Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fusion 360 is a great entry level modeler because the system of drawing basic sketches and doing simple features like revolves and extrudes on them is very easy to pick up.

edit: It just so happens to also be extremely powerful and work like the fancy schmancy software the pros use, so once you're good at it, you can do some pretty cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If you heat treat your pla print it’ll probably last fine in the car

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Will varnished and painted PLA stand up to being left outside in the elements, or do I need a fancier material?

If you heat treat it as well you should be fine. Toss it I a preheated 200 degree oven for 20 minutes, turn the oven off and let it cool down to room temperature in there. Should be fine after that.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

He may mean 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Whoops! Yes, 200 degrees American

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

sharkytm posted:

That sounds... Expensive. Does it transfer the brass to the part?

No, it burnishes the metal filament bringing out the shininess

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Tremors posted:

Are there any decent VR modeling programs people can recommend? I see there's a few on steam but it's hard to tell if any of them are significantly better than the others. I have a Vive if that makes a difference.

Check out flyingshapes. It’s free for hobbyists

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

...apparently if you don't have an internet link you can't generate STLs. :argh:

If you right click on a component or body you should be able to export as stl even if you’re offline.

I think

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

surfacelevelstudd posted:

the case you have your timer in is super slick. did you 3d print that, or buy it from somewhere?

also, do i need to worry about overheating or humidity if i put my 3d printer in my garage? where i live sits around ~40% humidity generally, but gets way more humid in the spring and fall, and the temperature ranges from 0-120 depending on the time of year. i can easily put it in the workshop room, was just hoping to avoid resin stench.

Humidity is definitely an issue for filament but you can build a closed system where the filament is stored in a box with lots of desiccant and travels through a bowden tube directly to the hot end. I can't remember where I saw the build but I'm sure someone else does.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

you'll wanna work on the continuity of your fillets though. goddamn that transition. it's not even g1 is it lmao

Oof

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

How do I go about getting cut 2020 and 3030 extrusions. I have no loving clue what I'm doing and the only stuff I can find is big lengths

Chop saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

aldantefax posted:

Alright, I had to clear another jam and I spotted a tangle in the feed, so I have concluded: gently caress this filament. I have another spool of Prusament that I am going to use instead and that's going to be fine until I get more Prusament in the mail. I might try Hatchbox in the future, but I'll save the Protopasta PLA for if I have some kind of emergency.

It's physically impossible to tangle filament in the factory when winding it so that's on you.