Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
There is also the Alesis ProTrack for around $130 that acts as a digital audio interface for an iPod. It comes with stereo XLR (even phantom powered) and 1/4" inputs.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

For $0.99 you can't go wrong with it. The controls and interface could be a bit more refined though. I keep trying to edit two parameters at once, which always registers as a pinch-zoom motion. Same with panning when you don't exactly hit a button. I hope they'll add some more devices to set them apart from ReBirth.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

(using an ipod 4 for this)
The next update will fix that bug for those devices. I hope it comes out soon - together with my suggested interface improvements :argh:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

What the hell is that?! :haw:

Fairlight Pro, Unviersal $49.99

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

hmmxkrazee posted:

Right now I'm deciding between Nanostudio and Beatmaker 2 (or others). I want an app just to lay down rough drafts of beats on-the-go and won't be using it to create the final version. Most of my stuff is hip-hop/r&b/electronic. I was also looking at Music Studio but it seems like that has more real instruments like guitars/cellos/etc rather than synths and whatnot.

I guess all of those apps would work for you. I don't know what kind of beat samples they include, but they should all let you arrange them on a track. I haven't tried any of those apps myself, so maybe google for some reviews or demo videos of them (and then report back ;) ).

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone tell me which MIDI interface is leaning towards 'the most useful' lately? I've been reading up on Genome (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/08/full-featured-genome-midi-sequencer-for-ipad-and-a-chat-with-its-creator/#comments) and its just amazing.
I see the MIDI Mobilizer mentioned a lot. The Alesis IO Dock seems to become popular as well and offers a lot more than just MIDI. Of course you could try your luck and just get a normal USB-to-MIDI cable and the Apple Camera Connection Kit which apparently works quite well for some people/apps.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 25, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I just really wish they would get that iPad-native support update out soon. It's annoying seeing it in 2x mode...

They released an update making BM2 universal a week or so ago :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

People are developing a virtual MIDI environment for iOS apps which lets apps control each other on the same device. E.g. using the Polychord app to control the nLog Pro synth running in the background: http://stereoklang.se/blog/?p=18430

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Korg iElectribe and iMS-20 apps are 50% off until September 28th!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 25, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ReBirth dropped the price by 50% too!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Updated the OP with an Overview and a Video section. If you've seen some great videos or video-reviews let me know!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

KORG's got a new App out: iKaossilator for the iPhone/iPod. It's $9.99 until November 30th.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

COME ON. WHAT THE HELL. SRSLY U GUISE.

Hopefully the app is a million times better than the promo video.

Here's a screenshot:

Apparently being released at $0.99, going up to a regular price of $29.99 eventually...?

It's out! Going to grab it as soon as I get home from work!

Here's an article about it:
http://stereoklang.se/blog/moogs-ipad-synth-finally-released-animoog

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

DM-1 Vintage Drum Machine is on sale for $0.99 too. Looks like a pretty decent drum sequencer with a nice bunch of sample libraries.

http://appshopper.com/music/dm1-the-drum-machine

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Updated the OP with a FAQ section :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I've got a 16GB iPad 1. All music Apps I've tried ran pretty smooth so far. Only the new Animoog does crashes sometimes and GarageBand has to render more often than on the iPad 2. It's still far from being annoying though. There are new technologies that are very slowly being introduced to Apps, that let you run several music Apps at once, controlling each other and routing audio back and forth. I guess that using those will require the iPad 2's power to work properly.

For interface options, check out the OP. Generally you can just run the headphone out into your DAW to record the iPad's sounds. Many Apps support audio file export too. I think the KORG Apps can also be synced to a computer wirelessly via the WIST protocol.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Sacred Cow posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on hooking up a bass or guitar to an iPad2? I'm thinking about picking up an iRig but I've heard complaints about ambient static while playing. I've been waiting for the Line 6 Mobile In to come out but the only release date listed is "soon".

How about the Digitech iPB-10 :rock:

Video: http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2011/10/27/amped-review-digitech-ipb-10-ipad-driven-pedalboard/

EDIT: Technically though, it's not really feeding the Guitar into the iPad. The iPad just controls the pedalboard's sound settings.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Tabletop is a dollar right now.

Awesome! Had this on my wishlist for some time now! I hope it's better than Rhythm Studio with it's clumsy pinch/drag interface, that always gets in the way of having fun with the App :argh:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I think for $1 you can't go wrong. It comes with at least as many instruments as Rhythm Studio (it even includes a scratchable turntable to load music from your library onto :haw: ) and a way better interface in my opinion.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Heh, Animoog went up to $30 and dropped down to $0,99 again, a couple of hours later. What happened there?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I may get an Akai LPD8 controller

I've got one of those and the pads are really bad. I had to exchange it once already because some pads would stick or not trigger consistently. The pads of the new one all trigger at different hit strengths which is really annoying.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

You mean it's velocity sensitive? That's what I want. The reviews on Amazon make it seem like a good controller...

Yes, it's velocity sensitive, but very inconsistently so. Go ahead and try it out though, maybe I was just very unlucky with the two controller's I've had.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

jwvgoethe posted:

can someone explain to a complete synth newbie what these Korg apps are and why I should buy them? I've been playing with the guitar amp simulators which are great, but am at a loss about these.

The iElectribe is a drum machine with a sequencer. It lets you create and arrange drum sounds by shaping basic sound waves (and recorded samples). It's not very hard to learn if you know a little bit about synthesis.

The iMS20 is a monophonic synthesizer (also including a basic drum machine). That means you can only play one note at a time, but again, you can create your own sounds from the ground up by modifying basic sound waves. The synth is super powerful and also quite complex.

The iKaossilator lets you play various instrument samples just by swiping your finger on the touch screen. Lot's of fun and easy to learn.

If you are interested in synths, make sure to read through the first couple of pages of the "How to (re)create a sound" thread. It has great tutorials/exercises for absolute beginners. I also started by reading this thread and after an afternoon of playing around, all those buttons made sense and I didn't want to stop :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The iMS20 also has drum pads and a little drum synthesis part. The iElectribe is a lot easier to use/jam with though and also comes with some samples.

You can connect USB MIDI controller to the iPad with several accessories, e.g. the camera connection kit.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 30, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

jwvgoethe posted:

Is there something equivalent to ampkit for piano/keyboard sounds? I found an old usb midi keyboard controller and would like to take it to my band's practice and get sound from my ipad

Try it with the official Apple Camera Connection Kit. There are various Apps that can be played with a USB MIDI controller. Pianist Pro, iMS-20, Sunrizer, Animoog, GarageBand, etc.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hmmm, mysterious :raise:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I'm quite surprised how well my iPad 1 handles all the music apps so far, so an iPad 2 should run pretty smooth. I guess it depends on what exactly you want to do, but most of the popular music apps should be pretty stable and performant.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Aaaaand NanoStudio is finally universal: http://appshopper.com/music/nanostudio

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I can't get over how fuckin good NanoStudio is on iPad. All it really needs is time-stretching/pitch-shifting, loop points and multisampled instruments in Eden.

Having time-stretching in Sample Lab is really useful, and the way they implemented it makes it dead simple to get perfectly timed loops. If NS got something like this, I'd never use another music app.

Anyone working with a lot of sampled material should do themselves a favor and get the $9.99 "pro pack" in Hokusai. It's the best WAV editor by far for iOS.

Seconding that! The Mail App can also send audio files to Hokusai, by the way. I've arranged some loops in studio.HD in the past couple of days and it has been great to get sounds from Apps that don't support AudioCopy, like the DM-1 drum machine.

That's great! Can't wait for some reviews ... and maybe a sale :D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Rebirth is 50% off :)
http://appshopper.com/music/rebirth
http://appshopper.com/music/rebirth-for-ipad

renderful posted:

I've never seen a video embedded on SA. Is it even possible?

At least the mods can embed YouTube videos and I think there are also options regarding embedded videos in the user control panel.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Rockmate is on sale for $1.99. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm looking forward to :D

http://appshopper.com/music/rockmate

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

Is there a way to sequence synth apps in an iPad DAW? Specifically with Nanostudio and iMS-20, but I'd switch either of those if there was a decent DAW and synth with those features out there. Nanostudio is awesome as a sequencer but Eden seems kind of lacking for a lot of things I want to do and making samples of everything is more work than I want it to be, especially when the app sequencers are kind of limited.

There is Background MIDI, which supports triggering different, backgrounding apps with a MIDI controller. See the video here. I also think I read somewhere, that there are apps that can sequence Background MIDI apps from within the iPad, so you don't need external MIDI gear.

haunted sleep posted:

I was never into MIDI controllers so maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but I use an iPad 2 and nothing else. I do have a Behringer UCA202 that I sometimes use to feed audio from my iPhone to my iPad (usually for recording Animoog or sampling videos). Previous to switching to iOS for making music, I was using Renoise on my laptop.

If you can live with (or work around) the limitations of working in iOS, you can definitely produce complete songs with the right apps.

Could you maybe post some more about your workflow? E.g. from a song idea to the final result? Whenever I want to produce something on my iPad, I just end up sticking to one app, because the app switching, etc. feels too cumbersome to me personally. I like to adjust stuff while it's playing, so having to tweak and copy/paste again, before hearing the result in the mix doesn't really suit me (yet). In the "real world" everything I play with is hardware plus Ableton, so I have a lot of parameters/features directly at my fingertips, without the need to go into menus, switch applications or even use the mouse much. Still, I'm always drawn to the tons of great iPad apps regularly, but I never really get anywhere near the full potential they offer when used together.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I went through the OP and I'm still not figuring out how to do what I need. I just got an iPad 2 and an iRig. What I want to do is record guitars (if I could do this with an amp sim thatd be a huge plus), that I can layer tracks on. Guitar Rig and Garage Band do this, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to export the tracks individually so I can mix them on my computer. I guess I can just mute everything, but there has to be an easier way.

I haven't come across an App that lets you automatically export all tracks to individual audio files.

EDIT: Some other App news (more or less recent):

- DM1 Drum Machine (iPad) received a great update (Audio Copy, WIST, MIDI, etc.) and is down to $4.99
- Sunrizer Synth (iPad) is $4.99
- Sample Lab (iPad) is $4.99

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 17, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I was thinking of picking up Rebirth. It seems that it can only export to MP3 and not WAV, correct?

Correct, MP3 only. It supports AudioCopy though, so you could paste the audio into another WAV-exporting App. I don't know if that will give you better quality, but it might.

On an unrelated note, I just saw that ReBirth also supports WIST now.

Edit: If you're interested in ReBirth, you should also check out Tabletop, which gives you similar devices, but more flexibility.

Edit 2: Whoops, I meant Rhythm Studio, not Tabletop, even though Tabletop does the concept better.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 17, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I'm interested in Rebirth primarily because of the TB-303 emulation. I have technobox2, which is a really good sounding 303 emulator, but it doesn't support AudioCopy.

How does Rhythm Studio's 303 emulator sound? I'm looking for a really hard, crunchy sound, so distortion effects and whatnot are important.

Here, I recorded both for you:
http://soundcloud.com/flixxx/sets/tr303-rebirth-vs-rhythm-studio

I think the ReBirth 303 sounds a lot better. It doesn't seem to distort too much by itself (like the Rhythm Studio one does), but in ReBirth you can add a distortion effect.

EDIT: The audio glitches are from SoundCloud's conversion.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just saw that they also have a dedicated 303 App, which is currently more expensive though.

http://appshopper.com/music/digital-bass-line-db-303

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The new Rhythm Studio (Universal, $0.99 sale) update is out. They added a new synth, WIST, background audio support and bluetooth song sharing.

Tabletop (iPad, $0.99) got an IAP for a 303 by the way, but it costs $3.99 I think, so I haven't tried it yet.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 20, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Olivil posted:

Anybody has experience with Tapletop?

I'm not that interested but it's currently 1$ so

I really like it and prefer it over Rhythm Studio. You get a bunch of nice devices with the $0.99 App, and can add to those with IAPs. What's cool about Tabletop is that you manually connect all the devices, so you can plug your synth into an external distortion effect box and that into a mixer, plug the mixer into a filter and that into a recorder, etc. There is also a global trigger device which you can use to create and play patterns.

Here's a demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nobQnEJDkw&feature=related

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Had an urge to play around with ReBirth for iPad today: YouTube / SoundCloud

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

Tried both, same problem. If it weren't for the feedback thing, it'd be super convenient and sounds great.

I found this article where it says to use a Y-cable's left output, as recommended by the iRig devs, to reduce Amp/PA feedback.

http://www.ipadcreative.com/blog/2010/11/3/irig-ipad-guitarist-musician-heaven.html

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don't all (or most) USB MIDI controllers work with the iPad, through the Camera Connection Kit?

That's right. The nice thing about the Line6 keyboards is that you don't need the CCK though, because they connect directly to the iPad's (and iPhone's!) data port.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 6, 2012

• Locked thread