Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
excitebike
May 18, 2003

micropenis posted:

:siren: Garageband for the iPad :siren:

Software instruments, loops, multitrack recorder, can take the iPad project and use it on Garageband Mac or Logic Studio. You can plug your guitar in. You can use CoreMIDI. Do all sorts of crazy poo poo with it for $5 which is going to piss off every other DAW app creator on the app store.

Cross-posting in this thread too.

I worked on this and I'm happy to answer any questions, we're really looking forward to what musicians will do with our little baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excitebike
May 18, 2003

tutpsu posted:

This might be a stupid question, but will you need an iPad 2 to run GB?

Nope.

FLX posted:

How large will the app's file size be with all those loops and samples? Will there be IAPs for new content? Also, how much RAM does the iPad 2 have?

I believe the app's final size is around 520MB. It won't break the bank if you're on a 16GB iPad. For $5, you get all the content, no additional purchases required.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Does Garageband for iPad have the ability to, some day, do simultaneous multitrack recording?

If you asked me if I could ever get the accelerometer to let you play a keyboard soft or loud, I would have told you that you were crazy. I have no clue.

JazzFlight posted:

Dammit, if Garageband requires iOS 4.3 I will be so pissed. I just finally got used to having my iPad jailbroken on 4.2.1 and it will be really painful deciding between all my jailbroken stuff and Garageband... oh, and a proper working orientation switch again.

It doesn't, and while I respect your decision to jailbreak for whatever reason you have, please don't steal our software. :(

toxick posted:

GarageBand looks pretty nice but I wonder how the amps and effects will stack up against something like AmpKit.

Well how does AmpKit compare to the desktop version of GarageBand?

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah I spent like $80 getting amplitube and the 4 track recorder for both my phone and pad and now GarageBand pops up for $5. I am hoping (only out of spite) that the amp sims are a little worse than the dedicated amp apps but in all probability they will sound pretty drat good.

Size is also a pretty big concern for me as well, I only have the 16GB model and it runs pretty close to full all the time, I would hate for the GB app to take up multiple gigabytes with just its loops and samples.

edit: That Apogee input looks significantly better than the Amplitube one. If it lowers the noise floor then I will be all over it. I am a terrible consumer.

I find them to be pretty impressive, then again, I've always liked them. Size is as above. The Jam is a great little device, I'll be buying one.

excitebike
May 18, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I don't have a single pirated app on my jailbroken devices and I've spent definitely over a thousand dollars on apps over the years, so you don't have to worry about that.

Awesome! Thanks. :)

excitebike
May 18, 2003

FLX posted:

- the guitar and bass interface is really cool, but you can't play any chords you want. You can only play eight preset chords from your song's global key. :(

If you flip the switch in the top right of the guitar or bass, you'll get a fretboard you can play anything you'd like on. You can do bends, hammer-ons, etc. on it. The Upright Bass is fretless and you can slide up and down it to great effect.

While the Smart Guitar and Smart Bass are primarily meant for people without musical skill to use, the Notes mode lets you hammer out some pretty neat stuff. Especially if you switch on one of the scale modes.

• Locked thread