Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FLX posted:

Numark iDJ for iPad is on sale at the moment for $1.99. I haven't tried it, but it looks very good for the price. You can import songs directly from the iPod app and there's a beat-matching algorithm too.
Looks like that was a mistake, now it's 4.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RobattoJesus posted:

I love how the last three apps linked all have quotes from Jordan Rudess. He's become some kind of unofficial iOS music ambassador.
I'm Commander Rudess, and this is my favorite app on the Citadel!

[/Mass Effect 2 Joke]

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone know what the cheapest MIDI-to-USB cables are that officially work with the iPad? When I bought a keyboard years ago I picked up an M-AUDIO UNO 1x1 which is supposed to work (the latest model) but whoops, I have the first model which apparently doesn't work with the iPad. Great.
See link. I have the clear blue one on the bottom, while the new one is the top clear blue.
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=dafbe23c0f3791fd6e457ee947e4daba

Apart from re-buying the same cable again for 40 bucks, is there a much cheaper option for me?

FLX, in your demo video, you seemed to have a cheap black midi/usb cable that works. Was that cheap and where did you get it?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 4, 2011

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dammit, if Garageband requires iOS 4.3 I will be so pissed. I just finally got used to having my iPad jailbroken on 4.2.1 and it will be really painful deciding between all my jailbroken stuff and Garageband... oh, and a proper working orientation switch again.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

excitebike posted:

It doesn't, and while I respect your decision to jailbreak for whatever reason you have, please don't steal our software. :(
I don't have a single pirated app on my jailbroken devices and I've spent definitely over a thousand dollars on apps over the years, so you don't have to worry about that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Garageband is so drat cool. It pretty much takes all the great ideas from all the other iOS music apps and puts them together in a single package. The fact that it's only 4.99 is incredible when most music apps are 10-20 bucks. I love the fact that you can pick a scale and keep all the instruments in key with each other like in ThumbJam. I'm clueless when it comes to drum tracks, so Smart Drums are a godsend. I've only played around for 15 minutes, but I can see creating a song in like, 3 minutes, no problem.

Really awesome synth selection and modifying knobs and settings. Love it, love it, love it!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

illBilliam posted:

Thanks for the heads up. And on that note, some good news: The devs on the Intua forums posted on the 9th that they submitted the latest Beatmaker 2 update to the app store for review. The new version includes native ipad graphics support as well as supposedly fixing the memory issues. I'm going to wait for the update before I buy it as it should be released any day now.

Hokusai...I really want to like this, but as it stands now the controls don't feel up to par for an audio editing app. I'll give it a few more updates before I officially make up my mind about it.
Beatmaker 2 just updated with the iPad support.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xzzy posted:

Nanostudio and Beatmaker 2 are functionally equivalent, but I like Nanostudio better. It feels more polished.
I just really wish they would get that iPad-native support update out soon. It's annoying seeing it in 2x mode...

Also, I really wish there were better instruments for Nanostudio. I love the interface and its really simple loop recording system for laying down tracks, but I end up just using the whistling instrument a lot because most of the instruments are too "out there."

There are other apps that have incredible synths and custom sounds, and it's a shame Nanostudio has such a limited selection (I guess unless you custom make all the instruments yourself).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FLX posted:

They released an update making BM2 universal a week or so ago :)
I was hoping for Nanostudio's universal update.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Skritch posted:

xzzy sort of mentioned this, but check out the sound banks someone made from the Kurzweil K2500, Kawai K4, and Korg Triton (http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/1461). They turn NanoStudio into a mini ROMpler. Not sure that's what you're after, but there's a wide variety of instruments, drum kits and pads in those banks.
Wow, thanks a lot for those, I didn't realize you could load sound banks like that. I'm really just a newbie at Nanostudio.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

COME ON. WHAT THE HELL. SRSLY U GUISE.

Hopefully the app is a million times better than the promo video.

Here's a screenshot:

Apparently being released at $0.99, going up to a regular price of $29.99 eventually...?
Woah, $.99?

Now they got my attention. Here I was thinking "launch price" meant 9.99 or 14.99 until it goes to $19.99.

For $.99 it'd be silly not to get it coming from Moog.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

Well, screenshots of the NanoStudio iPad update were posted today:

[Screenshots]
I WANT IT NOW.
Pleaseeeee, Nanostudio is the easiest way I've found to make music for a non-musician because of the flexible loop recording nature of the app.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

Music Studio doesn't seem like a bad app, it's just that NanoStudio has a great workflow and feature set, while looking nicer than Music Studio.

There's also Meteor, Multitrack DAW and StudioTrack to look at.
I think Music Studio became FruityLoops anyway (but left the original app), which makes things a little confusing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

lord funk posted:

TC-11 has been updated to version 1.1!

The biggest addition is built-in audio recording, up to ten (10:00) minutes! Plus I put in AudioCopy, so you can paste the recording in another app.

There are tons of minor improvements, but the biggest comes from speeding up interface switching, and iPad 1 horrors that I managed to kill (no more mic feedback!).

I bumped my thread about it, but if you'd rather I can just post updates in here instead. :)
That looks like a nice app, but there's just no way I could justify spending 30 bucks on it. That would be the most expensive music app I ever bought.

10 bucks and it's more in line with the other cool music apps that I'd gladly plunk down the cash for.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This thread would probably be one of the last places to post something off-the-wall like this, but if you haven't been following the "Tails Gets Trolled" thread in GBS, you would miss this song I made entirely in Garageband on my iPad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePSdwjOz5c
I really love the smart guitars and voice filters and even though I didn't feature them in the song, the new strings that were added in the last update are amazing. The way that Garageband lets you cue up a spot in the song and even counts you in for retakes of performances is really easy and helps a lot when you're making the song piece by piece.

Well, enjoy (or not)!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

h_double posted:

Rob Fielding, the author of Mugician and main programmer of Geo, just released a new microtonal wavetable synth called Cantor.

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/5/26/cantor-released.html

:2bux: on the app store or here's a promo code:

KP6N44HY6LAT
The video looked cool and I ended up buying it and now I'm completely lost. I think I just wasted 2 bucks. Geo is a lot more user-friendly than this app.

EDIT: Ah, this seems to be more of a midi control app instead of a synth itself. Welp, I'm dumb. At least take this as a warning if you think it's going to be an app like Geo synthesizer or Mugician.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 28, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tomahawk posted:

I didn't mean any disrespect, I'm just honestly curious because it doesn't seem like it's too viable at the moment as someone who can't get his hands on some of these apps. I'm heavily considering purchasing an iPad with an emphasis on creating music but I don't know if I'm sold yet.
Alright, I'll preface this by saying that the following is pretty dumb and goofy, I'm not really a musician, and these songs are :nws: but here's a link to my tindeck account of songs I made entirely with Garageband on iPad for the Tails Gets Trolled thread.

http://tindeck.com/users/JFlight (skip the speech mp3 at the top, that's unrelated)

(sample song here) AGAIN, :nws:

No external mics, no other synths or apps, no computer editing (aside from mp3 compression), but you can kinda get an idea of the instrument quality and what you can make with just Garageband of all apps.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 31, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

While it's still half-off for $25, anyone have any opinion on Auria?
http://appshopper.com/music/auria

I'm not sure how long the sale will last, so the question might be moot.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xzzy posted:

Looks like Apple is gearing up to give away GarageBand, and make money from it off IAP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/21/apple_announce_free_garage_band_sale/

Pay 99 cents for reverb! :downs:

It's gonna have to be really goddamn good to pry me away from nanostudio.
Hopefully this won't remove functionality that's already in the current version. I'm okay with charging for new instruments and effects, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Declan MacManus posted:

This is almost exactly what I've been looking for although I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff they were demoing is based off of IAP
Yeah, my eyes were darting across the description looking for "all included for 1 price" or "try before you buy each gadget" or something like that.

I'm keeping hope alive that it's all included for less than 20 bucks. Not likely, though.

EDIT: vvvvvvvv Ah, I hadn't seen another article where it named the price: $28.99 until Feb. 23rd.

Yup, I'm sure it comes with all 15 gadgets at that price. Not terrible. Kinda wish it was $20 though.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sizone posted:

ios 8 killed bebot.
There was an update today though.

• Locked thread