Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
Hellz yes, a 3d printing thread.

I've started collecting parts together in the last few weeks for a RepRap Huxley (mini mendel), if i've not missed anymore parts from my BoM the final cost should be coming to about £350.

I'm writing up the build process here, one of my aims is to improve the documentation and build instructions around the huxley, as it is currently woefully under-documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Spent the entirety of today building this little feller, who needs to go outside or talk to other human beings?

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

krushgroove posted:

OK I guess before I start trying to save up to buy various bits and pieces I should make sure that the RepRap (the only thing I've priced up so far) isn't going to be outmoded or obsolete in the next couple of years. Can anyone tell me how long has the current version been out, and are the electronics due for an upgrade soon?

RepRap is an ever evolving project, but the good news is you can use your reprap to make the new bits for itself!

Right now, i'd suggest going for the Prusa Mendel, as its the best documented, simplest, and cheapest reprap.

Use a 1.75mm hotend for higher resolution printing, and RAMPS-based electronics (arduino shield + pololu)

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

ptier posted:

My only "issue" with the Huxley is the effort that people have to use to pop the piece off the surface after it has cooled. But then again, I also noticed that they have a piece of glass on top of the heater, so it shouldn't damage anything.

If you print PLA onto heated glass, once the print finishes you can cool the glass, and the print detaches itself, and can be lifted off.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

leo_r posted:

Hello!

Now that I'm grown up and have a real job, I think it's time I give in to my long standing desire to have a 3D printer.

The specific use case I have in mind (although I have a feeling once I have one I'll be printing left right and centre) is custom brackets - the kind of thing that joins together a pile of servos and electronics into one single thing. Making a robot chassis out of wood is always a horrendous process - being able to design something in CAD with all the correct mounting holes and hit print would be wonderful!

I'm based in the UK, so if anyone else lives here hearing their experiences on shipping and local suppliers would be brilliant.

I think £500 ($800) would be a reasonable expenditure. I can be flexible (having recently learnt that somebody I know puts that much up their nose every month, I'm feeling slightly more generous in budget), but something like a Replicator 2 would be too much.

The printers I've identified so far as possibly suitable are:

1. RepRap Prusa Mendel. I like the ethos of RepRap, the community seems large, and if I wanted to I could extend it. It looks like a mostly-assembled kit comes in at £450-£500. I also like the fact it has a fairly large heritage behind it. If anyone has any recommended suppliers (UK/EU based preferred) I'd appreciate hearing about them.

2. Solidoodle. I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread, although most recently for their poor shipping.

3. Printrbot.

My principal concerns are:

1. Community - I've owned enough obscure devices to know that if you go with the flow you're much more likely to find the support you need. It's great saving $100 but if you're the only person with any technical knowledge who owns a device then when it breaks you're screwed.

2. Cheap filament - I think all 3 can use fairly generic ABS, but I may be wrong?

3. Not too involved. I'm perfectly capable of populating circuit boards, but I don't really want to. Assembling a kit is fine, but assembling from scratch seems too much like hard work.

I'd love to hear of any experiences with the three (especially from people who've used more than one 3D printer). Currently I'm tending towards a Mendel Prusa, but if anyone thinks something else that I've not heard of (so much has happened in the 3D printing space in the last year!) would be worth investigating, please mention it. I know there's a lot of RepRap derivatives that might be worth investigating.

The RepRapPro Mendel will do what you want.

Its made by Adrian Bowyer (who started the whole reprap project), It uses Melzi Electronics, which come preassembled and are hard to gently caress up, and is a well designed printer from a well respected UK company.

http://reprappro.com/Mendel

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

However, a new problem has cropped up. My Y layers get offset each couple of layers. Nothing seems to be bumping into the contact that sets the Y position at zero, so I don't know what to do next.

Check the grub screw holding your Y pulley to the stepper motor, i've had this issue before when it came loose.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I'm looking at putting together a mendel90, the sturdy variant, since I'm equipped to do mdf all day long. But man, all those printed parts. I've found kits that are just the printed parts for $75, is that reasonable or silly? Anyone know a better source? I'm trying to put this together for our budding makerspace, and we have a puny (basically non-existent) budget for now, so I'll probably be donating anything I have to buy.

Where are you? Our Hackspace got a dibond mendel90 donated, I can print you a set of parts to pay it forward if you pay shipping :cheers:

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Last week our Mendel90 spool snagged, the printer climbed up the filament, and it spent 8 hours wiggling itself, climbing up and crashing down while valiantly attempting to complete the print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZhuCOPJNs8

Hͥͫ̌ͣ̇e͈̙̖̪͕͔ c͖͊̂̍̉̍ͥͨó̹̜̺̘̬̋͋͐m̮͙͎̰̯͖̌̒̎ͥ́e͊s͖͖ͧ

Took it down, relevelled the X axis, printed again right off. Get a Mendel90.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

gently caress, my local place just bumped up to $250/month full time.

Holy balls, we're £10 a month ($17)

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Thing that holds the FPV goodies

Hows your layer adhesion? Those tall thin columns are setting off my "OH GOD SUPER FRAGILE" brainparts.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

I've been trying to figure out what the scam is, and am coming up blank.

AliExpress keeps all transaction funds in escrow until both the buyer and the seller confirm they are happy with the transaction, so even if its a scam, you can reclaim all your money.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

I figured out the scam. They're 'shipping' via china post, offering you a partial refund because the listing said UPS, which releases the remainder to them if you accept it. I wrote a full thing up at http://thinkl33t.co.uk/anatomy-of-a-scam-the-tale-of-the-40-3d-printer/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

Upload the gcode somewhere and we can have a look - he might just not be waiting long enough for hotend to be at temperature.