Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I was interested in the thread for the same reason, but after looking at pictures of the output on a couple of sites I don't think the €500 machines are really up to it. You'd have to do a fair bit of work before the models were usable, and even then the fine detail isn't really there.

Currently trying to convince my boss to spend €12000 on one of the professional ones :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Cakefool posted:

They were judging a round of the Toyota Technology challenge at work today, Normally I pop in and have a look at what the schools have whipped up and today one of the schools had a 3d printer they were using to make complicated parts of their solar racecars, it was a RapMan 3, stepper motored, laser-cut acrylic construction with threaded rod support, the sample prints they had on the table were incredible.

No pictures unfortunately but whipping out my cameraphone in a room full of schoolkids would have been frowned upon :pedo: :v:

Anyway, straight back to my desk & start searching, I think this needs to be added to the OP - it starts at £795, is upgradable to triple extruder head & was developed by Bath University

http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/content/rapman-31-3d-printer-kit

I had to force myself not to immediately blow my bonus on it.

Wow, that really is impressive. It still doesn't have particularly fine detail, but that's a huge print area. I think that's why the models look smoother, check the scale - those screws are 6 inches long.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Where do you get 5 grand from? The article says €1200, which is what, $1700?

I think the price of the resin is going to be the important thing for the liquid based ones, and there doesn't seem to be anything about that in the article unfortunately.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Giant robot builder Jamie Mantzel (check it out if you haven't heard of him, the guy's amazing) has a 3D printer, which seems likely to lead to awesome things. There are a couple of videos about him using it, but I thought the one about printing large objects without using a heated build platform might be useful to someone here.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Penetration depth of the UV into the resin probably has an effect too.