Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I spent like $80 getting amplitube and the 4 track recorder for both my phone and pad and now GarageBand pops up for $5. I am hoping (only out of spite) that the amp sims are a little worse than the dedicated amp apps but in all probability they will sound pretty drat good.

Size is also a pretty big concern for me as well, I only have the 16GB model and it runs pretty close to full all the time, I would hate for the GB app to take up multiple gigabytes with just its loops and samples.

edit: That Apogee input looks significantly better than the Amplitube one. If it lowers the noise floor then I will be all over it. I am a terrible consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nota should be able to help with a bit of theory and reading. Another thing to consider is a tab-reading app like TabToolkit or Guitar Pro so you can download a tab for any given song and have it play back while you read along with it.

For ear training I prefer the aptly-named Ear Trainer. I have also used Karajan and EarMan but I prefer the lesson structure and overall layout of Ear Trainer better.

If you have an iPad then definitely buy Garageband, it's not education based but the sheer simplicity of constructing a song within it (without the need for any real instruments) will allow you a great understanding of how sounds work with one another.

edit: I linked the HD versions but all of these apps (except Garageband) are either universal or have an iPhone version as well, also a lot of them have a free "lite" edition to save you wasting $20 on an ear trainer program you never use (like me).

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 22, 2011

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually tried the Guitar Pro app simply because TabToolkit does everything I could possibly want it to do (except maybe allow editing of tabs). TT runs very well, has a nice layout, and the support team are very helpful with answers to queries (like the neverending battle to download tabs from ultimate guitar without using the official-yet-far-shittier UG app) and are grateful for any feature suggestions you may have in regard to future functionality.

TabToolkit was literally the main reason I purchased an iPad.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is a built in browser to download tabs (text, GP5 or PTAB files are all ok) which it then keeps in it's little internal library. You can also get the app to run a webserver which can be accessed through a browser on a mac/pc so you can upload any existing tabs you may have.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amplitube has some OK heavy sounds but gets a bit fizzy with full gain, it could just be the iRig interface adding a lot of background hiss to the proceedings though. If you have an iPad the Heavy Rock setting in Garageband is pretty good also, but again the iRig lets it down a bit, so I look forward to the release of the Apogee interface to see how the sound cleans up. Hopefully having the input and output as different connectors will resolve a lot of the feedback problems that the headphone input method seems plagued with, although there are no-feedback settings in both Amplitube and Garageband to try and rectify this it just seems to take a lot of the balls out of the sound and you end up with everything a bit muted and rounded.

I had a quick go at AmpKit but without the use of its own battery-powered input it very quickly devolves into a mess of noise and feedback, with the right connector it is supposed to be the best iOS amp sim for high-gain sounds.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
HEY EVERYBODY
http://appshopper.com/music/guitar-pro-2

Guitar Pro for iOS is FREE today so hurry up and grab it while the gettin's good.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting consistent drum sounds in GarageBand? I can't lay down any drum tracks because even when tapping at the same velocity, I am getting different dynamics out of the drums. I wish there were just some button to turn it off altogether.

Or is there some better drum app that I could just import from?

I think the velocity is accelerometer based and the more the iPad moves when you strike it the louder the note will be. If you sit the pad on a desk or something so it has no way of physically moving you may have a better chance at making the dynamics more even.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was thinking about the iPad as a music production tool and was wondering if there are apps that provide the functionality to use an iPhone as an audio input. For example, does Beatmaker allow you to have a headphone splitter hooked up to a couple of 3.5mm patch cables which then serves as a connector between the iPhone and iPad? The splitter is needed so you can actually hear what you are doing. This would theoretically allow the iPhone to use an app without audio saving (like Bebot) and have it serve as input for the iPad's studio apps. Then all the filters and stuff can then be applied.

Is this possible?

Any existing interface for iDevices will allow this, the iPhone running whatever music app becomes the instrument in place of the guitar/bass. It won't be an app specific thing, every app that allows recording (Garageband, Amplitube etc) will be able to capture any noises put through it and you will be able to monitor what is going on via the output method of your specific connector (ie you'll use the standard headphone port if using the Apogee iJam, but you'd use the piggyback connector on the iRig or AmpKit as they use the 3.5mm jack for both input and output).

The iJam would probably be the best for this situation (actually probably in every situation) because it uses the dock connector and will provide the best fidelity. The iRig has a noticeable hiss when recording and feedback is a pretty big issue because in and out both use the same cable. I can't speak for the AmpKit, it may be better due to it's battery powered nature but it is still using the 3.5mm mic connector for all it's audio duties.

To clarify, the whole chain will go like this:
(iPad with recording app) <-> (iJam or other interface) <-> (6.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable) <-> (iPhone running BeBot or whatever)

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The release date was meant to be the end of March but I also have seen very little information on the unit. There was a link on MusicRadar's deals of the week http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/digital_detail.asp?stock=11069999990602 but it says on order so it probably is still working its way through the distribution channels.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Most of the apps that have line-in support seem to have some form of anti-feedback capability but really it's a pretty poor compromise, everything sounds very flat and muted, it's just not fun to play an instrument and have that sort of sound coming out of the unit. If you're just looking to sketch down ideas then it will do the job but not for anything you'd want to release.

Also patiently waiting for the iJam to surface.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just want TNR-I to be available in Australia :(

Please take my money Yamaha!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have a play with this flash-based version and see if it keeps you entertained. There are some other music apps that offer the same sort of grid-based sequencing such as Soundgrid Live so you can get similar (perhaps even superior) functionality for 1/5 the price of the Yamaha option.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheNinjaD posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the iRig?

I've had one since they've been out, it works as advertised and some of the tones in Amplitube are pretty good. The only real issue is the overall sound quality, because both input and output are using the same jack feedback can get out of control really quickly, it does have an anti-feedback setting but that takes a lot of the punch away from the guitar tone and makes it sound thin, and there is a continual hiss in the background which gets worse the more gain is applied. But like you said sound quality isn't an issue for you and for rough demos it will do what you need.

Amplitube itself can get quite pricey if you buy the 8 track recorder functionality (comes with a single recording track by default) and any of the additional pedals or filters, and of course the app isn't universal so if you want it on both iPhone ad iPad you need to buy it twice. There are a few other amp sim apps out there so have a look into them and you may be able to get the same functionality if a different app for less than Amplitube will cost. Ampkit is probably the other "big" iOS amp sim (excluding Garageband) and it has it's own battery-powered interface which gets rid of some of the noise that the iRig has, although this also used the headphine jack for its in/out duties. Using an iRig in Ampkit quickly devolves into an unintelligible sonic mess due to the differences in the interfaces themselves.

The Apogee Jam is the top end of iOS interfaces, it uses the dock connector instead of the audio jack and as a result you get much clearer recordings. It's a bit more expensive but will make the overall mobile-studio experience significantly more enjoyable. I haven't used my iRig in months because I'm just not having fun listening to the music I'm playing when I want to explore the noises this app can make. If you have an iPad then the expense isn't that much different when you factor the cost of the apps (I spent about $60 just buying different versions of the program and the recording expansion add ons) as you can just buy Garageband for $5 and have far more functionality than all of the other iOS amp sim apps combined.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you don't care about effects then your options open up a lot as far as apps are concerned, there are tons of DAW programs that will just record whatever signal you throw at it, and the feedback issues will largely disappear with the iRig if you are only using it as an input and not monitoring at the same time. You can even just use the inbuilt mic in a DAW app for very quick and dirty demo recording, but it might not be good enough to promote your band's sound.
On an iPhone you won't get a better connection than the Apogee Jam (which can also be used as a hardware interface on a Mac, I don't know if it has PC support though), there are some other cheaper options and you can even make your own cable with the right adapters and a specific resistor, but you will get much better results with the Jam. You will be able to connect a mic and other instruments with the iRig but it's debatable if you will get significantly better results over just using the phones inbuilt mic, it might not justify the expense if all you want to do is get some ideas down.

Alternately you could get a small stand-alone unit like the Zoom R8 which will let you record top-quaility demos and also acts as a PC hardware interface for when you want to do more serious recording.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There won't be any issues if your monitoring occurs before the output gets to the iPad, the feedback only happens because the signal comes in from the instrument through the headphone jack then gets processed and sent back out that very same same jack, creating a small area where crosstalk and interference can appear. If you don't run the signal back of the iPad you won't get any feedback, and it only really showed up in high-gain amp sims so you'll probably never see the issue at all.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty cheeky to charge $50 for a program that emulates floppy disk seek and access times and has disk read failure as a standard feature. Nostalgia be damned, I want a program that takes advantage of the stability of the platform and not just "hey guys remember how poo poo floppies were? 50 bux thanks", not to mention for that price you can buy 20 other decent iOS synths at once.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh SNAP, I had no idea that was even on the cards. I've owned both Kaossilators and it will be very interesting to see how an app version holds up, but this has a 5 part looper which outdoes even the Pro model so I have high hopes for good things.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is officially no need for the Kaossilator hardware to exist anymore.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is a bit more tactile feedback in the Pro but this app decimates the capabilities of the standard Kaossilator, and you would need to think long and hard about whether the KPro is worth the extra $500 or so more than you pay for the app just to get those dials and outputs.

I'd like to see an overlay on the screen so you can actually tell where a specific note will be when you touch it, not having this adds to the whole "kaoss" ideal I guess but it's one of the main reasons I sold my KPro for a keyed synth.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Meteor and FourTrack get mentioned a lot when recording comes up but I have not used either. Searching appshopper for multitrack might lead you in the right direction if those first two aren't suitable.

For what it's worth I've never had a music app crash on me, and in general the only stability issues I have seen on the iOS platform have been jailbreak related. Some apps do have noted bugs from time to time but any developer worth their salt will get them sorted out ASAP.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have a first-gen iPad as well but I'm usually very active in my closing of unused programs so I usually enter into an app with all possible memory available, and I've never made anything with a large number of tracks so I probably skirt under the memory barrier each time.
The only "chuggy" app I have encountered is the recent TableTop audio environment which skips and glitches occasionally when sequencing multiple modules, but I'd pin all the issues it has onto the lower spec of the iPad 1, as individual modules by themselves play fine.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mine definitely makes noise when I press the keys, maybe power cycle the iPad?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This might be a very silly question but did you actually buy the AniMoog app and not the Moog Filtatron? Both are 99c currently and have pretty similar icons, and the Filtatron does exactly as you describe for me in iOS5.

Other than that maybe delete the app and download it directly to the iPad?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

jakewastaken posted:

Has anyone tried using Kaossilator with an iPad? How does it scale?

It scales about as well as any phone app in 2x mode, definitely not a native experience but it does have the advantage of making the loop selection buttons a bit bigger and further apart so it will be easier to select the right loop without needing to be as precise as with the smaller phone screen.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
iRig has a lot of hiss and feedback issues, Ampkit is powered so it can be a bit less hissy but it still uses the same single port for its in/out so feedback is still an issue. One of the better solution is the Apogee Jam, it's a little more expensive but uses the dock connector for input so you get far better audio quality, but make sure it is compatible with whatever amp sim app you end up getting. Then there is the Alesis IODock if you want to go all out.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only problem with pre-input monitoring will be that you won't get to hear any of the effects that your amp sim produces, it'll work in a production sense (which is also the area you would want the least background noise) but will be a bit of a letdown if you just want to jam out. If you have some sort of iPhone dock then you could route the output through that and avoid the feedback issues but you would then be tethered to that device.
The inbuilt feedback prevention that most of the apps have works reasonably well, it just sounds like someone has thrown a towel over your amp.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'd buy that Digitech unit in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a very capable (and underused) multifx processor, I'm terrible at digging through menus to get the sounds I want and I usually end up just using presets so having that sort of visual feedback when constructing a tone would a big advantage.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

...by using the headphone jack on the iRig with headphones or using it as a line-out to some speakers?. The jack on iOS devices can take an input and send output at the same time.

The headphone jack which he said he has not used? I think TheNinjaD is just using the iRig as an input device to record himself playing live so he doesn't need to monitor the sound coming out of the iOS device, neatly sidestepping around the feedback issues caused by the in and out lines being in such close proximity.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah there's no amp sim in tabtoolkit, it just shows tabs. Buy garageband for $5 and use the amp sims in it, then switch apps to tabtoolkit and strum away.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Apogee Jam is about as close as you will get to an interface made by Apple, this thing works on iPad/iPhone as well as Mac, and it's quite small and discreet so it won't look out of place hanging off the side of a Macbook Air.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah the Jam uses the dock port to connect so no issues there, the feedback on the iRig comes from the in and output going through the one little cable into the headphone jack. The Jam is definitely compatible with Garageband and Nanostudio (full list here) but it isn't compatible with Amplitube if you had that app in mind, most likely because they sell the iRig itself and wouldn't want their userbase to see the clear superiority of the dock connection method.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get a cable that has the 3.5mm headphone jack on each end and plug it into the line in on your computer, then just use Audacity/Reaper/Garageband to capture the resulting track.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was really cool, I'd never have thought a bass drum sound like that could have been coaxed from the monotron.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Is there an app that's similar to the drum machine that's built into Amplitube? I like being able to adjust the tempo and fills instead of messing with recorded drum tracks.

I haven't used the Amplitube one but it sounds similar to the smart drummer in Garageband, just change the tempo and slide a couple of icons around to get new patterns.
It's not quite the same but iKaossilator can let you make drum patterns very quickly but they are much more electronic in nature.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When you say have the amp go directly in are you referring to connecting the speaker out to the jam, or the headphone out? Other posts in this forum prefixed with multiple nevers inidcate that plugging anything except a matching impedance cabinet into the speaker out is a recipe for disaster. The headphone out will be more suitable but the sound will be different than what you would normally expect out of the amp as you will be bypassing the internal speaker and cabinet which adds a lot tot he overall tone. If you intend to use amp simulators like Amplitube or whatever then plugging the guitar directly into the Jam will be the best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

In Gadget, is there a way to loop a specific bar? IE: I have a 4 bar loop but just want to focus on the first bit?

If you change the time sig down from 4/4 to 1/4 then it will just loop the first count of the bar

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4lLNyRYCU&t=187s

• Locked thread