Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Every single comment seems to suggest that doesn't actually work unless there is some sort of missing step or the guy had a great stroke of luck with his particular cable set.

I'm for sure interested in checking it out, so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I didn't make up what other people are saying, but I have no way of knowing they aren't all idiots, admittedly.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

rio posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting consistent drum sounds in GarageBand? I can't lay down any drum tracks because even when tapping at the same velocity, I am getting different dynamics out of the drums. I wish there were just some button to turn it off altogether.

Or is there some better drum app that I could just import from?

I tend to use the Korg iElectribe and iMS-20 drum machines more than GarageBand's drums. If you're looking for something that looks like an actual drum set I'm not sure. The iMS-20 will let you tap it out yourself and the iElectribe has a traditional sequencer where you lay out the pattern over steps.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I own iElectribe (there's also a Gorillaz version I have yet to see mentioned which contains different Gorillaz samples to play with, but I'm pretty sure the original is better), ans iMS-20 and Garageband and love them all.

That being said, should I also throw down an additional 15 for Rebirth on the iPad? Is it worth it? Only being able to get the mp3s through their online share feature sounds pretty assy.

Any thoughts on the Reactable Mobile and Konkreet Performer apps?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 20, 2011

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I think Rebirth will really tie my music production app folder together :) Yeah, that's how I'll justify it to myself.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I doubt it will be iPad 2 specific, I can't see any reason the iPad 1 couldn't handle it. They do claim to be working on making it a universal app, evidently.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

FLX posted:

Holy crap, this is the best app-demonstration video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2FHIZWfJE

It's for Everyday Looper which is a loop-pedal app, which I might have to get now just because of the amazing video.

I hate everything about that guy, but this app looks kickass. I see it fluctuates in price fairly often and right now it's the highest it's ever been. I put it on my wish list for appshopper, but I might cave early too. gently caress I've spent a lot on amazing music apps.

God dammit I have zero impulse control for kickass things for my iPad. I bought it within minutes of discovering. It looks like it's worth 6 bucks for sure.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

mitztronic posted:

Been going through these for the MS-20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5FhZSrDVk

So far they are pretty good/informative... I love this thing it's so fun :3:

e: Are there any really good atmospheric synths (spacy sounds and such) on the iPad? I dont want an iphone-only app.

I watched all of those too. I highly recommend this video series for anyone curious about the iMS-20 app.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I have a first gen non-jailbroken iPad and it never crashes on my music apps. I use it all the time and reboot occasionally to ensure any large installations don't cause problems for me. Maybe the older ones need to be rebooted more often due to memory constraints or something?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

It works really well, as advertised, on my first gen iPad with iOS5.

Has anyone tried using Kaossilator with an iPad? How does it scale?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 18, 2011

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I love Animoog and that funky drum machine app. The "robot" filter is really really fun to play with.

Can anyone explain to me what sorts of things you can do with WIST. What combinations of apps and abilities have you found to be successful. What is interesting to mess with?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I have almost every single app in this thread and only mess around for fun with them, but I regret nothing!

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Garage Band might also have what you want.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I don't see any video, but maybe it's just me.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

TheNinjaD posted:

The truth is, once you start buying music apps, you'll just want to buy them all. I can only speak for the iElectribe but I've used it quite a bit. I only wish it were easier to transfer beats to other apps.

This man does not lie. I own almost every music app and I love the poo poo out of most of them. You should all download iExplorer or iPhone Explorer if you'd like access to the iOS filesystem without jail breaking. You can pull saved sounds off your device and dump new stuff in.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I have tabletop, but I've never actually messed around with it. Thanks for reminding me.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I've never regretted going 64, even for a second. 16gb would be ok if it wasn't for the fact that you usually need double the space of the app's actual size to install poo poo. gently caress juggling apps back and forth all the time.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Faster posted:

Thanks this was really helpful. I don't even know what iOS music production is capable of using just the apps and the iPad but I would be interested to mess around with minimal electronic stuff (Mark Bell/Bjork production style).

It's capable of quite a lot. I think a Gorillaz album was done entirely on the iPad.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I'm pretty sure the headphone jack on my macbook can be used as a line in if you wanted to. I'm not sure about the Air though.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

You can make full songs in iElectribe, it's just a little trickier than making straight forward loops. That program rocks.

I think the original is better than the Gorillaz branded version based on what I've seen.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

You guys weren't kidding about Figure being hot poo poo. My friends all loved dicking around with it. The interface isn't perfect, but it does a good job of providing you lots of configurations without being daunting. It looks slick and sounds impressive when you combine effects and shapes and swing around from one sound and instrument to another, especially after you start laying and recording.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Do any of you have Lemur? It gives me a boner just looking at it.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

There are terrific youtube videos out there on how to use all of those apps. There are even better videos on how to use a real MS-20. It's identical to the app and you can actually learn how to use those patching panels to great effect.

Find a simple djing tutorial and look into BPMs and Beat Matching. Once you know how to beat match and a simple scratch move you can gently caress with DJay. It might even beat match for you, but understanding what it is happens to be fundamental to the task.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for putting that app on my radar. I also have been meaning to mess with Traktor more on my macbook, so this is going to next level poo poo.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Pulling sound around from one app into the next is for sure how you bring ipad music apps from the next level up. You can truly go crazy with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Nice catch! I'm going to start playing with that immediately.

• Locked thread