 15 app http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/model-15-app

Cool demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0I7y-MadM

• Locked thread