Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

theparag0n posted:

RepRap is an ever evolving project, but the good news is you can use your reprap to make the new bits for itself!

Right now, i'd suggest going for the Prusa Mendel, as its the best documented, simplest, and cheapest reprap.

Use a 1.75mm hotend for higher resolution printing, and RAMPS-based electronics (arduino shield + pololu)

Sounds like a plan! I'm guessing that most of the electronics in the 'starter' models can be used in the more advanced models, right?

(and of course the first model can print parts for the next more advanced model, and most or all of the hardware can be re-used)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

The Bananana posted:

This is super cool! I wonder how long it will take before the average consumer will have access to one.

Well, technically, now. Even the Thing-O-Matic, the most expensive of MakerBots offerings, is only about 1.2k or some such. Now that isn't super cheap, but it's not really more than people would pay for a solid desktop computer from a store. Cheaper, smaller models are only a few hundred. Those are most certainly "hobby" model 3D printers, all. They will not be quite as perfectly formed as professional models would produce, but generally they are durable enough for you to sand them or do other work to make them look more professional. And, you know, they don't cost fifty thousand dollars. So that is a bonus.

So if you have anywhere from like...six hundred on up, you can rock out. I can't actually see that coming down a *lot* more, but I can see the quality going up for what you are paying for. Hell, even now you can drop about 1.5k and get a 3D printer and 3D scanner and enough accessories to do all sorts of poo poo with your printer. Print in silicon or peanut butter, hook a pen up to the thing and forge signatures, whatever you want. It's not exact a mature technology, but it's certainly getting there and most of the models you can get are easily upgradeable.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nevvy Z posted:

Is this something that's actually currently doable? Because if so that's loving amazing. I didn't think we were anywhere near self-replication/upgrade on these things.
As I understand it, RepRap has always been conceived as a self-replicating machine. Early models weren't due to the limitations, but they've always tried to hew as close to that philosophy as possible. When I checked a long time ago, the only parts that weren't makeable were metal support rods and some electronics.

I can't wait until the entire thing can print itself, it gets automated, and we can make a von Neumann device! :v:

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

krushgroove posted:

OK I guess before I start trying to save up to buy various bits and pieces I should make sure that the RepRap (the only thing I've priced up so far) isn't going to be outmoded or obsolete in the next couple of years. Can anyone tell me how long has the current version been out, and are the electronics due for an upgrade soon?

And then I guess the next step is learning a 3D program - can these take input from any of the programs out there?

Well that's still cool - I would probably start with ABS doodads and eventually progress to trying lost-wax at some point, just to try it out, so I making metal items could be done that way, so actually printing metal things doesn't need to take place.

The thing is that if you've built it yourself, I'd imagine that future upgrades would be as simple as a new board. FDM is old technology, and what you're doing is playing catch up with $30000 machines right now.

FDM is really the simplest possible RP technique (it is like milling.... but in reverse!)

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Mirconium posted:

Are there any printers that work with stuff that would be highly heat resistant? I was wondering how possible it is to print high quality experimental rocket nozzles and such. I'm guessing clay won't be functional due to air/moisture bubbles, so are there some terminator-grade plastics that are cureable to be heat resistant?

I work with 3d Systems InVision and Projet machines, and I know that for short run testing our parts are pretty good (it'll last a short time in a test setting, and that's enough to gather data.)

Really, though, if you want to go that route (which verges on rapid manufacturing,) I recommend getting into CNC mills.

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010
Has anyone seen the Shaper Cube? It's sort of like a higher end MakerBot with a bigger build platform and more metal parts. It seems like the people who are making them are trying to basically sell a midlevel open source 3D printer. It's intriguing.

http://www.shapercube.com/start/index

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

perianwyr posted:

The thing is that if you've built it yourself, I'd imagine that future upgrades would be as simple as a new board. FDM is old technology, and what you're doing is playing catch up with $30000 machines right now.

FDM is really the simplest possible RP technique (it is like milling.... but in reverse!)

That's cool - I've built all my desktop PCs and radio control cars for decades (yeesh that makes me sound old) so upgrading/rebuilding isn't that daunting, it's building circuit boards that I've never done but I'd like to try. If upgrading to RepRap v2 or whatever involves rebuilding with a few new parts and swapping a logic board or whatever that sounds pretty reasonable for a hobbyist really.

What's the largest size item that can be made on a normal sized RepRap?

edit: just saw this on MAKE magazine, if I read this site regularly I'm in danger of blowing my budget and buying all the parts I need way ahead of schedule!

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/01/beco_blocks_are_home-printable_bloc.html

Some background info and the files for printing are here: http://robodino.org/post/2490094456/beco-blocks-the-3d-printable-snap-together-ball-and-sock

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 7, 2011

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
So, if I'm getting this right, the toughest material you can extrusion print is pure ABS http://www.efunda.com/materials/polymers/properties/polymer_datasheet.cfm?MajorID=ABS&MinorID=1 .

How does a printed part fare in term of tensile strength, rigidness and so on? Do different ways it is filled out matter, speed of printing, etc?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Oh man 3D printing. As a painter/sculptor/3D modeller/concept art person these machines always make me really happy and hopeful for the near future. And looking at the latest machines, they're starting to get GOOD and staying affordable. I need to dig into all of this more in 2011. I'm glad I saw the banner ad!

(I hope I don't start wearing little rectangle glasses and recording myself uncomfortably close to videocameras though :v: I kid! )

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have to admit, I know next to nothing about 3D printing.. but I really want a CandyFab.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It is possible to print items a little larger:

http://www.3d-printers.com.au/2010/12/07/seriously-large-3d-printer-makes-chairs/

:v

I keep thinking I'd like to put together a Reprap but I'd never justify it. Then I keep thinking of things I'd print, I'm sure I've justified it by now...

Question - can the extrusion machine print hollow objects?

macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
If you don't have the space for a 3d printer (or can't afford one), you might want to check around your area area for mit inspired fab labs.

Here's one opening near Baltimore:
http://eventful.com/nottingham_md/events/community-college-baltimore-county-mit-fab-/E0-001-035966072-1

They're going to have a uPrint 3d printer :woop:

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist

beta posted:

So, if I'm getting this right, the toughest material you can extrusion print is pure ABS http://www.efunda.com/materials/polymers/properties/polymer_datasheet.cfm?MajorID=ABS&MinorID=1 .

How does a printed part fare in term of tensile strength, rigidness and so on? Do different ways it is filled out matter, speed of printing, etc?

ABS is not a good material to use as an actual part. The beading in FDM makes for pretty poor structural integrity and ABS isn't too strong itself. There are printers that print in Polycarbonate but they are far out of any individuals price/technology range (unless you are willing to spend like 100k). If you want something you could actually use, I would recommend just prototyping it and then sending it off to Shapeways or somewhere to have it printed in metal or polycarb. Heck you could probably skip the first step and just have it made in metal in one go.

Fill matters. Solid fill means that it will take a hell of a lot longer then a sparser fill, but it will be more structurally sound. There is a fairly complex mathematical underpinning of how exactly to fill out a 3D part to get the best speed/strength, it's not simply a matter of laying down beads.

Twerpling fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 10, 2011

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Thanks for the answer. That information had always evaded me.

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist

beta posted:

Thanks for the answer. That information had always evaded me.

I should add that for certain ornamental parts and non-load bearing things (say enclosures for electronics, maybe like a front panel for something, a custom knob perhaps, ect...), 3D printed ABS should be of sufficient strength. It all depends on the application.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Arduino Documentary is online: http://vimeo.com/18539129

and I guess the originator of the MakerBot is in there around the 12-13 minute mark, as one of the early adopters of Arduino - I didn't realize the MakerBot has a bunch of Arduino controllers in it. I was given an Arduino last year but haven't had time to play around with it yet. I did get a breadboard and LEDs to start learning electronics but I've been busy with other stuff.

Has anyone tried making an open-source CNC router? I figure that would be right up the alley of folks with RepRaps and MakerBots, etc.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
AARGH!! Finally finished assembling my Makerbot and the DC motor for the extruder is DOA. I am so goddamn excited about test driving this thing I can barely stand it. Now it'll be probably another week for them to RMA a new motor to me. I tried looking for a sub motor from an RC car/plane hobby shop, but no luck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Has anyone tried making an open-source CNC router? I figure that would be right up the alley of folks with RepRaps and MakerBots, etc.

Not personally, no, but I know that plans exist and have been successfully built and used.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

The Adama posted:

AARGH!! Finally finished assembling my Makerbot and the DC motor for the extruder is DOA. I am so goddamn excited about test driving this thing I can barely stand it. Now it'll be probably another week for them to RMA a new motor to me. I tried looking for a sub motor from an RC car/plane hobby shop, but no luck.

I feel your pain.. When I was building mine one of the last things I did was to put the belt on at top. But it turned out that one of the pulleys was missing its tiny embedded set screw so the whole thing was unusable until I got a replacement.
:negative:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Midjack posted:

Not personally, no, but I know that plans exist and have been successfully built and used.

Found this one last week, if you donate enough they send you parts, a part-built or a completely built CNC machine with different routers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1783494646/modular-desktop-cnc-machine The basic version fits a Dremel!

I know this isn't the Home-Built CNC Router Thread but it's another piece of home-brew coolness that would be perfect with a 3D printer :)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Found this one last week, if you donate enough they send you parts, a part-built or a completely built CNC machine with different routers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1783494646/modular-desktop-cnc-machine The basic version fits a Dremel!

I know this isn't the Home-Built CNC Router Thread but it's another piece of home-brew coolness that would be perfect with a 3D printer :)

this is awesome. I wonder how well it works with thinner materials... oh if only I had the disposable income

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 12, 2011

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
Most of the stuff I see that comes out of the lower budget printers is very rough in appearance. Is it possible to sand the abs smooth post printing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Daggerpants posted:

Most of the stuff I see that comes out of the lower budget printers is very rough in appearance. Is it possible to sand the abs smooth post printing?

ABS can be filed and sanded yes.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
MakerBot has been getting some press since attending CES this year:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/01/3d_printers_on_cnn.html

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Daggerpants posted:

Giving the (possibly sanded) ABS object a light wash with Acetone gives it a smooth and glossy finish as well. It's not appropriate for everything, but has its uses.

Also this hasn't been mentioned yet from what I can see but in my opinion the Makerbot really needs a heated build platform for anything more than the smallest of builds.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm trying to find parts to buy so I can get the various bits in stages - I can't afford to get everything at once. Strangely, I can't find a site that sells the MakerBot frame (or anything) by itself, just the MakerBot official site that sells the entire machine in various models. The RepRap seems to be the only machine that you can buy in parts to build yourself, is this true or is my Google-Fu just weak?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Guitarchitect posted:

this is awesome. I wonder how well it works with thinner materials... oh if only I had the disposable income

Yeah, would a CNC router be useful for cutting fabric? If I could somehow automate cutting patterns out of fabric, my sewing production time would get cut in half.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

krushgroove posted:

I'm trying to find parts to buy so I can get the various bits in stages - I can't afford to get everything at once. Strangely, I can't find a site that sells the MakerBot frame (or anything) by itself, just the MakerBot official site that sells the entire machine in various models. The RepRap seems to be the only machine that you can buy in parts to build yourself, is this true or is my Google-Fu just weak?

You can actually have Ponoko make you the default MakerBot body or download the design files, customize em, and have them make your version: http://www.ponoko.com/showroom/MakerBot

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

nolen posted:

Yeah, would a CNC router be useful for cutting fabric? If I could somehow automate cutting patterns out of fabric, my sewing production time would get cut in half.
I know for a fact that people use something like this in industry for cutting carbon fiber and fiberglass, but I don't think it's a router. Rotating bits and tools would get bound up in fabric, and there's just no way to keep it all taut enough to avoid it without damaging the material. You'd have to find some custom code that would account for blade direction, and you might need to learn funky tricks to deal with right angles.

So, I'm sure there's something out there, but I don't have the chops to find it on google. The ones I know about are for industrial use of exotic materials where price isn't usually a concern and have expensive programs dedicated to dealing with fabric pattern cutting. v:shobon:v

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

DarkHorse posted:

I know for a fact that people use something like this in industry for cutting carbon fiber and fiberglass, but I don't think it's a router. Rotating bits and tools would get bound up in fabric, and there's just no way to keep it all taut enough to avoid it without damaging the material. You'd have to find some custom code that would account for blade direction, and you might need to learn funky tricks to deal with right angles.

So, I'm sure there's something out there, but I don't have the chops to find it on google. The ones I know about are for industrial use of exotic materials where price isn't usually a concern and have expensive programs dedicated to dealing with fabric pattern cutting. v:shobon:v

Thanks for the reply! I just saw that there is a CNC mill thread going through DIY and repeated my question in there to get any other insight.

Maybe the answer will involve LASERS and I can finally have an excuse to get all Science Fiction with my sewing.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I want to mount a few of these extruder heads to my giant gantry CNC mill. Which ones should I be looking at for a "drop in" type of solution to replace my Hitachi router? I assume I'll need to add another axis to control the extruder? I'm running the Mach3 controller on Windows, am I going to need to dual boot to EMC2?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

nolen posted:

Thanks for the reply! I just saw that there is a CNC mill thread going through DIY and repeated my question in there to get any other insight.

Maybe the answer will involve LASERS and I can finally have an excuse to get all Science Fiction with my sewing.

Its a cross between a jigsaw and an electric carving knife, but it cuts like 16" of cloth at once.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Had fun printing a mustache ring this morning:

(Object source: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5123)

Before I did that though, I had to fix up the plastruder. I printed a crapload of whistles over christmas to hand out to friends and family and when I started changing the filament to make some bottle openers and the idler wheel just stopped.

It wasn't a case of slippage, which has happened to me once before, but instead a piece in the middle layer of the plastruder actually broke off and started blocking the filament pathway! Had to disassemble most of it and use plastic model cement to fix things up.

As far as I can tell the break was caused by stress from attaching the extruder head too tightly to the body. (Which I'd done because the screws were a bit long.) This time I added a nut to both screws so that they can sit in a more shallow position.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Waiting on my Thingomatic is getting infuriating. I keep watching Skeinlayer run simulations of my gcode and thinking "Wow, this will be cool as hell when there is a machine actually doing this!"

I had been wanting a 3D printer for years now, and had been debating building a Cupcake for the last year. This thread, along with a project idea I had at Christmas, convinced me to finally pull the trigger on the new ToM. Now I'm dying from waiting on it to actually ship.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Trying to print out a couple of giant lego men...

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

So far I've managed to break two idler wheels and jam my extruder motor, sheesh.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Videodrome posted:

Waiting on my Thingomatic is getting infuriating. I keep watching Skeinlayer run simulations of my gcode and thinking "Wow, this will be cool as hell when there is a machine actually doing this!"

I had been wanting a 3D printer for years now, and had been debating building a Cupcake for the last year. This thread, along with a project idea I had at Christmas, convinced me to finally pull the trigger on the new ToM. Now I'm dying from waiting on it to actually ship.

Are you building it, or ordering a turnkey model?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Videodrome posted:

Do you know how fast they're shipping? The store page says 7 weeks, my (very recent) order says "processing - waiting to be packed." :confused:

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 23, 2011

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If the page says 7 week lead time then your order isn't likely to change status before then.

I have a MakerBot (cupcake model, no heated build platform) and had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased an UP! instead. The UP! is more suited for "just print it" but the MakerBot's more suited to modding and endless tinkering and such. I am far more interested in the printing and end products than the rest of the process itself, so the mod-ability of the MakerBot's more of a hindrance than anything for me.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

krushgroove posted:

Are you building it, or ordering a turnkey model?

It's the "kit" from the Makerbot store: http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html . Not "turnkey", but at least the boards are pre-assembled.

Cuddlebottom posted:

Do you know how fast they're shipping? The store page says 7 weeks, my (very recent) order says "processing - waiting to be packed." :confused:

My order was on "processing - waiting to be packed" for 2 weeks. Last week it changed to "in production", whatever that means. Originally ordered on Jan. 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
So, does anyone here have the relay board kit? And if so, does it rattle when you shake it? My extruder stopped heating from the relay board, and I'm trying to see if a relay has crapped out.