Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

quote:

Damon Albarn has told NME that he has been recording a new Gorillaz album on his iPad.

Speaking in this week's issue (cover date November 13), on UK newsstands now and available digitally worldwide, Albarn said he has been working on a follow-up to 'Plastic Beach' while on tour with the band.

"I've made it on an iPad – I hope I'll be making the first record on an iPad," he said. "I fell in love with my iPad as soon as I got it, so I've made a completely different kind of record."
http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/53816

If this is actually true I'd be interested to know what program he used, and if any of the original iPad recordings are going to be on the official release, or if he was just using it to get rough ideas down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I, uh, went a little nuts

Now get Garageband and Audiobus.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Any recommendations for a portable keyboard for the iPad? I was considering the Korg Nanokeys2, but the Keith McMillen QuNexus has some cool extra features, and would work with synth gear as well.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Having had them both, the extra cost is worth it to go for the QuNexus, if for no other reason than build quality. Plus it does CV which is an added bonus. I'd say the nanokeys are almost overpriced for their quality. They're fine for what they are, but mine didn't last long in a backpack.

Edit: they both play and feel pretty different, so I recommend getting your hands on a QuNexus before buying to make sure it's right for you. It takes some adjustment to get used to playing on one. The nano's keys are basically just buttons, can't remember if they have any velocity capability.

Thanks for the info, I'll find a place to try out the QuNexus before buying one.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I got a QuNexus and am overall really pleased with it, though I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface on using its capabilities. It's pretty dang compact and very durable, have no problem carrying it in a small satchel with a tablet. Yesterday I was on a plane for a few hours and was messing around with some melodies by just plugging it into my phone and listening through earphones.

I got one a few months ago as well, and I really like it. Works great with either ipad or my laptop, and I like the feel of the pads. Playing iOS synths is a LOT more fun with a real, velocity sensitive interface to use.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I use Gadget with a Keith McMillen QuNexus through the camera connection adapter and it works perfectly. Having velocity sensitive keys makes the synths a lot more fun, and expressive to use.
If Gadget also just recorded from a mic input, it would be perfect for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Schindler's Fist posted:

A new update to Korg Gadget dropped. New, better sounding drum machine, free. New gadget that allows audio tracks and audio file import: free. The Korg are kind and good.

I was really surprised that the audio tracks gadget was free. It makes the app so much more powerful now.
The guitar amp sims kind of suck though.

• Locked thread