Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Got an Ender 3 last week - spent about a week printing tiny rats to dial in the settings, interspersed with printer upgrades . Extremely happy with my results:

I've definitely had some minor issues, mostly with quality control on the parts. (Stripped threads on a bed leveling knob, off center electronics box cover that overlapped where one of the extrusions should connect) but for the price I certainly can't complain. Hella fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

armorer posted:

What settings are you using for these? I've got an ender 3 too and wouldn't mind comparing. I've gotten some nice prints as well, but my printer is in the middle of a batch of upgrades so it's temporarily out of comission.

Here's my reference rats: (click for big)

Draft, Fine, and Extra Fine are the default Cura profiles for 0.2mm, 0.1mm, and 0.06mm respectively, with the last one being Extra Fine manually changed to 0.08 (Since I had read that the Ender3 operated based at multiples of 0.04)
SiePie is a settings file posted here
And FDG is the Fat Dragon Games profile here modified to have a lower extruder temp, bed temp, and 95% flow. (Edit: that 1.0 should say 0.1)

The door here:

Was printed at either Fine or Normal, I can't remember which honestly, but it was one of the cura defaults

And the Rogue here:

Which I think is by far the best print I've done - was the basic FDG profile at 0.1mm, but angled back 45 degrees or so such that no support structures touched his face or front body

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 30, 2019

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Couple more prints:
A snake, printed in two pieces to reduce supports

My girlfriend made an 18 Str wizard for a D&D campaign and we were having trouble finding an appropriate mini so I made one with a monk model as a starting point:

This was printed before the rogue and I used the default supports, which was a mistake as it left a lot of garbage on his skirt area

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

This is really tempting me. I wish I had anywhere ventilated enough to run a resin printer.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So how dangerous are these fumes, exactly. I have a spot in a detached garage that wouldn't get into the house, but also wouldn't be ventilated - is that good enough?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Well, I had a good run, but the Ender 3 Curse finally caught up with me.

I had (what I thought was) a clogged nozzle, and ordered a pack of various sizes thinking I'd mess around with them. Well changing the nozzle turned into a giant clusterfuck.

Near as I can tell, when I inserted the new bowden tube, there was enough crud inside the coupler, or maybe the coupler was just lovely, still not sure, that it felt like it hit bottom nowhere near close enough, and filled up with plastic, causing a significantly worse result than the original.

After finally figuring this out and struggling to clean it, I replaced the coupler entirely, and put everything back together.

It's still lovely. (But not as tremendously lovely)

I've confirmed if I pull the filament out that it's clean and there isn't a visible clog in the nozzle or the heat tube, and if I manually push filament through it squirts out fast and dandy.

But when I print, it has long stretches of doing good, followed by a fairly consistent interval of extreme under- to no extrusion:
Print 1:

Print 2:

I marked the filament with some sharpie as it entered the extruder and watched it - during the "good" printing it pulls the dots consistently, but during the bad printing the dots don't move. I don't know if the extruder isn't able to pull, or if it is trying to pull and some drag somewhere down the line blocks it from going forward.

Please tell me what dumb thing I am missing; I've been fiddling with this for a week, and while I have learned a lot, I would like to print things again.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Rexxed posted:

I had good luck cleaning out the heatbreak tube with the bowden tube like in this video with the hotend heated up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qqKUwviww

I tried this yesterday and tonight. No luck - exact same poo poo.

I feel like I have to be fundamentally missing something in the re-assembly but I have no idea what

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Immediately after posting that I took everything apart again and tried pushing the filament through just the extruder and first coupler and I noticed it had a weird resistance to it before it even got to the bowden tube.

Extruder lever has a crack. Man, I hope this is it.

I didn't actually test the extruder without the tube attached though, how do I do that? I don't see an extrude option in the control menu

Rexxed posted:

Since it's some kind of flow restriction is seems like a clog but if you've cleaned everything out and it's not unclogging I'd check that your extruder can push out filament (with the bowden tube unhooked) at a normal rate next, then maybe try another nozzle in case you got a weird one.

I'm on nozzle #4, I got a pack of ten so I've changed them a couple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Rexxed posted:

That's got the pulley on the other side that holds filament tension to the gear with the teeth that actually moves the filament through so being all broken would mean less pressure and could very well be your issue. They make official aluminum replacements for that or you could consider a third party extruder as an upgrade.

Yes, that did it! Thanks!