Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Sneakers posted:

Two questions -

I usually have a pretty heavy flow from having an IUD, as in soaking a pad every hour or two on my heaviest days. Will the up be able to hold all of this?

I also have a tipped uterus. Would this affect the cup at all?

If you have a heavy flow you'll need to wear a pad still for backup, I always do, but a cup will still work fine and beyond anything you'll save a fortune on supplies and less leaks during sleep. It holds tons more than a pad.
Plus you can feel when it's about to get full (feels like bubbles...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Sneakers posted:

Two questions -

I usually have a pretty heavy flow from having an IUD, as in soaking a pad every hour or two on my heaviest days. Will the up be able to hold all of this?

Some people with super heavy flow have found a cup helps. They may have to empty their cup every 2-4 hours instead of every 12, but that's still better than overflowing a supermax pad once an hour. On the plus side you rarely get surprised by an overflowing cup, as Scudworth mentioned you can feel when they are getting full.

A tipped uterus can be a problem, but it's one of those things where there is no way to predict whether it will be a problem for you. I've posted these before,

The second picture shows where a low cervix can make the cup useless as blood just flows down the outside.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Angela Christine posted:

Some people with super heavy flow have found a cup helps. They may have to empty their cup every 2-4 hours instead of every 12, but that's still better than overflowing a supermax pad once an hour. On the plus side you rarely get surprised by an overflowing cup, as Scudworth mentioned you can feel when they are getting full.

A tipped uterus can be a problem, but it's one of those things where there is no way to predict whether it will be a problem for you. I've posted these before,

The second picture shows where a low cervix can make the cup useless as blood just flows down the outside.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna go for it. This maxi pad poo poo has got to stop.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Two questions -

No IUD for me but I do generally have a heavy flow and I have a tipped uterus. A cup works great for me - I can go longer between changes than I used to be able to with tampons and getting a good seal is pretty easy after some practice. After a big, you know what it feels like on insertion if it's right. When it doesn't feel a certain way going in, I just pull it out and start over.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Bad Sneakers posted:

I have a similar flow, but not for any good reason other than really funky perimenopausal hormones. On my heaviest days (which can last two, sometimes three weeks for me :gonk:) my cup gets filled every 30 minutes (to an hour if I'm lucky). It gets pretty annoying to have to deal with the cup so often (I envy the girls who can actually go the 8 to 12 hours before they gotta dump it), so, for me, pads are still necessarily part of the equation which really sucks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thanks for posting this. I'd never looked into other fold techniques beyond text descriptions since the c fold worked well enough and most of them are way different from how I was picturing them in my head. Gonna try out a few and see if they work better than what I've been doing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'd never looked into other fold techniques beyond text descriptions since the c fold worked well enough and most of them are way different from how I was picturing them in my head. Gonna try out a few and see if they work better than what I've been doing.

Punchdown is the true winner.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

Punchdown is the true winner.

I agree, it's the only one that I've been able to do successfully.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm a fan of the 7 fold.

The punchdown was my favorite when I first started using a cup but I stopped using it for some reason, I can't remember why. I think it made my divacup too difficult to open fully sometimes?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I've gotten the hang of it and I don't think I'm going back.
If c folding is working for me should I even bother trying the other folds?

Can I do squats/deadlifts without causing it to shift?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

sheri posted:

Probably. Unless your lifting enough where making GBS threads yourself would be a problem.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

sheri posted:

I've gotten the hang of it and I don't think I'm going back.
If c folding is working for me should I even bother trying the other folds?

I sometimes do a couple of squats to shimmy it into place, you'll be fine!

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Guys... GUYS! I've been wearing the Diva for the past few days and it. is. AWESOME!!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I got my EvaCup in Rose color and got to use it for this go-round. It was a bit longer than I expected, but is pretty solid and nice on a budget if anyone in the US wants a longer cup (and a higher capacity). I do have super heavy periods for the first few days (I went through a super heavy practically a cork tampon inside of an hour or two) so your experience may vary.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Half the time I insert it great and the other half I screw it up somehow. I have no idea what I'm doing different. I've been using c fold but maybe there is an easier option? I have no idea!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Take a swing at some other folds. C fold can be a toughie.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Make sure it's open all the way after you put it inside you. Usually running your finger around the cup a few times should do it. With softer cups this can sometimes be a bit trickier.

I like the 7 fold myself. Punchdown fold goes in great but it sometimes hard to open all the way once it's in there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

sheri posted:

Half the time I insert it great and the other half I screw it up somehow. I have no idea what I'm doing different. I've been using c fold but maybe there is an easier option? I have no idea!

What kind of screwing up are you talking? Not being able to get it fully open? Not being able to get it in? Thinking it's fully open but then it leaks anyway?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Sometimes it slips down a bit to where it is uncomfortable. A couple times it has slightly leaked...I'm not sure if this is because it isn't open all the way or not because I have a hard time figuring that out at this point :)
Sometimes it works great and I forget about it for the better half of a day!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Neither the Diva nor the Sckoon have been working for me since I had my baby 3 years ago. This past cycle I tried the Lily Cup instead.

Trip report: Very soft and comfortable, I feel like the shape of the cup (especially the rim) works really well for me (I suspect my uterus tipped even further after birth, and I feel like the slanty rim helps get fluid into the cup instead of sliding off the outside) and I went almost the whole 7 days with almost no leakage.

Cons:
- That stem is ridiculous. Super thick and long. But you can cut pretty much the whole thing off without making a hole in the cup.
- That pretty pale pink silicone seems like it will stain much easier than other cups.
- I don't know if it was just a really heavy period or if the cup has a far smaller capacity, but it was very obvious when it was getting full, and at that point it did leak. No prob as long as I empty it on a regular schedule.
- So soft, it's hard to fold & insert. Punchdown has never worked for me with any other cup but it's all I can really do with the Lily.

Overall, I recommend it. Welp that's my story :tipshat:

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
Has anyone here tried the FemmyCycle cup yet? It's a different shape than most other cups and doesn't have those air holes. I sometimes have trouble getting the medium Meluna to pop open and the Femmy looks more difficult to use since it doesn't have air holes.

Link

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I'm super-curious about the FemmyCycle but that replace-every-year thing is a deal-breaker on top of my reluctance to spend money on another cup that I'm uncertain will work well with my bod. It sure does look cool though.

\/\/ Ahh I see.

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 30, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Plastic Pal posted:

I'm super-curious about the FemmyCycle but that replace-every-year thing is a deal-breaker on top of my reluctance to spend money on another cup that I'm uncertain will work well with my bod. It sure does look cool though.

When cups are made of medical grade silicone (which Femmy is) you don't have to replace them every year. You can use them until they break down, if ever.

The one year thing is some legal stuff for FDA approval, Diva Cup famously went back and forth on the subject on their site which now reads " Since The DivaCup is a personal hygienic product, a general guideline is to replace it once a year, but ultimately, it is up to the consumer to decide when it is necessary to replace the cup."
Many cup brands say to replace after a year, it's just legal crap.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yeah I've had my Divacup for 8 years and it's still perfectly fine.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well my Nexplanon has decided to go haywire again and I've been bleeding for a month straight so hooray menstrual cups ALL THE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME. I'm feeling like my DivaCup Size 1 doesn't fit that well so I'm wondering if I should pick up something else. Could someone help me troubleshoot it? I feel like it moves around more than I'd like and it'll drop too low to where it's sticking out a bit. Just the bottom though, the top seems to stick fine and I don't really have problems with leaks. So I'm not sure if it's too wide or narrow or long or short or what. Do I just need a more squat shape maybe?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you feel like it's poking you or trying to stick out all the time, even when you shove it up in there, it may be too long. Diva is one of the longest (if not the longest) cups there is. You can try buying a shorter brand, but before you do that, try turning your Diva inside out and see how that feels. It'll give you more or less the same diameter, but it won't be as long. It won't hurt the cup.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Julet Esqu posted:

If you feel like it's poking you or trying to stick out all the time, even when you shove it up in there, it may be too long. Diva is one of the longest (if not the longest) cups there is. You can try buying a shorter brand, but before you do that, try turning your Diva inside out and see how that feels. It'll give you more or less the same diameter, but it won't be as long. It won't hurt the cup.

I would but I have no idea how I'd get it out! It's hard enough to pull out as it is because it sticks up there really well. I'll look around and see if there are any cups that are similar in width but shorter though. Thanks!

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything about this; has anyone any experience from using the cup whilst on a plane? I have a flight tomorrow (just a short one, ~2-3 hours) and I'm a bit nervous that air pressure will cause either discomfort or leaking. After all, the change in pressure makes plastic bottles swell up, but can it affect something inside the body?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Ojo posted:

I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything about this; has anyone any experience from using the cup whilst on a plane? I have a flight tomorrow (just a short one, ~2-3 hours) and I'm a bit nervous that air pressure will cause either discomfort or leaking. After all, the change in pressure makes plastic bottles swell up, but can it affect something inside the body?

I have flown with a cup and it was fine. The change in pressure isn't drastic enough to cause any noticeable effects as your body is much squishier and better able to deal with pressure changes than a sealed plastic bottle.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I can also attest to having no issues on flights.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I flew transatlantic and it was fine, plus I didn't have to worry about anything for eight hours with only a tiny toilet around.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

I flew transatlantic and it was fine, plus I didn't have to worry about anything for eight hours with only a tiny toilet around.

THIS. this right here is one of the reasons cups are so drat rad; it's basically like forgetting you've got a period sometimes.

also for working out. I've been doing heavier squats than usual and haven't had any problems whatsoever with the cup shifting or whatever. thanks, MeLuna Sportcup!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I flew from Tokyo to Atlanta, nonstop, without moving from a middle seat, with a cup in.

It was fine.

Also, you can always just flip any cup inside out that has a stem (except maybe that lily cup).

Menstrual cups are awesome.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

the escape goat posted:

THIS. this right here is one of the reasons cups are so drat rad; it's basically like forgetting you've got a period sometimes.

also for working out. I've been doing heavier squats than usual and haven't had any problems whatsoever with the cup shifting or whatever. thanks, MeLuna Sportcup!

Yeah, I flew out on Sunday and had no issues, then spent all day walking around yesterday and almost forgot I had my period. Travelling is stressful enough, so my cup taking away some of that extra period stress is amazing.

I used to be really paranoid about doing squats with the cup in, but as you say, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I just wish I was brave enough to recommend it to everyone I know irl!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have a friend who's having an issue I've never had, so asking here for her in case someone else has solutions: she's using a divacup and she tried it for the first time last night, then had it in overnight and tried to take it out in the morning. She didn't have any trouble getting it in but when she tried to get it out it had migrated up really high and she couldn't get a good grip on the bottom of it to break the seal. She said she could get a finger up beside it enough to eventually basically push it against one of the walls of her vagina and drag it down that way until it was down far enough that she could grip the bottom to take it out normally, but she didn't have room to get a finger and thumb up there enough to grab it.

I've suggested trying to use two fingers to grip it but she's skeptical that that would work and also reluctant to try it again until she has some definite leads on solutions. I know a bunch of people have similar problems so if anyone here has, how do you manage it?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Organza Quiz posted:

I have a friend who's having an issue I've never had, so asking here for her in case someone else has solutions: she's using a divacup and she tried it for the first time last night, then had it in overnight and tried to take it out in the morning. She didn't have any trouble getting it in but when she tried to get it out it had migrated up really high and she couldn't get a good grip on the bottom of it to break the seal. She said she could get a finger up beside it enough to eventually basically push it against one of the walls of her vagina and drag it down that way until it was down far enough that she could grip the bottom to take it out normally, but she didn't have room to get a finger and thumb up there enough to grab it.

I've suggested trying to use two fingers to grip it but she's skeptical that that would work and also reluctant to try it again until she has some definite leads on solutions. I know a bunch of people have similar problems so if anyone here has, how do you manage it?

I basically had the same problem when I first started using the Diva Cup, and I used two fingers to drag it down/attempt to break a seal. sometimes I just drag it down far enough so that I can use finger/thumb to pull it out before it sucks back up.

Kind of a pain, and takes some practise. Much easier when it's weighed down by a lot of blood.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Organza Quiz posted:

Squat, relax (keep the jaw slack-- it's harder to tense up that way) & just get on up in there. The vagina will definitely accommodate a couple of fingers plus a thumb, and if it's a tight fit/gets sore she'll probably be OK in a few cycles. The more she does it, the more she will figure out her own tricks for gripping a slippery object in cramped conditions using only her fingertips.

She may also be able to walk it down a little with the stem, but that's usually more trouble (for me) than grabbing it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

another thing that helps is bearing down like you've gotta pee; do that enough and the cup will wiggle down the vaginal canal.

gotta love a meluna with ring handle!

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
This thread has gotten me to take the plunge and buy a meluna sport (in particular the possibility of less cramping and fewer days bleeding omg).

It got here yesterday and although I'm 2 weeks from Shark Week I tried out inserting and removing a couple times. It wasn't hard to get in there, but when I ran a finger around the rim to check the seal, the rim was okay but the cup felt kind of bent in half horizontally. Is it not up there high enough, or is the body of it supposed to be rather squished since vadges don't just hang all open, or is the meluna sport maybe too soft for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
They just sit like that sometimes.
Also dry-run tests won't tell you much, everything is different during your period.

• Locked thread