Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.
I've been toying with getting one of these, and I'm curious: most of the models I've seen posted here have lines on them as relics of the printing process. Can these be sanded down reliably? Secondarily, can any of the materials be used safely as, say, a plate or as a mold for food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.

Aurium posted:

Carnauba wax melts around 82-87C (180-187F). Boiling water would be a no go. Shellacs can melt anywhere between 70 and 120C (158 to 248). Unfortunately, many are on the lower end of that range, and wouldn't work.

There are plenty of foodsafe polyurethanes too, so thanks for the reminder techknight. They would meet your temperature requirements.

As far as how serious a threat bare plastic is. It honestly is hard to say. To my knowledge nobody has gotten sick from printed items, and the vast majority of unsafe additives have long been withdrawn from the market. But some moderately hazardous ones remain if there no expectation for food handling, things like fire suppresants, industrial lubricants, and the like. All of this would be on the material sheet.

For my personal use, I'd be ok with something like a cookie cutter, but not with something like a soup bowl where a hot liquid would sit in it and possibly either leech out, or get trapped in the porous structure and spoil. Even the soup bowl would probably be safe, I just wouldn't, unless I knew more about the plastic than just what kind it was.

Since you seem to know what you're talking about with regards to food safety, I intend to grill you further! I would need to be able to withstand dishwashing, and regular use - so for example, a soup bowl would be both exposed to hot liquids sitting in it and the scraping of a spoon. As I am fairly risk-adverse, I am looking for the kind of food safety where one could legally sell it as a food-consumption-related product. My hope is to make things along the lines of bowls, plates, and molds for a variety of food materials (like chocolate, or jello). I have a few chemist friends who are qualified to read MSDSs. Do the polyurethanes accept sanding as well as ABS? I assume that they would be used as a casting material rather than as a coating.