Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Reposting from the 'small questions' thread:

quote:

I'd like to do some simple electronic drums at an open mic performance. My bassist has an iPhone and reckons there may be some simple drum machine apps we could use. (This thread confirms that!) Can anyone recommend some (preferably free)?

So I guess software does exist, it's just a question of which to get and whether it'd be right for the job.

I did get one reply to the original post:

CPL593H posted:

You can get a decent used drum machine for 100 dollars or less. I would recommend that over using an iphone app. Unless you want it to sound lovely. Cheap keyboards also have simple drum patterns as well and those are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.

I bought this drum machine used for 90 bucks and you can probably find one around that price online:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrt3/

It's pretty easy to use.

I'm hesitant to buy a physical drum machine since I like programming beats in DAWs and it seems a bit redundant to get some extra hardware just for that job. Thoughts?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks for the advice! EasyBeats is more or less what we're looking for, though we can't find any way to change time signatures or program multiple beats (guess it's time to read the manual).

I'll look into some of the cheaper paid-for software next.

• Locked thread