Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Has anyone tried twistedwave audio editor? I was looking for something like Sound Forge for ipad and this seems somewhat close. Also, any thoughts on the latest version of isequence versus sample lab? I was leaning towards isequence but both look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Skritch posted:

I looked at Twisted Wave for iOS, but then saw the demo for Hokusai and will probably get that instead. Hokusai appears to have more audio editing features, plus the Audacity-like ability to have multiple tracks is nice.

Between the other two, iSequence is more tracker-like and Sample Lab looks better for live groovebox-type use. It's up to how you prefer working. iSequence's ability to put different sounds on each single track, its automation view and its keyboard for note entry swayed me, because I was looking for something more than an Electribe-like sample sequencer.
Thanks for the reply. I went with iSequence as it definitely seemed more up my alley. Initially I thought it was great, but further use left me slightly underwhelmed. Some gripes I had were 1/16th note resolution only (doubled bpm for 1/32 resolution), poor latency, looping glitches, and wifi only ipad-to-pc transfer (no usb itunes transfer, iphone explorer works though). Basically, iSequence wasn't for me.

However, I did see that FL Studio HD had an update that allows for custom sample and instrument import, so I gave it a try and now that is my go to sequencer. FL addressed all the issues I had with iSequence and then some.

Twisted Wave is meh. It gets the job done but wasn't what I was really looking for. Hokusai on the other hand looks like my kind of wave editor and is out now for free, albeit with IAPs totaling $13. Going to give it a try tonight and see what's up with it.

One more thing, any word on the stability of Beatmaker 2 on the ipad? Itunes reviews have been saying it crashes a lot but I wanted to get a second opinion here.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

plotskee posted:

I've been using it a ton recently, I would occasionally have problems until I started quitting all other backgrounded apps prior to use. Since doing that, it's only crashed on me once in the last couple months. Pretty solid. I mentioned previously in the thread but will again - if you're gonna be using Beatmaker 2 on the ipad, jailbreaking and using RetinaPad makes the experience roughy three hundred times more enjoyable.
Thanks for the heads up. And on that note, some good news: The devs on the Intua forums posted on the 9th that they submitted the latest Beatmaker 2 update to the app store for review. The new version includes native ipad graphics support as well as supposedly fixing the memory issues. I'm going to wait for the update before I buy it as it should be released any day now.

Hokusai...I really want to like this, but as it stands now the controls don't feel up to par for an audio editing app. I'll give it a few more updates before I officially make up my mind about it.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 16, 2011

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I've only tried the pc demo for Nanostudio. It looks nice and does it's thing very well but I never bought because it's not something I see myself using on a regular basis.

However, I can't rave enough about Beatmaker 2. So far I've used iSequence and FL Studio HD and neither one of them can hold a candle to BM2. Some things I like about it off the top of my head are: Low latency, a pretty decent sequencer (capable of 1/96th resolution), a user-friendly gui, and possibly the best wav editor I've used on an ipad. There's a lot more I like about it but I don't want to build a wall of text.
To sum it all up, BM2 allows me to tweak a sample in almost the same way as my MPC. If you do a lot of sample based production then I highly recommend it.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Absolute Zeroes posted:

...nano studio needs a free demo badly before I'll dive in there.

There's a NanoStudio demo that you can download from the dev's website. The only catch is that you run it on your pc or mac but at least you can click around and get a better idea of what to expect out of it.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^Yup, an iRig or something similar would suit your purposes just fine.

Can anyone explain how FM mode in Sunrizer works? I assumed Osc 2 becomes the modulator signal and Osc 1 becomes the carrier signal but I'm so new to synths that I'm not quite sure. Unfortunately, the Sunrizer manual is tragically outdated (it's still under Horizon synth 1.1).

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

FLX posted:

I'd like to record the notes into my MPC sequencer and then play them back again into the iPad synth.

For a non-app specific hardware option, the IK Multimedia's iRig MIDI has midi thru.

Or if you have a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS, you can hook up the controller to the MPC and soft thru a MPC midi out to the ipad midi in. This is how I've been doing things recently and my quality of life has skyrocketed.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^Nice! I've been waiting for that sale. 50 percent off is the lowest they will go in price too.

hypersleep posted:

...I've never been a fan of Yonac's apps. They just sound sterile and lifeless to me. It's $5.
I bought Yonac's mini synth pro recently and although I haven't had much time to mess with it, I do hear what you mean. Magellan does look interesting but if mini synth pro is any indicator then I probably won't jump on it right away.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^Good looking out! I somehow neglected to add that to my appshopper wish list.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

How about Notion? Is that worth a drat?

Also, has anyone experienced any problems with any of the midi adapters combined with a lightning to 30 pin adapter?

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2012

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Read some good news regarding the lightning to 30 pin adapter and ios midi adapters:

Midi Designer tested a few and they all passed.
http://mididesigner.com/hardware-connections-and-new-lightning-connector/

IK Multimedia states that their midi adapter will work with the lightning to 30 pin.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?start=30&ipp=10&item_id=1595

And there are some users on the gearslutz forums claiming success with the lightning to usb adapter, amongst other things.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/782211-working-new-ipad-lightning-connector.html

I think I'll buy one and try it out in the next couple of weeks or sooner. I'd hate to see my irig midi be rendered useless. I am worried about latency though, but I'll report back to everyone when I'm finished testing.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^The closest I could find was Sound Epic, which has unfortunately been removed from the app store.

I bought the lightning to 30 pin adapter (cable version) and everything works great. No noticeable latency whatsoever.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

It does what it says on the tin. It can be hard to work with, but in all fairness, I'm not sure what could be done differently. It does get lots of updates.

Thanks for the input. More specifically I was wondering how it compares to Symphony Pro in terms of usability and stability. However, it looks like Symphony Pro is having a lot of stability issues and a lot of users are angry that it hasn't been updated since April so it's usability is a moot point until it's fixed. I'm going to go with Notion.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^Seconding this. It has pretty much taken over as my go to forum for ios music app news.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Epileper posted:

to anyone with Cubasis: is it worth the $50 even if you have beatmaker 2? beatmaker 2 seems to be able to do most of what cubasis can do, but cubasis looks like it has a much smoother interface.

I'm sort of in the same boat so I'm interested in this as well. I've been lurking on the Cubasis forums following the development. Looking forward to seeing what they add in the next update as the last one was just maintenance.

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the best app for making high quality organic sounding backing tracks to use for guitar improv practice?

There's ThumbJam, which has some good organic instrument sounds that you can record and do multiple loops at the same time. There's also notation playback/ editors like Notion or Symphonix Evolution where you can methodically enter in a melody or chords and play over that. Then of course there are the multi-tracker/ DAW apps (Beatmaker 2, Cubasis, Auria, etc) that will do what you want and then some. There are a lot of options out there, It just depends on how simple or complex of a process you want to work with.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 13, 2013

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Arturia's iMini just got updated with Audiobus support and midi in. It's also half off at $9.99.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Midi in general is a complete loving disaster on iOS at the moment. Especially anything to do with midi sync across devices or apps. The problem is that the midi standard is completely disregarded and every developer has their own way of implementing it. Korg is one of those offenders, and these guys in particular should know better.

So what we have now is app A won't work well with app B, but it's fine on app C and somewhat works with app D. It's frustrating and sends many people on a fool's errand of troubleshooting something that came broken out of the box. Hopefully iOS 7 will squash all this nonsense.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Maybe Audioshare? Basically it is the swiss army knife of music apps.

Never mind it won't do playlists unless you import from itunes and it won't auto play consecutive tracks.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 29, 2013

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^One of the developers of Audiobus posted on the Audiobus forums that he won't update until 7.1 and advised everyone else not to as well. Unfortunately he couldn't get into any specifics because the NDA hasn't been lifted yet.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Looks like that's right up my alley. Has it been updated with the latest Audiobus SDK?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

lord funk posted:

Yes. Those guys worked hard to make it compatible with iOS 7.

Also coinciding with the amazing hand-shrink-o-size potion! Or the incredible screen big-larger! ;)

Yes it's just $7.99!!! I hope a lot of people get a kick out of it. I know it's a pretty heady programming app (which the normal price reflects) but I wanted more users to get a chance to use it. :)

Excellent! Thanks. I bought it last night and :aaaaa: Seems like a really fun synth to use going by the short time I messed with it. I'll be reading up on the manual this weekend.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Congrats to lord funk for having the #1 music app in the app store at the moment :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Nope, no stems just a stereo track.

• Locked thread