Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
DIVA CUP LOVER HERE!

I was pretty vocal in the last cup thread, so excuse me if any of you have heard all this before.

I have the hugest, messiest, clottiest, longest periods known to man. I can fill a super plus tampon AND an overnight pad (at the same time) in an hour on my heaviest days. I leak everywhere, and am generally just disgusted with myself when my periods come along.

The diva cup changed my freaking life. I haven't ever leaked a drop with it. At first it didn't work well for me because my cervix is extremely low, and the cup was forming its seal above my cervix. I did some research though, and found that flipping the cup inside out solves all my problems. It makes the cup shorter and stouter, and makes it seal exactly where my body needs it to seal.

I have a life now. I used to be so jealous of people that had normal periods and whose lives didn't change completely the second they started bleeding. Now I am one of those carefree "Oh I'm on my period? I hardly noticed!" people. It is loving fantastic.

You do have to be comfortable with your lady bits. My mom refuses to try one because good girls don't insert their entire hands into their vaginas. My 17 year old daughter is too disgusted to try one also, even though her periods are as bad as mine. I keep suggesting it to her, though. She's softening. A little.

I now have 2 diva cups. I keep one at home and one in my car. I am so happy with how much garbage I am saving from going to a landfill. I try to convert every woman I know. It isn't going well. Most people are disgusted by the thought of it in my age group and older. I wish someone would have told me about these things when I was much younger. I am not joking in the least when I say this thing has changed my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

psychicattack posted:

Ok I have another question. I have a hosed up cervix or something; it's all tilted at a weird angle. Sometimes I use the sponge and I practically have to get bbq tongs to get it out.

What is the likelihood I'll never see this cup again if I try it. My vagina sounds so menacing and cavernous now

I'd say that is not likely to happen!

It is more difficult to remove if it is hardly full. But to be disgustingly honest, in the mornings (when my cup is generally at its fullest), I can actually push it out with just muscle movement as I'm peeing. I don't do it on purpose. I always intend to get it out and then pee, but I have to pee so bad in the morning and then I get all flustered trying to hold back peeing and then deciding to pee anyway and then telling myself no no, get it out first so you don't get pee on your hand, that by the time I'm done with all that struggle, I have to hurry up and catch it before it's floating in the toilet.

As long as you are flexible enough to get a thumb and forefinger up there comfortably, you will have no problems removing it. If it is too far to reach, just bearing down makes it accessible.

edit: as for the virgin thing- it isn't any different to your body than using a tampon. There are 2 sizes available in the Diva Cup. Size one is slightly smaller around and is for women under 35 that have never given vaginal birth. after 35, whether you've given birth or not, you use size 2. I know there is a LiveJournal group that really has their stuff together on all the different cups and have pics and measurements of each brand. If size is *really* an issue, I'd look around there for the smallest one.

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 14, 2010

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

It really does look like it'll be messy, but I swear it isn't.

I tend to use my thumb and middle finger and grasp it from both sides, with my palm straddling across where the cup will come out. As soon as it comes out, a flick of the wrist empties it right in the toilet. The seal is so good that whatever fingers you shove up there for removal don't even get any blood on them at all. You have to indent the cup a little when you pull it out in order to break the seal, so it doesn't like pop out or anything. It's more of a gradual movement. No spilling or popping or anything.

The only time I make messes is when I leave it in a little too long and it gets filled to the brim. Then it can make a little mess when you try to break the seal. And I also am morbidly curious and usually inspect the contents before I dump it and I have knocked it against my inner thigh on the way back down to dump it and spilled it. But I'm gross. And clumsy.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Jenova Project posted:

How many of you are witchesWiccans?

I'm not Wiccan. I'm an atheist.

My husband, who is easily squicked out, is fine with my cup using ways. He likes that I'm happier during that time of month, that we're saving money, that the bathroom garbage can isn't a horror-fest, etc. It doesn't gross him out at all. Like someone else said, it's usually the women who are freaking out about it. I don't get it.

As for activities- you will be fine belly dancing, jaded_daisy. I swim with mine all the time, and I'm not a polite lap swimmer. I do flips and handstands and crazy dives and all sorts of stuff that would make it sploosh if it was gonna sploosh. And the sensation of it coming out onto a pad will completely be gone. You feel absolutely nothing going on- you almost forget it's your period!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Chickenfat posted:

Sorry If this has been covered before, must've missed it.

How easy are these to insert if you're a fatty?

I've always had really heavy periods,even as a skinny teen, but I gained a ton of weight after I stopped breeding/nursing/started going through the change (pre-menopausal at 40-YAY!). I'm finally losing some of it but lil'-old gunty sometimes gets in the way of stuff. I'm fine inserting tampons with stiff applicators but am concerned about the squishy, flexible nature of these cups.

Should I hold off until I lose more weight?

I'm a fatty. And I have horribly disgusting, messy periods. I was sort of concerned about that as well before deciding to purchase one. I can happily report that I have no problems whatsoever getting it in and out. I am a stay at home mom, though. I probably spread my legs a lot farther than would be comfortable in a public bathroom stall at work or school.

Also- I'm 37. I absolutely cannot remove it for dumping on my lightest days (when it isn't very full and gravity isn't coming into play with the weight of the cup) first thing in the morning. I'm getting older and my back is a mess in the mornings when I first get up and I just can't contort myself properly until I've been up and moving around for an hour.

I cannot say enough good things about menstrual cups. I wish someone would have told me about them when I was in my teens. So much of my life has been miserable because of my stupid period and this cup has made even my most terrifyingly super flow days just a day like any other day. My diva cup has made my period an absolute non-issue. It's amazing.

For those of you just trying one out- check out the YouTube videos on folding. It will likely take you a few different techniques until you find the one that's right for you. Also, if you don't like how it feels, try turning it inside out. Sounds weird, but it made all the problems I had on my first couple tries disappear.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Chickenfat posted:

ThreeFish, Thanks so much for your reply

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Threefish just sold me on this poo poo with the words "horrible, disgusting, heavy, clotty" and other delightful describing terms.

My first converts! I am so happy!

Seriously, though. I know women are famous for saying, "My periods are AWFUL!" You guys can completely trust that I really mean it when I say this thing changed my life. I couldn't leave my house at all when I was on my period. At night, I'd wear a super super plus tampon, 2 overnight pads strategically stacked in my underwear, AND have a large, fluffy towel carefully wrapped in and out between my legs. None of it ever did any good. All my underwear and sheets were always ruined.

After I found the fold that worked for me, and learned to flip my cup inside out- I have not had one drop of blood anywhere. On my heaviest days I may have to empty my cup every hour or so, but that's perfectly fine with me. This is heaven compared to the mess that was tampons and pads. I could go on and on about how bad things were for me, but I don't have to. The cup made my periods not matter a bit. I am so in love with that!

Don't give up if it isn't working for you right away. Bodies are built so differently and you just have to find what works for you. Spend a day getting used to folding, inserting and removing it before your period starts. It also helps to know where your cervix is. Mine is super low, which is why I have to flip the cup inside out to make it shorter. I already knew my cervix was low because on super light days, only the bottom half of my tampons would absorb anything. The entire top half would be pristine. If you are leaking with the cup, it is very possible the cup sits and seals too high to be able to catch everything coming from your cervix.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I sort of remember having a heck of a time getting it out my first time, too. It does make you panic and the panic makes everything 10 times worse.

I bought an extra to keep in my car, and when I used that new one, removing it became difficult again. My first one is well worn in and has been boiled many times, so I just took the newer one and boiled it for 20 minutes several times over the course of a few days. It now is just as broken in as the old one. It seems when they are new, they are very slippery and hard to work with.

As for boiling it, I went to a thrift store and got an old beaten up pot for 99 cents that's only for my cups.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I just want to hug you, Rabbit Hill. :(

It does sound like the cup would be perfect for you with your type of bleeding.

I'm not sure how removal would go for you, though. Or even insertion, to be honest. Insertion is quite bulky. The cup is folded, increasing its bulk, and my insertion/fold method uses 2 fingers and a thumb.

In response to your actual removal question- it IS possible to push it out using only kegels. I've done it myself. BUT only if the cup is extremely full and heavy. If I'm only spotting, removal is slightly more difficult.

I'm not very familiar with vaginimus and I certainly don't want to offend anyone and/or stick my foot in my mouth. But it seems to me that dilators are sometimes used to help a woman "train" herself out of having the condition? Perhaps just trying with a cup off and on could be used in a similar fashion? Maybe even better, since there's an actual goal at the end that you want- an easier, cheaper method of dealing with menstruation. I hope I didn't come off offensive. I'm bad with words :smith:

Oh. And don't be embarrassed. Really! :glomp:

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I think it's fantastic you want to try it! Good for you!

You know where to come if you have any questions.

PSST. It's here. This thread. :D

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

And there's no harm in trying it inside out. It doesn't hurt the DivaCup at all. You can flip it back tomorrow or next year and it will still be the same.

If you have even the slightest suspicion your cervix might be lower than normal, try to flip it inside out. It's the thing that turned my cup from a $40 hunk of trash to something I would pay $500 for now just because it's made my periods so easy to deal with.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm very interested in trying one, but I'm a little worried about how secure they are. I used Nuvaring for a while and more often than not it would slip out whenever I went to the bathroom. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned how the cup would accidentally slip off in the mornings when she went to pee, but only because it was full. Unlike other activities, the bathroom incorporates the body pushing everything out. So does anyone else have this problem or should it not be an issue?

That was me.

To clarify, I have to *make* it do that with my Kegel muscles and only when it's absolutely filled to the tippy top. I have never had it come slithering out with no movement from my end. I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about.

When it is filled to capacity, it does ride lower than normal. I don't think most people can even get the cup filled to that point in the course of a normal day. But if and when they do, it is possible to push it out with Kegels, if you want. It won't just fall out, though.

My biggest concern was swimming, since me swimming with tampons is about the grossest thing ever. The way I do flips and crazy dives and handstands... if it were possible for this thing to just fall out, it would definitely fall out for me while I'm swimming. Swimming is awesome with this thing :)

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

^^

I'm not sure what that could be, Niemat. As long as your cup isn't leaking, I wouldn't worry about it much. Are you leaking?

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Yay! That's great!

Send her our way if she has any problems, or to http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups. They really have their poo poo together over there. Lots of info.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

For insertion, you just aren't used to it yet. Boil it a few times to get it more pliable- they are pretty stiff straight out of the box. Lube can help if you need it, as mentioned. I'd recommend a water based lube, though.

As for the spots, I've found that's just residual blood that drips down in between removing the cup, cleaning it, and reinserting it. It can also be from pinching the cup when it is very full and some spilling over as you remove it. I just use flushable wipes after reinsertion now and there are no spots. Make sure you are cleaning up your perineum, as well.

I really like to take care of it all in the shower. You can make as much mess as you need to removing it, and if you have a removable hand held shower head, you can really get all the residual blood out of there after you've reinserted. I can't do it on my heavy days, or I'd be taking 10 showers a day. But if you don't have to remove it very often, showers are optimal!

It really makes me happy so many people are trying these out!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Holy poo poo. I know what my nightmares will be tonight!

When we lived in Germany, the Popeye's chicken place on base in Hanau had a HUGE European wasp problem around their dumpster. Which was directly beside the drive thru. That made for some very interesting times. I had forgotten all about that until this very moment! Thanks so much.

While I'm sure the blood is awesome for the plants, and I don't personally see anything wrong with it per se... I definitely have to agree with tse. I mean, have you ever tried to even talk to someone who isn't from the internet about the cup? It doesn't go well at all. I can't even imagine how it would go if I was caught dumping blood on my rose garden. I'm pretty sure I'd be burned at the stake.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I've got the gift of an alarmingly heavy flow. I've only ever used a Diva Cup, so I don't know how the cups compare in regards to flow. Plus mine is inside out, so its capacity is slightly reduced.

For the Diva Cup, here's how my dumping breaks down:

Day one: Dump every 12 hours
Day two: Dump every 3-4 hours
Day three: Dump about every 2 hours
Day four: Dump about every 2-3 hours
Day five: Dump about every 4-6 hours
Day six: Dump once at ~24 hours (because I usually forget it)

When it is completely full, you can feel it. It gets heavy and you notice it. If it isn't full, you can't (and shouldn't) feel it at all if inserted properly. When I first started using it, I was dumping it every time I peed because I had no idea what I was doing. That can get you pretty sore really fast. You will learn when it's time to dump it.

It says you should dump at a minimum every 12 hours, but I routinely leave it in longer than that on my first and last days and nothing bad has happened.

Also, I'm partial to the 7 fold. It seems to open itself after insertion the best for me.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I started to look this up, because I've always heard the urban myth about tampons making you bleed more (something about fiberglass or something), but I came across something called menstrual extraction.

I've never heard about this before! Apparently it's a very hush-hush thing and has a connection to being a grey-area legal way to obtain an abortion while/when abortions are illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_extraction

I think it's interesting. Now that I have a cup I probably wouldn't do it because my period doesn't make me so miserable anymore- but I could see myself trying to get one of these. I know. Gross, right? Oh well. This is the gross thread, anyway. Right?

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I'm in the low cervix club, too. That stabbing of the stem was the most annoyingly painful thing ever. Every time I sat down or walked, it would stab all around my vaginal opening/inner lips. Even trimming the stem on the diva cup didn't help my awkwardly shaped inner workings. That's the reason I turned mine inside out in the first place. I didn't even know turning it inside out was a thing people did at the time. Inside out, it has a nice, blunt, squared off end rather than pokey bits. Plus it fits better and fixed my leaking problems I had my first run.

Every so often I poke (HAHA!) in here just to let any newcomers know that turning a diva cup inside out may help turn a $40 hunk of garbage into the awesomeness that everyone else seems to have!

I love my diva so much. I've had it for about a year now and it really has changed my life. I wish more women I knew were more receptive to the idea. I love converting people!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

You aren't just getting the top rim of the cup to just inside yourself and then letting go, are you? I don't mean that in a, "Durrr, are you stupid?" way.

Have you ever used tampons with an applicator? You know how you insert the applicator pretty far? The plunger is still outside your body but the top of the applicator that holds the tampon is pretty far in. You want to insert your cup fairly far before you let go of your fold.

You may have to spread your legs pretty far or you may even have to spread apart your labia manually to get it to go in properly. It all depends on your own anatomy.

I promise, it took me what felt like FOREVER to get it in and out when I first started. Now I can get it in and out in the blink of an eye. There is a learning curve and there is a lot to get used to. Just keep trying! But I wouldn't drive yourself crazy with it. There's nothing wrong with going back to more conventional means if you feel like you have to!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I like to tell myself that I wish I knew about cups when I was 12 and therefore could have avoided years and years of unnecessary misery, but I know I could not have handled it at 12. I didn't know enough about my own anatomy back then and I'm pretty sure I would have been totally disgusted by the very idea of a cup.

I've mentioned before that I've tried to get my middle child interested in using a cup. She's 18 now and she basically thought my cup using was just another of my weird quirks that also happened to be completely gross. We're close, and talking about our bodies is something we've done together since she was 5 and she found a book I had about female anatomy and our reproductive systems. She brought it to me when she found a picture of a woman giving birth and asked if that's what happened when she came out, too. So from that point on- I've always been very open and honest with her about all things female. Nevertheless, she was totally squicked out by the cup when I encouraged her to use one.

HOWEVER- we just installed a new above ground pool on Monday, and we both happened to start our periods on Monday as well. She's recently sworn off tampons because all they do is leak on her, so she's been stuck in nothing but pads for the past few months. But she REALLY wanted to go swimming. She actually asked if I had an extra cup because she was ready to try one. I was so happy! I do have 2 cups, but no new ones. And I told her mine would be too big for her anyway since I use the size 2 Diva. I also told her there's a learning curve with insertion.

Anyway- she ended up using a tampon to go swimming, but she promised she'd watch the YouTube videos on folds and insertion and I also told her to check out the LiveJournal community since they cover every single question that could ever be asked about cups. So I think I'll order her one for her care package for when she starts school in the fall. I'm thinking glitter, baby!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I would be absolutely mortified if my cup caused me to get a full body cavity search or something. Holy poo poo. I never even considered that to be in the realm of possibility. I think I'd die on the spot if I had to take that fucker out in front of strangers.

Jesus. Thanks, goonettes. I'm never loving flying again!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Really, the size difference (girth-wise)between cups is in millimeters, so you don't really have to stress about it too much. I mean, sure. They are shaped different and there are different sizes and such, but it isn't a life or death decision. Unless you have some of the more difficult problems to deal with- like vaginismus or something similar, just get one you like. There really is no way to measure to find the one that's perfect for you, unfortunately. That's how I ended up with an inside out diva. I couldn't afford anything else and decided to see what happened if I flipped it. It's been my best friend ever since!

I would pick the divacup if you're worried. It's the only one that you can change the total shape and size of it isn't working out for you, just by flipping it inside out.

There's a few of us with insanely heavy flows (I know of me and fluffy bunnies off hand) and we both use inside out divacups (I think she does too). On my heavy days, I have to dump about every 1-2 hours. On medium flow days, I can get away with once every 2-4 hours. Sometimes 3-6 hours. I think my body is beginning to slow down with the blood now. I am almost 38, though. On my beginning and end days, I routinely leave it in for longer than 24 hours.

I'm very clotty also, and it handles it all just fine. The only time I've ever leaked is when it's my heaviest day and I slept through one of my 2 hour dumping alarms. If the cup gets WAY overfull, it will leak. But I'm talking way, WAY overfull.

I'd be pretty confident in choosing the diva for now. You really want it to be able to hold as much as possible if your flow is that heavy, you know?

edit: yep! she uses an inside out, too. I didn't recognize her right above me with a new avatar :D

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 19, 2011

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Foaming Chicken posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do this with most if not all menstrual cups (excluding Keeper).

well, gee! I never knew! Thanks for the info. That's pretty useful to know.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not only that, but the leaking thing is NOTHING like the awful stuff that happens with tampons.

Oh, definitely! I've never had anything even near the messes I had on a daily basis with my strategic pad/tampon stacking/placement. I've not ruined ANY clothes or sheets since I got this thing. I think I've been using a cup for almost 2 years now. With pads/tampons, I was ruining several things a DAY. Not only can I wear white should I so choose, I can actually leave my house while I'm on my period. The inventor of this thing needs a Nobel Peace Prize. AND it needs to be covered in sex ed at school. All those years I suffered without even knowing there was an alternative! :argh:

themindisonfire posted:

Threefish, how do you deal with your heavy flows at night? Isn't it unfeasible to wake up every two hours?

Well, to be totally honest, it doesn't bother me a bit. I was up that often with my pad/tampon/towel stacking anyway, because I'd be lying in a warm puddle of blood. At least with the cup, it's just a matter of dumping it and going back to sleep rather than showering/stripping/bed/considering wrapping myself head to toe in saran wrap/finding new clothes to ruin/ etc. I'm almost happy to hear my two hour alarm and have so little to deal with!

My mom is still completely grossed out with my cup using ways (she's very devout and doesn't like to know that I shamelessly insert my hand into my own vagina) but she's very happy I've found something that finally works well for me and allows me to have a life. She used to take me to the emergency room when I was small because the amount of blood coming out of my body was alarming to all involved. She actually feels really badly for me about my periods and always tried her best not to complain about hers because she knew what I was dealing with and hers didn't even come close. She really wishes she had known about cups when I was much younger so that she could have offered it as an alternative. Well, she SAYS that, but she wouldn't even buy me tampons because they were unladylike to use, so I had to save my lunch money the week before my periods to buy my own. So I sort of doubt she would have gotten me a cup. But hey. It's the thought that counts, right?

I still shamelessly promote cups to anyone who will listen. I just can't be quiet about something that changed my life so much for the better because what if someone needs this as badly as I did and they just didn't know?

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

For all the lady goons who are always asking about IUDs and cups- here's a link I just found:

http://www.familypracticenews.com/news/more-top-news/single-view/menstrual-products-don-8217t-increase-iud-expulsion/443f99a671.html

Says that the chance of expulsion among those that use tampons and cups is the same as those who just use pads. So there is no increased risk. That's gotta be good news, yeah?

Anyone know off hand which cup has the highest capacity? I'm trying to search but alas. My google-fu is weak tonight.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

That's perfect, elbow! Thanks. Exactly what I wanted. I was looking around, and every site seemed to say something different about capacity. I guess some were measuring to the holes and some were measuring to the top and that's why I was confused!

What fold are you using? Personally, I have to use a fold where you bring one corner all the way down to the base of the cup. That way, once the base is in place (which is the shortest distance to... travel?), you can let go of the corner and it pops up at the top! I don't know what my fold is called. I'm not even sure it's a real fold. It's just what I came up with the first day I ever got one and was doing dry runs to try and get it all to work.

My fold is *like* this, but instead of bringing that corner over to the middle of the opposite side, I bring that corner all the way to the bottom. Try something like that?

edit: Uh. Might need the link. Duh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-r387FNs8

edit2: I don't know why I never considered another cup that had a higher capacity than my DivaCup. I guess I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought or something. But the conversation earlier made me think how night it would be to sleep even just a *little* bit longer at night without dumping. So, the Yuuki has the highest capacity to the rim, but the Fleurcup has the highest capacity to the holes. If capacity were your ONLY criteria, which would you choose, and why?

I guess capacity isn't my only criteria though, because I also have the pleasure of being equipped with a super-low cervix. So the Diva is 7cm long and is perfect for me flipped inside out. The Fleur is also 7cm and I'm supposing it can also be flipped. The Yuuki is 7.5cm. Argh. Help! What do I do?! What would you do?

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 20, 2011

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Hm. It can get frustrating!

Have you tried inside out? That makes it shorter, too.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Heh. That's great! Welcome to the fold, wenwillwego!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I went ahead and ordered a large blue fleurcup. I really wanted the yuuki because you get a small and a large for the same price and I was thinking maybe my daughter would be tempted to use it if I put the extra one in her room, but I was really worried about that extra .5cm. My cervix really is low and since the diva and the fleur are the same length, I figured the fleur was a safer bet. I'm on my period now, so the fleur will have plenty of time to get here for my next cycle. It does hold significantly more, so I'll be sure to report back on how long I'll be able to sleep on my bad days! Thanks for the input, slinki!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

evelynevvie posted:

I'm having some problems with my diva cup. I am on the Nuvaring which is wonderful, it limits my hell periods to 3-4 days instead of 2-3 weeks, but they are still heavy and awful. I am just finishing up my period and I had 2 really bad accidents with the cup. One, I woke up and realized it was overflowing, and then yesterday I got to work after having it in for about an hour and a half or so and it was totally full and I made a huge mess when I removed it (it looked like someone slaughtered a small goat in the stall). Is there another cup that maybe has a little higher capacity than the small diva? I get having to take it out more often if my flow is super heavy but yesterday I was on the bus for an hour and couldn't do it. Sometimes I just can't get to the bathroom.

Welcome to the "I love my diva cup, but isn't there something bigger so I don't have to dump it every 20 minutes?" club!

The two with higher capacities than the diva are a newer one called yuuki and the fleurcup. BUT everyone measures capacity different! Some measure to the tippy-top, some measure to the airholes. Yuuki has a higher capacity to the top, but fleur has a higher capacity to the airholes.

You've also got to keep in mind length if you're a gal with a lower cervix. If you *have* to flip your diva inside out to get it to work, you'll want the fleur- which is the same length as the diva. The yuuki is .5cm longer which could be a dealbreaker for a low cervix.

Another thing to mention is that the yuuki gives you both a small and a large cup for the same price. However, us super heavy flow ladies couldn't use a small if we wanted to. Well. We could. But we'd be dumping every 10 minutes. I don't know about you, but I get sore just with dumping every 2 hours :(

So, those are your options if you are looking for a cup with higher capacity.

Personally, I went with the fleurcup. I haven't gotten it yet, though. They took my money on the same day I ordered it through paypal but I haven't even gotten a confirmation shipping email or anything from them yet. Those crazy french people. The yuuki is from Czechoslovakia I think, so it won't be any easier with that one either I'm guessing.

e: Fixed some pretty awful grammar. My brain is in hibernation mode lately!

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 26, 2011

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah. If you're using the stem for insertion, you might need to learn a better method :)

I FINALLY got my Fleurcup in the mail. That took forever! I start in ~3-ish days, so I haven't done a dry run or anything yet but this fucker is huge. I can't wait to sleep longer than 2 hours at night! :woop:

Back to the inside out conversation- you have to realize that not all cervices (I actually had to look up the plural of cervix!) are created equal. A low cervix can render a cup absolutely useless if the seal is forming above the cervix. Since these cups are changing the lives of ladies with messy, leaky periods- those of us with ultra-low cervices just have to alter the cup so it can still work for us. It's the difference between a $30 hunk of silicone trash and the answer to all our dreams!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How in the gently caress did you check out with Fleurcup? I'm having the worst issue with the french paypal stuff.

I honestly don't even remember checking out, so I just went back to their website and fake ordered one. Yup. That sure is French!

I'm thinking I must have translated it. I use Chrome and there's a little translate button at the top every time I try to "fake" check out. I'm not sure if other browsers have that or not.

Look at me being incredibly unhelpful!

And floofy- that uncomfortable vacuum stuff lessens over time. Sometimes I barely squeeze mine at all anymore and just yank. It was pretty bad at first, but now I barely notice it. I'll break the seal if I'm sure it isn't overly full, but if it's full I'd rather not cause overflow messes.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I was excited about the diva pin, too. I used to have it pinned on my knitting bag when I went to my knitting group at Panera Bread. I thought it was a good idea. A lot of hip, young people knit these days, right? I though it would spark some conversation and I'd be able to help some gals out without just randomly bringing up menstruation in regular conversation.

It really didn't go as planned.

Most people thought I was advertising I was a diva or princess-type. I really don't know why. I wear zero makeup and my fingernails are chewed down to tiny nubs. I don't exude "I'm a pretty princess!" at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that- just saying it isn't me and it's really obvious. When I'd tell them what it really meant, there was always shock and dismay that such a thing existed. And utter disgust that someone they knew not only used one, but liked it enough to want to spread the word.

I hope you are surrounded with better people :(

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

It's more likely that it's inserting too *high*. Flip it inside out :) You can thank me later!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Trip report time!

I received my Fleurcup in time to use for this period. Thought I'd post my impressions for anyone with similar menstrual problems. I went from a size 2 Diva (stem removed and flipped inside out)to a size large Fleurcup (stem removed and flipped inside out).

PROS:

The holes are drilled at an angle. This may not sound like an amazing thing but it is! The holes don't get clogged up at all and just running it under water clears the holes out completely. Yay!

It holds a lot more. Honest. I took a leap of faith and didn't set any alarms for while I was sleeping last night. Last night was the night between days 3 and 4 of my period and normally have me dumping quite often. I slept all night and it was barely at capacity this morning. To be fair, I just turned 38 last week and I have been noticing a lot of changes in my periods recently and think I may be starting the wonkiness that is pre pre-menopause. So I do believe my flow is slightly reduced this month anyway, but the Fleur really does hold a lot more.

It's colored, so doesn't start showing the ugly discolorations my Diva does.

CONS:

It is bigger. A flipped Diva has a shotglass shape that is tapered at the bottom. The flipped Fleur bells out at the bottom. This puts even more pressure on your bladder making it difficult to pee AT ALL if you've a very full bladder and a very full cup.

The bottom of the flipped Fleur is rounded rather than having the distinctive shotglass edge the Diva has that made removal easy since there was a ledge to pinch on to. I'm not finding it difficult to remove the Fleur, but it is certainly harder than removing the Diva.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all, I am very happy I bought the Fleurcup. If you are a dumping fool and want to sleep longer than you can with the Diva, I highly recommend it.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

It took something like 3-3 1/2 weeks for mine to get from France to Kentucky. It was a long time.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Yep. If you have a low cervix AND ridiculously heavy periods, you need the large Fleurcup, stat. I loved my Diva Cup as much as a person can love a hunk of silicone, but the extra capacity of the Fleur with no added length is just too amazing for words. I can sleep without setting a dump alarm for every two hours now. It's enough to make me cry tears of sheer joy. Just be forewarned the shipping takes forever.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

When I first got mine, I was an avid and fanatical boiler. Now I only boil about once every 3-4 cycles.

I used to be really embarrassed about this, but when I was talking about these with my cousin and revealed that I quit boiling, she said she wouldn't boil it if she had one either. It's partly laziness and partly not seeing the point.

I mainly just give it a good wash before I put it away after my cycle and another good wash (soap and hot water) before I put it in at the start of my cycle. It's been a good eight months since I stopped boiling on a regular basis and I haven't come to any harm. No extra infections or anything.

I do realize it's probably pretty gross. But I thought I'd share anyway!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Corridor posted:

Okay, well aside from some weird pain issues that are possibly unrelated, I've been using the thing for three days now and it keeps... leaking. It's loving weird. I am 100% certain that it's popping out and creating a seal down there, I make sure of it and everything, but yesterday I checked my underwear and they were SOAKED in blood, I didn't even feel it. I put the cup back in, made extra triply sure it was settled in there okay, and went to bed. When I woke up, blood. Not much, presumably because I was horizontal all night. What the hell is the problem :psyduck:

Did you use tampons before? If so, on your lightest days when your tampon wasn't getting soaked, was only the bottom half of the tampon stained with blood? This is important, because it means your cervix is very low. If your cervix is low, having a cup that forms its seal above your cervix won't do you much good. Sure, it'll catch some blood because things move around when you sit and walk, but it will miss a lot.

Turn your cup inside out. Just cut off the stem and pop it right inside out. It will make your cup shorter and squatter and may be the answer to all your dreams.

This is a really important tip guys. Anyone who had problems with tampons before most likely has a low cervix. It doesn't hurt a thing to try to use your cup inside out. And if it works- bonus!

-Representin' the inside out crew since 2009.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, I understand the confusion now.

I guess the "normal" place for a cervix is way at the top of the vagina:
code:
   | O |
   |   |
   |   |
   |   |
   |   |
But some people, like myself, have something vastly different:
code:
|   |
|   |
|   |
|O  |
|   |
The second example is the type of cervix placement that will cause only the bottom half of a tampon to get stained on light days, and the type which needs careful placement of menstrual cups.

In the first vagina, the cup could be anywhere and do it its job correctly. In the second, if the rim of the cup is anywhere above the cervix, it's just going to cause leakage, broken dreams, and tears.

I hope that helps!

edit: forgot code tags and had some horribly disfigured vaginal passages. Oops.

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Nope! You'd be the first, FB! Besides getting used to the size, how are you liking it?

I almost went with the yukki for my capacity upgrade, but its slightly longer length made me pick the fleur instead. I can definitely tell that it holds more (even though I got it to overflow, too, the other night. :sigh: ). Peeing with a full-ish cup with the diva was weird, but doable. Peeing with a full-ish cup with the fleur is impossible. Pee just *won't* come out. It's the weirdest thing ever!

• Locked thread