Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ableton users, look at TouchAble :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you're interested in Ampkit, note that IK Multimedia also has an Amplitube app available. Similar deal, also uses a dongle.

Similarly, if you have an interest in iSequence, but would like your own synths and/or a more typical sequencer, there's Nano Studio -- currently only available in an iPhone version, but works pretty well on an iPad at 2x scaling.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

hamza posted:

And, on playing with it, it seems pretty much impossible to hit multiple keys at the same time which renders it kind of useless.
Just to let you know you're not doing anything wrong, the NanoStudio download page says the PC version is restricted to single keys.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

Impressive haul of apps but probably costs less than the start-up software for a home studio.
Currently sells for $81.84 plus whatever they paid for Amplitube. And $19.99 of that was just for iElectribe.

Yeah, I'm bored.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FLX posted:

I also just made a quick YouTube video, showing the newly added support for USB MIDI keyboards inside the KORG iMS-20 iPad app.
Happen to know any other apps that support MIDI in, off the top of your head?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm a bit underwhelmed at the selection of soft synths in Garageband. In particular, the lack of breath instruments -- like horns, harmonica, flute, etc. (I did find one 'brass' patch).

Edit:

quote:

- you don't seem to be able to edit your midi tracks after recording them in real time. I.e. if you want to change a note afterwards, you'll have to play the part again.
Wow, I just realized the full meaning of this. I guess I was way off in my assumptions of what this product is.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 11, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HotCanadianChick posted:

The original Garageband wasn't a full-blown DAW either.

If anyone was expecting anything other than the Babbys First Casio Concertmate of audio creation apps, they're going to be disappointed, since that's always been Garageband's niche. For anyone who wants to do anything more than play around, that's always been what Logic was for.
Understood, but some things are pretty glaringly missing or just odd, even for a 'toy'.

I wasn't expecting a full-featured effects panel, but there's not even a volume envelope for fading the beginning/ending of clips? In a program that's based around one-take clips?

Can't trim the beginning of clips, but you can trim the end? I can maybe understand this with audio clips if this was 1998, but MIDI clips?

The smart guitar/bass only shows the first seven (eight?) frets, and isn't zoomable or scrollable? When you choose a keyboard, you get three "sizes" to choose from, but only one fretboard?

Anyway, for info, M-Audio Oxygen controllers work too. As does the IK iRig dongle.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So it seems that Garageband won't route its audio output to Bluetooth headphones, even when every other app does.

Anyone else try this? Wondering if I'm missing something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, the Beatmaker 2 devs have said for a while (most recently on Apr 26, that I know of) that they'd be making "an iPad version" which would come as a free update, so I'd guess it'll be universal.

Also, another difference with NanoStudio is Beatmaker 2 supports "unlimited" tracks. I've used up to 16.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheNinjaD posted:

I can now report on the iRig with some actual experience.

It does what it says and I have had no serious or minor problems with it. I have not attempted to use the built-in headphone jack ...
So how do you hear what you're playing, or other tracks? Last I messed with it, when the iRig was plugged in the device speakers didn't work, and neither would bluetooth headphones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

keyframe posted:

Line 6 just released some midi keyboards compatible with ipad:

http://line6.com/mobilekeys/overview
Don't all (or most) USB MIDI controllers work with the iPad, through the Camera Connection Kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like today's GarageBand update adds "Smart Strings" and a MIDI note editor.

• Locked thread