Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
The cable which that guy is using appears to be the sort that sends audio/video signals via RCA from a handheld camera. I believe this works because the video connector(yellow plug) on the video cable is attached to the metal beyond the third band of the plug which goes into the iOS device.

This is the same configuration which shared mic/headphones(wired headsets) use for microphone input. The microphone input is available on the last bit of metal before the plastic starts. So he is just swapping the video "channel" of this cable, for the microphone channel on the iOS device.

The other two cable endpoints(red and white) are being used for the stereo channels from the iOS device, through the adapter, to the headphones.

I find it odd that he is using a stereo 1/4" TRS -> female RCA. No idea what use this cable would have(in any application) with the limited channel(1) available via the RCA cable and connector, but I believe it is having the same effect which a mono 1/4" TRS -> female would have.

Nice find! I'd not thought of that config myself, but it makes great sense. I've got a custom cable which does the exact same thing, without the mess of wires.

renderful fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I totally want an Alesis IODock, but I have the Camera Connection Kit as well as a standards compliant USB audio/midi interface(Presonus Audiobox USB, which is now dedicated to the iPad). I certainly don't *need* the IODock, but the form factor of it and the ability of the Camera Connection Kit to fall right out of the socket if the iPad is moved, both make me want to waste the $200 anyway.

In the end, I'm still using the iPad more as a controller/sequencer for external hardware synths, far more than as an audio device, so I usually just have the Alesis USB->MIDI cable plugged into the CCK, so the form factor of the IODock wouldn't really help that much anyway. The Audiobox USB is also slightly a bummer because it requires a powered USB hub.

As for the iRig, I think that it will work great for what TheNinjaD wants to do with it. I had previously used a hand-spliced cable which connected to the headphone out, and provided the microphone section of the pin with a mono 1/4" jack, and the other 2 sections of the pin outputted to a stereo 1/4" jack. It was the simplest solution, with no extra circuitry in the signal path and worked well. The Audiobox sounds better, but that random cable worked surprisingly well(good enough).

renderful fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 6, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone tell me which MIDI interface is leaning towards 'the most useful' lately? I've been reading up on Genome (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/08/full-featured-genome-midi-sequencer-for-ipad-and-a-chat-with-its-creator/#comments) and its just amazing.

Genome is awesome. I use it, StepPolyArp and Little Midi Machine with both the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer and with the Camera Connection Kit + Alesis USB -> MIDI Interface.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

audio copy and paste is the better way

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

canned_fruit posted:

Nope doesn't seem to be working. I synced wirelessly when I got this app, maybe that's the problem? Oh well I suppose it will be fixed at some point.

Does it work with headphones? I've seen many apps seem to 'require' headphones when they get into a certain state. This is especially true after using USB audio devices via the camera connection kit.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Garageband iOS officially support audio copy and paste for months now.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

A practical example, which includes your guitar would be: Program a drum part and a keyboard part in iMS20 to play along with on guitar. Tada! band in a box.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I've never seen a video embedded on SA. Is it even possible?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

How useable is this on the phone? it seems like everything would be pretty cramped in there compared to the iPad version.

Use {video}youtube url{/video} to embed videos.

It's usable because it uses a zoom and pan methodology to focus on the part you want to edit.

Thanks for the video info, it looks to be disabled by default(at least on old accounts).

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You can't program custom rhythms into FunkBox. It's like one of those early Roland drum machines that only has "Disco, Funk, Funk2" etc... presets.

DM-1 is more flexible.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Woah.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Thanks for making me spend money, jeez.

I've been wanting to do this for so long, and since I don't have a proper Linux box setup currently, this will fill the void. Awesome sounds and control, including a really awesome way to learn.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Feenix posted:

Do you have a link to these demos? I'm having the damnedest time locating and I really want to see...

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget_for_ipad/page_1.php

Seems way overpriced to me, as well as being unoriginal for the iPad.

renderful fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 4, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Beatmaker 2 supports AudioBus, and if the synths you're controlling support it too then they can be recorded into an audio track in Beatmaker.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

FLX posted:

How's the latency of those virtual pads by the way?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Class compliant USB audio interfaces will work with the Camera Connection Kit.

• Locked thread