Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ugh, the prusa experienced its first major clog. Came back to no extrusion and nasty clunking of motor.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the other problems I've been having inconsistently.

I got it to extrude again but I wonder if there's more crap jammed in the nozzle or PTFE

I suppose my process is cold pull -> replace PTFE -> replace nozzle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
All of the above. It just isn't worth the headache of half-measures.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

All of the above. It just isn't worth the headache of half-measures.

well, if i'm replacing the parts, why bother with the cold pull? To clear the heatbreak, I guess?

i already extracted the filament via Unload but i suspect there's burnt crap jammed in there and it's still on its original tube/nozzle so it's had a good run with no real maintenance

Edit: ugh, i thought the prusa came with a spare nozzle. so i'm down until that arrives.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Stocking spare parts for consumables (and nozzles are a consumable) is one of those things that needs to be in the OP whenever a new thread is made for this (if it isn't already).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Stocking spare parts for consumables (and nozzles are a consumable) is one of those things that needs to be in the OP whenever a new thread is made for this (if it isn't already).

Well I thought I had one. :colbert: I got an extra everything else, and two pre-cut PTFEs even.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Deviant posted:

ugh, the prusa experienced its first major clog. Came back to no extrusion and nasty clunking of motor.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the other problems I've been having inconsistently.

I got it to extrude again but I wonder if there's more crap jammed in the nozzle or PTFE

I suppose my process is cold pull -> replace PTFE -> replace nozzle?

Do you have a sock on it? I would get random clogs on my Mk3+ and apparently the filament path narrows in the newest model, and sometimes filament backs up if the temperature dips too much (such as when the fan kicks in). It was recommended to put a sock on the hot end, or replace it with an earlier model.

I put a sock on it, and I haven't had clogs since.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Sagebrush said they had one cooking up but that was a while ago - I can make one this weekend if no one has any objection

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So who's got the spare thread?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Fully prepared to be ridiculed as I probably have done something wrong, but here's the deal:

Got my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro a few days ago and sat down to test print tonight. Got it set up, levelled the build plate, put on a dubious screen protector, the whole shebang. Loaded up the little rook piece provided by Elegoo (hey it's what they've got on board, why not?) and set it to print.

Prints came out beautifully, washed up great in my sonic cleaner. There's just one problem. They won't come off the build plate at all. I'm talking using a metal scraper trying to not scratch the build plate but at this point all I have been capable of is destroying the base of these rooks. Which I don't care too much about, they were proof of concept for the new printer and all.

Any suggestions? I didn't sand the build plate prior to printing but I read Elegoo's are pre-textured and the manual made no note of it.

Here's a picture of my carnage in case anyone would like some schadenfreude. The plate did not start that scratched but as I grew more frustrated and desperate my mad slashing began. The resin is Elegoo's own water-washable ceramic grey:

I'd like to salvage my build plate but I'm running out of ideas. A flex plate is very quickly going into my shopping cart for whenever I resolve this

Zodack fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 15, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Freeze in a freezer. It'll help pop em off easy.

Also, relevel your print bed.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Freeze in a freezer. It'll help pop em off easy.

Also, relevel your print bed.

Can do, thanks.

I was planning on a re-level after the beating I gave the plate, is that why you suggested that or did I miss something?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just in general it's a good idea. However, nothing should be that glued to the plate like that. It's just a smidge too low.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

And don’t worry about scratching the build plate. As long as you don’t put a gouge in it, it will be fine.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I was having a series of problems with our big dual extruder printer. Talked to the manufacturer and they said, “hey, yeah, I see you’re using simplify3D. We’ve been moving away from that in our print farm because the support and development is lacking these days. We’ve got beta configs for PrusaSlicer, try those” as part of their suggestions.

I’ve only done single extruder prints so far, but it’s like a whole new printer. Gentler movements, finer work done on curves, and I swear, quieter too. Also wayyyyyy loving better organization of settings in the software.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I was having a series of problems with our big dual extruder printer. Talked to the manufacturer and they said, “hey, yeah, I see you’re using simplify3D. We’ve been moving away from that in our print farm because the support and development is lacking these days. We’ve got beta configs for PrusaSlicer, try those” as part of their suggestions.

I’ve only done single extruder prints so far, but it’s like a whole new printer. Gentler movements, finer work done on curves, and I swear, quieter too. Also wayyyyyy loving better organization of settings in the software.

Yeah, I haven't used Simplify3D in years. It was handy back in the day when you were using lovely hobbyist printers and Cura/other free slicers just weren't up to the level they are today, though. Early on it paid for itself in not resulting in wasted prints because of supports that were welded into the printed object/etc.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Zodack posted:

Fully prepared to be ridiculed as I probably have done something wrong, but here's the deal:
You didn't do anything wrong. I really wish elegoo would change their test model because that rook model is horrible for exactly this reason. The freezer trick works fine, but I find it easier to just run the build plate under super hot water for 30 seconds and the prints should pop right off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Pretty funny that even the bigger commercial printer manufacturers are going for PrusaSlicer now.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Wibla posted:

Pretty funny that even the bigger commercial printer manufacturers are going for PrusaSlicer now.

Prusaslicer is the real poo poo and covers everything so cleanly. Just being to hover over every setting for a description and search for options you can't find is huge

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've moved from Cura to PrusaSlicer because I was having horrible adhesion issues and I couldn't find a physical reason why. So I gave it a shot and holy poo poo it's so much better.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Has anyone messed around with this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZo31BTU30

I didn't even know you could add things into the model from prusaslicer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

I didn't even know you could add things into the model from prusaslicer.

you absolutely can. I use .2mm thick cylinders at corners to prevent lift-up.

they call it 'mouse ears'

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Prusaslicer always splats a model down into contact with the build plate. You cannot position a model in midair.

Unless you add another model or shape as a part of the parent model, then you can position that anywhere and anyhow you like.

That took me a while to figure out :saddowns:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Prusaslicer always splats a model down into contact with the build plate. You cannot position a model in midair.

Unless you add another model or shape as a part of the parent model, then you can position that anywhere and anyhow you like.

That took me a while to figure out :saddowns:

There's even a "place on plate" button!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://llldmax.com/product/10-x-llldmax-pla-premium-3d-printer-filament-free-shipping/

Great price if you wanna bulk buy some filament. 10 rolls for 89 with free shipping.

Dunno if it's good or not, but hey, it's cheap.

Gst3d.com has a similar one going with it being 10 bucks cheaper. Low stock though.

Dunno about either filament, but figured someone might need some stock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the worst thread title

That said, when printing Duplo (toddler legos) adapters for stuff, make sure you print at 20% infill or higher, 5% is not enough to take the strain of the... connectors, teeth, whatever

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

https://llldmax.com/product/10-x-llldmax-pla-premium-3d-printer-filament-free-shipping/

Great price if you wanna bulk buy some filament. 10 rolls for 89 with free shipping.

Dunno if it's good or not, but hey, it's cheap.

Gst3d.com has a similar one going with it being 10 bucks cheaper. Low stock though.

Dunno about either filament, but figured someone might need some stock.

I took a chance on some of this fairly recently when they had 10 for $85, and I'm honestly kind of impressed at how well it prints for what it costs. Seems to be good material overall with consistent diameter. The spools are a bit weird, sort of janky injection molded things, but no snags or tangles so far and I've used up three full rolls.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Zodack posted:

Got my Elegoo Mars 2 Pro a few days ago and sat down to test print tonight. Got it set up, levelled the build plate, put on a dubious screen protector, the whole shebang. Loaded up the little rook piece provided by Elegoo (hey it's what they've got on board, why not?) and set it to print.

Prints came out beautifully, washed up great in my sonic cleaner. There's just one problem. They won't come off the build plate at all. I'm talking using a metal scraper trying to not scratch the build plate but at this point all I have been capable of is destroying the base of these rooks. Which I don't care too much about, they were proof of concept for the new printer and all.

Any suggestions? I didn't sand the build plate prior to printing but I read Elegoo's are pre-textured and the manual made no note of it.

Here's a picture of my carnage in case anyone would like some schadenfreude. The plate did not start that scratched but as I grew more frustrated and desperate my mad slashing began. The resin is Elegoo's own water-washable ceramic grey:

I'd like to salvage my build plate but I'm running out of ideas. A flex plate is very quickly going into my shopping cart for whenever I resolve this
The two non-flexplate ways to go with deplating stubborn models without wrecking the build plate are
1) use the right scraper-type tool, something with a very fine leading edge and rounded-off corners (that's where the build plate scratches come from) that you can work under the model and gradually lift it off the plate. the scraper that comes with the printer is atrocious and shouldn't be used unless you've used a sharpening stone to fix the horrible grind it comes with. ive posted about my go-to tool for this, a Japanese carpenter's knife; I have never met a model that this couldn't deplate fairly easily and without scratching the build plate, and I consider it an acceptable long-term substitute for a flex plate.

2) 'knock' the model off with a single firm strike with a blunt object like a mallet. obviously this isn't viable for super fragile parts, but it's pretty effective, and you can limit collateral damage significantly by striking with a "hammer and punch" approach instead of just a 'hammer'- what I mean is precisely locating a blunt 'punch' bar of some sort on a solid part of the model, ideally at the base and perpendicular to the build plate, and then striking the punch with your mallet instead of directly striking the model. This guarantees a very precise application of force and lets you 'knock off' surprisingly delicate models as long as they have a solid base. Do this over your wash tub or the model might break on the floor.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Yeah but like...just buy a flex plate

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
fair enough, but until the plate gets here, it's worth knowing you can knock prints clean off. people w resin printers should probably know how to run a part successfully with their stock machine even if they don't plan on using it that way on a day-to-day basis, so its worth knowing imo

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 17, 2021

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Sticking build plates with adhered parts in the freezer works for fdm, presumably it'll work for resin as well.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
For awhile I had set it up so my heated build plate would cool off after like 10 layers because I figured it wasn’t needed at that point. Then I figured out my increase in print failures was due the thermal contraction making things just pop off the bed. :doh:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hypnolobster posted:

Sticking build plates with adhered parts in the freezer works for fdm, presumably it'll work for resin as well.

Sure, if you don't mind getting residual resin in the freezer itself.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I pop mine into a big gallon Ziploc and then put that in a sealed/tied plastic Walmart bag. If it can't fit in the Ziploc I just do multiple layers of plastic bags or a garbage bag to ensure everything stays ok.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Switched from amazon brand PLA to hatchbox brand PLA (price differential: approx $1), no adhesion issues at all, did like three prints in a row today no issues, kicked off a 23-hour print a couple hours ago, working great so far

I pop mine into a big gallon Ziploc and then put that in a sealed/tied plastic Walmart bag. If it can't fit in the Ziploc I just do multiple layers of plastic bags or a garbage bag to ensure everything stays ok.

I bought one of these, comes with two units, very comfortably holds a 1kg spool, i dunno where you would buy a 2kg or 5kg spool, but it would probably hold one of those, as well. $25 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082J52RPW

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 17, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I meant my stuck resin print on the build plate. Those are pretty cool though!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ok I’m not one to do this often but at that point just buy a build plate.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I’ve definitely had a few FDM prints stick like hell to the glass Creality bed, than even after being out into the freezer, had to be whacked off the build plate with a block and mallet.

Definitely get a flexible build plate whether it’s for an FDM or Resin printer. Saves so much bullshit.

Fwiw I’m using a Th3d ‘EZMat’ on their springsteel bed. After a good 7 months of use I had to give it a quick sand with 600grit sandpaper and it’s good as new.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can you cure multiple models at once in a curing machine, or is it better to do them one at a time?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I do multiples at a time on the turntable ones, but I never wondered if that might help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Randalor posted:

Can you cure multiple models at once in a curing machine, or is it better to do them one at a time?

I don’t let them overlap but as long as your platform is rotating it will be fine. I do flip mine over and do another cycle even though I have a reflective surface underneath.