Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've been wanting one of these things for a while, and have soldering/building experience from building loads of radio-control cars for years. With a goon thread, what could go wrong? These look like something that could be built in modules, like one major part every month or so, until I'm able to build something like a full-size trebuchet to attack the neighbors.

I know things have progressed to the point where you can buy one of these ready-made, but what's a ballpark cost look like for someone who doesn't mind building one (except for smaller more intricate parts like circuit boards, heaters, etc.)? And how many hours does it take to make, approximately?

edit: did some digging...
plastic parts to make the RepRap, 120 GBP (I'm in the UK)
1 x Stepper Motor Driver v2.3 Fully Assembled
1 x Extruder Controller v2.2 Fully Assembled
1 x RepRap Motherboard v1.2 Fully Assembled, 120 USD (plus shipping)
3 RepRap Stepper drivers, 35 USD each
3 RepRap Opto Endostops, 5 USD each for kit
1 Mendel USB and power connector, 15 GBP
hardware set, 79 GBP

I'm sure there are plenty of shops in the UK/EU with the electronics, etc., just need to find them individually. This looks like it would be an amazing project!

Is the RepRap something that can be converted to print metal parts?

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK I guess before I start trying to save up to buy various bits and pieces I should make sure that the RepRap (the only thing I've priced up so far) isn't going to be outmoded or obsolete in the next couple of years. Can anyone tell me how long has the current version been out, and are the electronics due for an upgrade soon?

And then I guess the next step is learning a 3D program - can these take input from any of the programs out there?

DarkHorse posted:

My understanding is that they've only managed to print thin metal traces, presumably for electronics, with a low-temp eutectic material, basically like solder. Even that is very limited. Remember that they'd have to melt it, and the parts doing the melting would require a higher melting point than the medium.

That said, there's nothing conceptually impossible about it. Someone who is more familiar with RepRap can say more.

Well that's still cool - I would probably start with ABS doodads and eventually progress to trying lost-wax at some point, just to try it out, so I making metal items could be done that way, so actually printing metal things doesn't need to take place.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

theparag0n posted:

RepRap is an ever evolving project, but the good news is you can use your reprap to make the new bits for itself!

Right now, i'd suggest going for the Prusa Mendel, as its the best documented, simplest, and cheapest reprap.

Use a 1.75mm hotend for higher resolution printing, and RAMPS-based electronics (arduino shield + pololu)

Sounds like a plan! I'm guessing that most of the electronics in the 'starter' models can be used in the more advanced models, right?

(and of course the first model can print parts for the next more advanced model, and most or all of the hardware can be re-used)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 30, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

perianwyr posted:

The thing is that if you've built it yourself, I'd imagine that future upgrades would be as simple as a new board. FDM is old technology, and what you're doing is playing catch up with $30000 machines right now.

FDM is really the simplest possible RP technique (it is like milling.... but in reverse!)

That's cool - I've built all my desktop PCs and radio control cars for decades (yeesh that makes me sound old) so upgrading/rebuilding isn't that daunting, it's building circuit boards that I've never done but I'd like to try. If upgrading to RepRap v2 or whatever involves rebuilding with a few new parts and swapping a logic board or whatever that sounds pretty reasonable for a hobbyist really.

What's the largest size item that can be made on a normal sized RepRap?

edit: just saw this on MAKE magazine, if I read this site regularly I'm in danger of blowing my budget and buying all the parts I need way ahead of schedule!

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/01/beco_blocks_are_home-printable_bloc.html

Some background info and the files for printing are here: http://robodino.org/post/2490094456/beco-blocks-the-3d-printable-snap-together-ball-and-sock

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 7, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Arduino Documentary is online: http://vimeo.com/18539129

and I guess the originator of the MakerBot is in there around the 12-13 minute mark, as one of the early adopters of Arduino - I didn't realize the MakerBot has a bunch of Arduino controllers in it. I was given an Arduino last year but haven't had time to play around with it yet. I did get a breadboard and LEDs to start learning electronics but I've been busy with other stuff.

Has anyone tried making an open-source CNC router? I figure that would be right up the alley of folks with RepRaps and MakerBots, etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Midjack posted:

Not personally, no, but I know that plans exist and have been successfully built and used.

Found this one last week, if you donate enough they send you parts, a part-built or a completely built CNC machine with different routers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1783494646/modular-desktop-cnc-machine The basic version fits a Dremel!

I know this isn't the Home-Built CNC Router Thread but it's another piece of home-brew coolness that would be perfect with a 3D printer :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm trying to find parts to buy so I can get the various bits in stages - I can't afford to get everything at once. Strangely, I can't find a site that sells the MakerBot frame (or anything) by itself, just the MakerBot official site that sells the entire machine in various models. The RepRap seems to be the only machine that you can buy in parts to build yourself, is this true or is my Google-Fu just weak?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Videodrome posted:

Waiting on my Thingomatic is getting infuriating. I keep watching Skeinlayer run simulations of my gcode and thinking "Wow, this will be cool as hell when there is a machine actually doing this!"

I had been wanting a 3D printer for years now, and had been debating building a Cupcake for the last year. This thread, along with a project idea I had at Christmas, convinced me to finally pull the trigger on the new ToM. Now I'm dying from waiting on it to actually ship.

Are you building it, or ordering a turnkey model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Folks at MIT have printed a working, nearly perfect flute: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/01/print-your-own-flute.html

(with video)