Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally got an iPad (months ago) and finally got around to wanting to record music on it. I've been over this thread several times and picked up a few things.

But this thread is more focused on electronic music, less on live instruments and vocals (but that didn't stop me from digging on iMaschine, Nanostudio etc).

Has anybody checked out Music Studio? It looks great, $14.99 and appears to be perfect for audio recording as well as programming the music.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/music-studio/id328608539?amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3Bmt=8&mt=8

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay. Here's what I want.

An app, or some plugin that works in Nano studio, where I can hum the notes and it's transcribed to midi.

That exists, right?

edit: I've been spending more and more time on the iPad making beets and music and loving it. But I realize being left handed and A.D.D., I tend to create music visually... "okay, hit this note, now let's hit a note 3 or 5 notes away. Yeah that sounds good, now go a half-step..."

Which is a great way to come up with interesting poo poo, until 4 hours later when you realize everything you've done is starting to sound exactly alike.

BUT When I hum the idea, there's no visual part of it - no music theory limitations except whatever my crazy head can come up with. Would love something like that.

I've got Nano, iMashine, Garageband, and some others that have been touted on here. I love them all, and at the same time end up with the same music on all of them.

edit: ONCE AGAIN I POST, THEN GOOGLE. I really should try going the other way around one day.
http://evolver.fm/2011/08/08/3-iphone-apps-let-you-hum-to-write-songs/

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2012

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Help me. Explain me. Tell me.

Suppose I want to make remixes. So that's vocal tracks - full length tracks - and electronic magic.

What's a workflow on that? Make the beats separately in one app, and then mix them in another app? I bought tabletop, love it, but still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. Everything I've found seems to be fantastic for making songs, as long as all sounds are originating in that one app.

I've got to be missing something.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks - I've seen Beatmaker - I'll check it out, and take a look at the other ones.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mobile-mixer-ipad-stand-bundle-8

Woot is selling what looks like a sweet rear end iPad mixer interface for $59 (msrp $139 but whatever)

oh MOTHERFUCK already sold out. I hate woot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh poo poo good point! drat, for some reason I thought it was going into the iPad docking port thingie. Screw that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone know if the original iRig can work with an iPhone 7, using the headphone jack to lightning adapter? If it can work, it would save me $80. The price difference between the iRig HD 2 and the original one.
I think I have both (not sure if I have a 6 or a 7, it's from work but I use it to record) I've been meaning to test them out. I'll try tonight and let you know.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay. I used my old iRig, plugged into my iPhone 6 or 7, it's got the new audio jack, so I had to use the adaptor, plugged in the irig, my old iPhone headphones and my telecaster, and did this with garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/gtr-test

The only thing I didn't like was I had to turn on the monitor option to hear it, which makes the audio MONO. Not a big deal, but still.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just curious - how come nobody likes Garageband for this stuff? At one point I dove deep into all the other stuff, spent a lot of time on Tabletop, buying the add ons, trying to do stuff, and then came back to Garageband and, well, honestly it's got some really good stuff - the looping, the synth modifying, piano roll... the one thing I'm not thrilled about is the lack of master effects. (This is all on my iPhone, btw.)

What does Gadget or iMaschine or any of those things do above and beyond plain old garageband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

theflyingexecutive posted:

A lot of those features came out years after people switched to other workflows, apple is playing catchup to other much better daws and its UI is stuck in that awkward phase where it hasn't fully committed to being a professional tool so there's a lot of cruft to appeal to the "push two buttons to make a song and show off your iPad and then never open the app again"
YES. That exactly. They were all about the prettiness of it, and burying the controls without any real way of getting to them. I hate that part; hate how it extended over to Logic Pro as well. I'm just too lazy to try to learn another DAW, and then another one at this point.

• Locked thread