Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm considering getting a used iPad for the sole purpose of adding it to my desktop music production setup, running MIDI into the iPad and audio out to Ableton rather than building complete tracks within the iPad. I'm primarily looking at various synth apps as well as TouchOSC (or other control apps). More specifically, I'm looking at Thor, ReBirth, Animoog and a few of the Korg offerings.

Couple questions:

1. What iPad models should I look at? How old can I go before the specs start to limit my app choice or cause noticeably reduced performance or sound quality? I'm looking for a non-mini model for more screen real estate and/or larger GUI elements.

2. How do the synth apps compare to their VST counterparts in terms of sound quality? Do the iPad apps have to use worse analog modeling algorithms due to processor limitations, or are they pretty much the same as their VST counterparts. For example, is the Thor iPad app nearly identical sound wise as using Thor in Reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Performance wise is there a big difference between the Air and Air 2 for synth apps though? It looks like used Airs are a good deal cheaper than refurb or used Air 2s. I'd like to refrain from springing for the latest and greatest before I'm sure an iPad will end up being a permanent fixture in my music production setup. Regardless, I can definitely wait to see if anything happens in March.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Okay, you guys have sold me on the 2.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Follow up to my "which iPad should I get" question: the consensus was an Air 2 (preferably w/ at least 64GB of storage), but wait to see if new iPads are announced in March. Well a new model was announced in March and they are pretty cheap (refurb Air 2s are only $10 less than new versions of the new models). From what I gather, the processor on the new models is a bit faster (unclear how much), but it is thicker and has a worse display (not laminated to the glass, no anti-reflective coating). Is the upgraded processor on the new version worth it for synth apps, or should I save some money and find a used Air 2?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I finally got an iPad and am ready to dive head first into creating music with it. I'd like to grab a synth, something for making drum loops (mainly housey and hip-hopy) and something to tie both of these together, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options. I'm leaning toward Thor for the synth (has been something I've wanted to try since it was first announced for Reason), iMaschine 2 for the beats (mainly because I'm somewhat familiar with the Machine hardware, no idea if the app is actually any good), plus Audiobus 3 and maybe Loopy to tie everything together.

The one feature I think I'd be missing is a MIDI piano roll to record/tweak synth parts that I'm not able to nail with the soft keyboard (I believe Thor only has a step sequencer), so maybe I need something more DAW-like than Loopy? Could I use Garageband to do that? Any other straightforward options? Not sure I need a full fledged DAW app at this point, but if there's one that's easy to use for this sort of thing I'd be open to it.

Finally, anything else I should consider besides iMaschine 2 for beats?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Alright this Gadget thing is pretty cool

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have experience with the paid gadgets? Are they worth the cost? I'm considering picking up Bilbao and Abu Dhabi, maybe even Kamata (demo I watched made it seem like much more than just a chip emu) while they are on sale.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you have a keyboard/controller? There are tons of ways to go: wired or wireless, portable or full-size, adaptor-based or purpose-built. You can buy a dongle to make your midi/USB keyboard Bluetooth compatible. As great as multitouch is, you hit the limitations pretty quickly.

Hijacking this. I'm in the market for 2 items:

a) Super portable wireless MIDI keyboard. I already have a full size 49 key controller for my desktop, so this is exclusively for travel/bed use. Trying to bang out progressions and melodies using the onscreen keyboards (especially Thor's) is the one thing I can't stand about iOS production. I'm leaning toward the Korg microKEY Air-25.

b) A portable audio interface with the following features:
  • MIDI in, so I can send MIDI from Ableton, through my desktop audio interface's MIDI out, to the iPad
  • A flexible audio input (i.e. handles line, hi-z/instrument or a mic). My priority here is the instrument-in so I can run a guitar through amp modeling apps
  • Stereo audio out to send audio back to my computer
  • Optional/bonus: headphones can be used to monitor a different signal than what is coming through the main out (I assume this means the interface needs 2 stereo output channels, but maybe not), so if I get a DJ app I can cue in headphones while the speakers or main out play a track. Not a deal breaker though since there are :10bux: dongles that can split the headphone jack to accomplish this (albeit in mono) with some DJ apps
I'm looking at the iRig Pro I/O for this. Looks like it checks all the boxes (except maybe the optional one), and coming with Amplitube for iOS and desktop is a nice bonus.

Any recommendations for either of these items? The OP is pretty out of date. I have seen some negative reviews for some of the iRig products claiming there are audio quality issues when running on battery power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Been looking into other options. Sounds like I could just get the studiomux app to handle sending audio/MIDI between Ableton and the iPad. No need to get an audio interface for the iPad just for that.

• Locked thread