Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm curious how thin you can make stuff without making it prone to breaking?

Could you make something like, say, a hinged CD or DVD case? I imagine the little center-ring-seat thing would be trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hello. I'd like to learn about some of the model editing programs people would recommend. My local university library will soon start offering 3d printing on a first-come first-serve basis and I'd like to try it out a bit before word gets out and the wait lists get long. If I wanted to slap something simple together (right-angled shapes plus a place for a plastic screw, for example), what would be the best way to make that myself?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sorry for dumb questions. Figuring out how to implement a 3d model so I can have it cheaply printed locally. Working with TinkerCAD at the moment.

I'm basically making a little plastic rack to hold something in place. Here's my questions:

- What I want to do is put a threaded hole in the center of the rack (where I mspainted a black circle), and then either also print a plastic screw, or use a threaded hole that uses a standard screw thread. Either way, basically want to be able to use a thumb-screw to quickly change what's mounted on the rack. I'm assuming I need to look at a place like Thingverse to find threaded hole patterns?

- What tolerance of printer do I need to be able to print a threaded hole? For this setup, the maximum diameter of the screw threads is around 4mm. Is that too tiny to print? The printer I'd be using is a Makerbot Replicator 2. Would I have more luck printing without the hole, then drilling and tapping it myself? (I don't have the tapping tools myself, but maybe I could borrow some.)

- If I can print a threaded hole and a screw, I'd like to print them both on the same model, since I'm being charged a set price per printing. How thick of a 'stem' would I need to make, that I then print a screw vertically on top of, and could cut away later?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That seems way simpler, true. I'll run by the local hardware store and see if they carry any nylon screws that fine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thanks for all the kind advice, guys. My first printing went well!

Here's the original, old and broken, rack next to the new one I printed. The nylon nut I bought fit snuggly in the back, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just for reference, the library near me that has a 3d printer charges $2.00 flat per project, plus $0.25 per gram of plastic, so $25 for three objects even seems a little overpriced (unless that includes shipping or really big items)