Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Trig Discipline posted:

Spectrum Analyzer has dropped from $15 to 99 cents, no idea how long it will last.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like I finally have to update to iOS 6 :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Check out Beatmaker 2. I haven't used it myself, but many people seem to regard it as one of the best music studio apps out there. http://www.intua.net/products/beatmaker2

Also, if you don't mind something a little bit different UI-wise, check out Tabletop: http://retronyms.com/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

guys, Turnado:
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Turnado/

super-capable FX VST gets ported to the iPad, audiobus and MIDI in/out/clock already there. thing is crazy, i'm definitely sellin my kaosspad now.

That looks interesting. I guess you'll need a USB audio interface connected to your iPad for this?

By the way, I bought "Pixitracker 1 bit" as well as the regular version a couple of days ago and both are super fun (and super simple) tracker apps, ideal for people who don't need lots of extra features and just want to jam on the couch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9hg1tPlk0

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hey iOS people,

I'm kind of thinking about maaaaaaybe possibly getting an iPad to replace most of my hardware gear - I love my hardware, but I really have some major issues with space and I think a compact iPad-centered solution might work for me. I'd like to ask you guys about some things that I'm still not sure about after looking at stuff on the internet, because I've done enough jumping into things without asking around and planning properly first.

App-wise I'm mostly interested in the Nanostudio and the iPolysix - do they support multiple MIDI devices? It's apparently possible to connect several separate MIDI controllers to one iPad, but would it be possible to assign, say, two keyboards to two different synths on either of these two apps while fiddling around with knobs and sliders on a NanoKONTROL (or an equivalent) to control a third synth, for example? What apps and devices would I need to do something like this? I want to be able to perform stuff live with at least two people playing synth lines live and twisting knobs and poo poo.

e: Also, how much of a hassle would such a setup be, if viable in the first place?
NanoStudio has a great MIDI implementation. I never connected more than one USB keyboard to it, but you can assign an individual MIDI channel to each instrument and even map MIDI CCs to a bunch of parameters (volume, pan, XY pad axes, etc.). iPolySix only supports one MIDI device as far as I know and has fixed MIDI CC mappings.

There a a lot of great apps for the iPad, especially single instrument apps like the Korg stuff, Animoog, Tenori-On, etc. but you might need more than one iPad to really put up a performance, since there is no universal multitasking or global app management functionality. Also, sequencer apps are still not the tightest. The iPad makes a great and versatile companion, but I don't think it can replace a hardware setup or music workstation laptop yet.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Is it possible make MIDI OUT tracks in Nanostudio to control hardware synths?

No, it only supports MIDI input. There are sequencer apps though like the Tenori-On App and Genome Sequencer. But as I wrote , those can be a little loose sometimes and benefit from playing alone on one iPad, without other stuff in the background.

I made two tutorial videos for the Tenori-On app, by the way:
MIDI Output: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBbBlOciUo
MIDI Input: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-_MJoAZqo

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Owning an iPad is really great in many ways, so I would just sell as much gear as necessary to buy one iPad and then just try it out and see how it works for you. Let us know your experiences with it then :)

Edit: I can imagine a setup with an MPC, a MIDI Keyboad and two iPads would work really well. Do drums and sequencing on the MPC and use the iPads for various synths.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just checked out Waldorf's Nave synth and it's amazing. It has a really nice interface and sounds awesome! You can also map custom MIDI CC's to several parameters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJCe-omDaU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Propellerheads released Reason's Thor synth on the iPad!
http://appshopper.com/music/thor-polysonic-synthesizer

Its patches are cross-compatible with the computer version!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Kind of bizarre how the manual says literally nothing about MIDI in that thing.

Well, it's an iPad app v:shobon:v

I'll try it out later and report back.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Questions: The drum parts can obviously be used for synth purposes as well, but can those sounds and their parametres be controlled in real time when a song is being played back? Also, can I control one synth's knobs on the iPad screen while playing a second one with an external MIDI keyboard?

Drum parts can be played and tweaked while the song is running. The manual doesn't specify MIDI CC# for the drum parameters though and I haven't managed to use my MIDI controller for anything else than triggering drum parts with the keyboard (MIDI channels 3-8). The Synth parts however can both be played and tweaked with an external controller (MIDI CC# for various parameters are written in the back of the manual). You can control one synth externally and the other one on the iPad's touchscreen. :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

- it is NOT possible to tweak drum sounds while a song is playing, FLX! Makes sense, though, seeing as it would somehow have to sample them in real time. This also explains why the drum patch parametres don't have CC values!

drat, you're right! It actually mutes the synth part when switching to the drum parts while the song is playing. Sorry about that! It does however continue to play the drum parts and I can edit them while they are playing. At least it looks/sounds that way.

About the rest:

FLX posted:

Well, it's an iPad app v:shobon:v

You definitely have to get used to the iPad's interfaces (and disable the four-finger swipe gesture to switch between apps). The iPad synth apps are best used as single instruments, which are played and sequenced with external hardware. If you want awesome synth drums get the iElectribe, which is basically an exact copy of an ER-1 plus some additional features.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Something more or less related: I keep coming back to the ReBirth iPad app. It was one of the first "big" music apps and the interface and sound are still awesome. It's a great app especially when you're on the go and you just want to go nuts in one single app. Dual 303s, plus an 808, plus a 909, plus FX and easy automation of almost everything across a whole song. It makes the iPad into a crazy acid jam machine.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Uhhhh what just happened I downloaded Propellerhead's Figure and now it's three hours later

Yeah, Figure is amazing! You almost can't do anything with it that sounds bad. But this also means that I never really feel like I created the music that I put together in it myself. I kind of prefer iMaschine over it because of that, as "bus ride" iPhone app.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Here's an illustrated reason why it seems I need to go with NanoStudio or something loving else after all rather than the iPolySix.

I'm playing the exact same beat and the exact same note with all three apps. The note should play at the same time as the drum.

This is on the so-called "low" latency setting. No other apps are running in the background. What the hell, Korg?

Is it out of sync just for a couple of beats after you press play, or is it off constantly?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

and a behringer uca202.
Oh thanks, that's a great recommendation! I've been looking for an iPad-powered, USB audio interface and this seems exactly like what I want.

I would like to buy Samplr and play with it, but currently they say that the only way to import samples is through iTunes :downs: Are there similar Apps that support AudioCopy, or direct recording through the micorphone?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

samplr supports audiocopy and has a function to record from the microphone. the dude who makes it said he was going to release a big update soon... 3 months ago :(. i really hope he releases it, it's pretty much my favorite music app.

Sold! It seems like great fun after recording the first "ooohs" and "aaaahs" and playing around with them :haw: I do miss the ability to trim samples (or set in/out points for the other modes apart from the keyboard mode) and I'd like overdub recording of my finger movements and a consistent 4 beat count-in before recording movements. Maybe we'll get that in the update.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Oh god, Propellerhead's Figure just added AudioCopy support! Couple that with Samplr and you have the ultimate jam session tool! :dance:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just using NanoStudio to play is not a good option because it won't output over bluetooth nor is it wise to be messing around with loading tracks while driving.

I just want to be able to queue up some sketches and easily listen to them in the car. :qq:

You could open the songs in GoodReader (you should already have GoodReader installed ;) ), put them in a directory there and it should play them one after the other.

Edit: AudioCopy the track into Hokusai (you'll need the AudioCopy IAP) and then hit "Quick Export" and choose to open the file in another App after export. Choose "Open in GoodReader" when the export is done. From GoodReader you can also copy files to/from a computer over WiFi.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 29, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

This belongs in here as well: modular - for iPad & iPhone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnS8ykzWj4

Looks awesome!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

PulseCode's Modular iPad app is out :dance: It's free with IAP for more modules. 5$ gets you all modules, including all future ones, so that's a good price in my opinion.

http://www.pulsecodeinc.com/modular.html

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mmmh, well. I just got home and played a little with the app and patching is frustrating as hell!!! Your fingers always obscure the patch points and the app is really finicky where it wants you to release the cables. The knobs, buttons and zoom gestures in general act strange sometimes, which was my main gripe in their Rhythm Studio app as well. Also, the rack space is quite small and there aren't any small multiple modules (or ways to "stack cables" :haw: ).

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 12, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Looptical was released today, which is a music studio app made for the small iPhone (5) screen. Anybody want to give it a try and report back?

http://appshopper.com/music/looptical

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

lord funk posted:

FYI - I'm putting TC-11 on sale this Thursday. First time since it launched almost 2 years ago that it's going on sale. Mark your calendars / spread the word / buy it for grandma and grandpa!

Thanks for the heads up! I will most probably buy it then! So far it always looked very complicated and I wasn't sure if spending "that much" money on it would be worth it, for me and my personal iOS music app taste.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

I'm having a ton of fun with Figure. Played with it a bit last night jamming with a friend on acoustic guitar, but I didn't really have the hang of it yet. Just a moment ago I made a great sounding looping bit with drums, lead synth, and bass all working together really well. It feels like a game, but the end result is astonishingly good.

Are there any apps that work in a similar way but are more flexible for drums, like letting me write them in instead of having to play them while recording? Even an app purely for drums would probably be fine, as I could just prerecord them

While you still have to play/overdub the drums with it, give iMaschine a try. It's simple like Figure, but gives you a little more control. If you want to go deeper, check out iMPC (still have to play the beat), iElectribe and ReBirth ... and "8bit Drums" :-p

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I might be getting an iPad soon. What are some basic apps that everyone gets for music production/performance?

Depends on what you want. GarageBand and NanoStudio are very good DAW-like apps. Samplr is a fantastic sampling and performance app. Then, there are tons of great single-instrument apps (Korg iMS-20 etc, Thor, Animoog, etc.). And lastly apps to just play around with like Figure, iKaossilator, iMaschine.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Thanks, this is a good starting point. I'm mostly interested in live performance and looping but I'm sure there are other mind bending possibilities I've never even considered.

Then also check out Loopy and for funsies: Everyday Looper

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

If you're interested in loving with live sampling, I would heartily recommend Werkbench. It's got a unique interface that looks weird at first, but it's really cool once you get used to it.

Wow! I didn't know Werkbench "werked" like that! I guess I'll check it out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pg1EIkCbVc&t=58s

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, why didn't get the iElectribe earlier?

Actually, I know exactly why I didn't: I expected it to be something completely different, more like an Electribe MX or something, just a straight-up dance music machine with cheesy preset sounds and all.

I was glad to find out that wasn't the case at all (although I would've been fine with something like an MX). drat dem sounds and dem glitches :allears:

It's almost exactly like the Electribe ER-1 (mkII) hardware drum computer, which I actually bought after having so much fun with iElectribe. I think it's a really versatile instrument and it's cool that it lets you record knob movements into its sequencer!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The ER-1 doesn't have a flutter function though, does it? Because that is one fantastic feature.

That's right. They added flutter only recently to the iElectribe App.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I will also purchase the TNR-i and tenor-e apps
I don't think you'll need TNR-i if you buy TNR-e.

nrr posted:

how do i learn how to use all this crazy new fangled poo poo? im old as hell and don't know how to use any of this stuff properly and i want someone to hold my hand like a baby through some of it.

Laserjet 4P's thread is an incredible resource! I've learned my synth basics there and it gave me a great start into a new hobby addiction. What do you want to do? There are tons of different Apps and things to do with them. Sample & loop audio, sequence instruments, build sounds, etc.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

So what are my options for audio or MIDI on an iPad Air? I only have the Camera Kit as of now.

Most class compliant MIDI USB controllers/keyboards should work. You might have to power them externally or with a powered USB hub though. Same with Audio Interfaces. Many interfaces also advertise iPad compatibility.

What exactly are you looking for?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Eegah posted:

What are some good web resources for iOS music stuff? Most of what I can find is just app description dumps and link farm type sites.

I haven't read any of it yet, but there is a newsstand magazine for iOS music apps called "apptronica magazine".

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

For me it really helps if I just don't make any music tracks with my iPad and focus on improvised noise :haw:

https://soundcloud.com/flixxx/modular-nanostudio-pings-ios

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

OP still updating the thread? if not should we have a new one?

:blush: I'm sorry, I must admit I haven't kept up with iOS music apps in the past couple of months. If somebody wants to make a new thread with a more up-to-date OP, go ahead. I'm currently storing the screenshots from the OP in my dropbox and I can send them to the new thread poster, if he/she wants to continue using them.

Edit: or I'll just leave the pictures where they are so you can just use the current links.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 3, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

I'm looking at buying a CZ-101 and want its lovely entry-level 80s preset sounds preserved in all their glory. What do I need to record the hardware sound of a synthesizer into an iOS DAW?

You'll need a class-compliant or iPad-specific USB audio interface that's either powered by the iPad or a powered USB hub. Behringer makes small stereo interfaces that don't cost much and can be powered off the iPad's USB bus.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Looks like I might be playing my first solo show this summer, and because of logistics and money I'll only be using my iPad! My current plan is to run my tracks in NanoStudio, tweak select synth parametres in real time with an iCon iControl and play samples live with a KORG NanoKey 2. Very exciting! I've only ever played one show years ago and that was a noise thing where it didn't really matter what I played, so this is on a pretty different level of seriousness and requires quite a bit of planning and rehearsing.

Sounds great :) Make sure to record the show! I'd love to see it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

if anyone's interested, there's a music group collab going on in another subforum and all my submissions were made mainly with Samplr on iPad:
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/sets/adn-project-2014

sometimes i use a monotron delay hooked into a tascam so i can provide ambient noise or vocals, but other than that it's all sampling.
some proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpCksCzgcQ

more proof later :)

Well done :) Samplr is is one of those few apps that really seem at home on a touch screen device.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

lord funk posted:

New app! TC-Data is a MIDI / OSC controller based on TC-11. Check it out:

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/

https://vimeo.com/97844430

That acutally looks like exactly what I need at the moment. I recently got a CVpal USB-to-CV Eurorack module, which I'm using with the Little MIDI Machine iPad app so far, but a more "hands on" controller would be really cool too.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

BKPR posted:

This is the thing I don't get about "pro" apps. A "pro" would probably want to finish up their track on a computer, where their real software lives.

Well, it's called "pro" to make all of those consumers feel like pros :P How's the latency of those virtual pads by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Kinda bummed this thread has slowed down so much but Holderness is using the new app bundle system for their great Audiobus/IAA effects, which is also on sale, so get that.

Also don't update to iOS 8 yet, lots of apps (especially Korg ones and Animoog, also Cubasis and Auria) are broken/in review.

Animoog just got an update (even with AudioBus support) and Auria too. :)

Regarding this thread, what would you like to see? I know the OP is incredibly out of date and I must admit that there is so much stuff happening nowadays on iOS, that I can't really keep up with all of it anymore. If anybody wants to create a new and more up-to-date thread, go ahead. I can send you all of the pictures from the OP, if you need them.

• Locked thread