Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

snackmar posted:

The next great IP war

The staggering implications of almost-free home manufacturing should make any IP lawyer poo poo their pants and/or see dollar signs. This isn't going to happen overnight, but how many people churning out copies of stuff will it take for a large corporation to take notice? Even something simple like scanning remote control battery covers that people could print as replacements has the potential to blow up into a legal problem.

(A Target Store, 2070)

:j: Welcome to Target! What I can get for you?
:v: I want the Keurig X5 coffee maker, please.
:j: Ok, what colors for the case?
:v: Pantone 18-1762 TPX for the body and 19-4007 TCX for the trim.
:j: Nice color choice! I love hibiscus. Are there any modifications listed you'd like?
:v: Higher capacity reservoir. Oh, and the Wireless-V1 compatibility system and heuristical morning coffee timer. What the heck, I'll take the acoustic damping as well, that's only an extra $3.
:j: Ok! That's $89.99, it'll be printed for you in about ten minutes. MoneyPac or Credit?

I'm hoping this technology will lead to something like this in the future, because it will be cool as hell.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I really dig http://www.shapeways.com. The prices are quite reasonable, the community is helpful and they have a ton of different materials. Printing in stainless steel is just too cool.

They have a pretty good interface for uploading models and getting cost estimates.

Edit: Nevermind, saw some of the costs listed for standard customized stuff.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 15, 2010

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've started getting decent at using Autodesk 123D for making models and STL files. Has anyone here used i.materialize? You can upload a model and get a price quote fairly quick.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey, is it just me, or is Autodesk 123D really drat slow? I mean slow even by Autodesk standards, which is pretty slow.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've been budgeting for some kind of MakerBot, but this (reliability/warranty as well as parts availability and support) is one of my concerns.

What "generation" are these devices currently at? Second or third?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

techknight posted:

I'm selling 3D printed plugs over in SA-mart right now if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507170

Also, there's a new 3D printer coming soon called the PandaBot. Sturdy, metal frame, and I'm told that it will only be $800 fully-assembled:

This could be interesting. I'm waiting for a "second or third" generation printer before I jump in. Do most of these printers work with Windows 7 64-bit? That's quickly becoming the norm. I'd hate to drop $1k-$2k and not have it work on any of my computers.

My other concern is fumes - I noticed that I could distinctly smell the 3D printer when it was extruding. Not a huge deal, but I'd hate to cause issues with my apartment.

I just printed my first part out at the Cleveland Public Library last Saturday. It was pretty amazing, but it gave me a taste of some of the limitations of the technology.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 17, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am thinking about getting a Powerspec/Wanhao i3 Mini for printing some small parts.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/486633/Duplicator_i3_Mini_3D_Printer

Questions:

1. This machine prints based off GCODE files - is this a standard file format that can be generated from all kinds of different software, or is it a proprietary format? (I am more used to STL and I know that is not proprietary.)

2. This machine doesn’t any have a heated bed. Is there some kind of “sticker” that can be placed on the stage to facilitate printing and removal of parts? EDIT: I saw a material called “BuildTak” that is like this.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Gotcha - I always take salespeople advice with a grain of salt, especially in a commission-based place. I want to do my research beforehand so I minimize the chances of having a bad experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Any recommendations on software to go from STL or OBJ to GCODE?