Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Here is the ring I ordered!
First, the design:

And second, the printed resin! (Sorry for poo poo iphone camera quality)

Everything turned out exactly as I had wanted :D I'm doing this a bit different than normal so the next step is to make wax reproductions of the resin and then cast those in silver, and blacken the low points. Should look pretty cool when it's done :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

Edit:
Nevermind, it's back up at a new url: http://3dhomemade.blogspot.ca/2012/03/kit-update.html

Basically, Junior Veloso's resin printer is pretty expensive in full form, but partial kits could be $600.

Interesting...but i guess not totally unexpected. Even buying the kit from him still means you need to source a ton of parts from other places for the same cost as a full kit parts like the frame, motor and projector. Or so I would think? This does open up possibilities for people to create cheaper frames though...

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm looking at the prices posted up for Veloso's printer and I'm shocked. They are well beyond what I would call "a little expensive"... Not to mention you can't even see an itemized BOM without paying $160. Lame. Maybe I will follow Lemon Curry instead.

I feel the saaaaaame way. That or someone will buy the BOM and tweak so they can release it as open source. I just cant believe this:

1) Software and controller board.
2) All necessary motors for the printer
3) The linear actuators
4) Power supply for the controller board and motors
5) Building tray
6) Building head (area that the object is build)

costs $2000. Especially from what i've seen of these printers and it only seems they actually need to move in Y. I thought maybe the precision is what makes it so expensive, but ultimakers do that on 3 axis and they dont cost 6 grand :psyduck:
Mind you I am certainly no engineer so I could be way off base here.

ninja edit: And after indiegogo that's going to cost 2700 :psyboom:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Obsurveyor posted:

Don't forget the super expensive resin you will be purchasing from him too! $350 per liter compared to $40/liter for the lemon curry guy's resin.

A year ago, Junior Veloso could have offered these kinds of prices, people would have ate them up and it would be cutting edge poo poo. Anyone who purchases this stuff today is just a sucker.

Yea, that price is right up there with commercial printers. Like the asiga that was just released on saturday. OH YES, 4cm x 3cm x 7.5cm build envelope SIGN ME UP FOR 7 THOUSAND DOLLARS. Mind you they are boasting a pretty impressive 1 micron Z resolution.
https://www.asiga.com/store/

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Cakefool posted:

Yeah $350 per litre is taking the piss.

Turns out it wont cost that much apparently...
the indie gogo page is up, although i'm sure you've all seen it by now.
http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter

He says the resin price will be 150 per kilo-ish.
Mind you he said his printer would be around 1500 so he could be totally bullshitting everyone.

Also jesus man please get someone who knows english to write your marketing material :psyduck:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Midjack posted:

Viscosity and other flow characteristics, if they're different enough.

most of this would mean the amount of time the light takes to harden it right? Hopefully veloso built layer hardening times into his software or people gonna be maaaad when they cant use cheaper resins or he decides to stop making it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Oh god oh god oh god

Another resin based printer, and this one looks legit, professional, and awesome...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer

I'm really considering it...

Yesyesyesyes! So wonderful to see someone picking up the slack that Junior has made over the past two years. Also this dude seems really cool, AND the fact that he's open sourcing everything is just awesome. I wonder if those resins can be lost wax cast...

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

InternetJunky posted:

For the resin machines, what exactly is limiting the resolution of the print?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think it's the resolution of the projector in X and Y and then the stepping of the build platform in Z?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

kafkasgoldfish posted:

What a coincidence, I just came in to point out that Veloso's indiegogo had 41 hours left and has only achieved $110,000 of $300,000.

That's an interesting link but I was under the impression that each layer was exposed for several or many seconds. Does even 100ms of delay matter? Does anyone know what the actual time per layer is?

I dont know exact time...I remember veloso saying the time per layer was 4 seconds but I guess if we're dealing in milliseconds that could be anything around there.

Especially since that weasel didn't want to give any of his information up!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

I think that's a pretty unfair characterization of Veloso. A lot of folks don't agree with his pricing, or assumed that his efforts would be at least partially open source, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a weasel.

I was definitely in the camp that thought his project would be more of a community thing than a commercial one.. Maybe it was the slightly-off english that made the website seem like it was more of an amateur thing?

Yea I guess that was my bad. But I felt the same way too, every way he went about it seemed like he was for open source and the community only at the *seemingly* last minute to now be all about profits and 300k in a month. Either way whats done is done and him starting his project (and the way he finished it) encouraged lots of others to as try well and that is a good thing.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Same Great Paste posted:

You're a loving smart person. (bolding in your quote is mine)

An update from him this weekend is regarding a (successful) 25 micron layer test.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer/posts/244460

Yea this is getting insane...ly awesome. I think he's made an additional 200k in the past week just on last minute orders! And the resolution he is achieving is unbelievable. He thinks there is no reason they couldn't slice it into thinner than 25 micron layers and I (assume) the only thing stopping the x/y resolution is the projector, which could be upgraded for stupid insane resolution in all directions.
That combined with perfect burnout tests for casting makes me one very, very happy person.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Not an Anthem posted:

What photopolymer dlp printers are out right now? I recently saw a bank of them in a manufacturing context that was very, very unexpected and it looked slightly like the veloso's. I want to purchase one, I remember veloso was on indiegogo but these, while looking like something built by an engineer from a kit, didn't look like the velosos that I've seen photos of online.

I know there are more out there than veloso being used. Anyways the resolution was loving stunning and I basically need one.

Followup question, related.. small 3D scanners? Does anyone know about them? What kinds of small 3D scanners are there, are they all laser based or are there different types?

Are you talking about the B9 creator?
http://www.b9creator.com
Go to the kickstarter for more info, this is pretty much veloso's except you can switch between 100 and 50 micron resolution and the resin used in the B9 is CHEAP. If you see the little Eiffel tower he made it apparently cost 10 cents in resin.

He's filling out kickstarter orders now, or early august and then will have a webstore up to accept orders for more kits. Can't wait! Also if your production prototyping ever needs metal pieces, they did full burnout tests and the resin can be cast pretty much just like wax.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Dear god their resin is expensive

Yea I noticed this too, especially compared to the B9.

Someone could always try and print an airsoft gun....i know they have springs and an electric motor but I bet you could do the rest pretty well.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TerminalSaint posted:

You could probably print one of the quality you'd find in a hardware store or walmart no problem, but with a high-performance airsoft gun you'd run into a few problems. Without a soft rubber hopup bucking you wouldn't get a good airseal or backspin on your BBs. A metal barrel is pretty important for accuracy and velocity. Durability would be an issue too, even metal gearbox housings can be prone to cracking in high FPS setups.

Ah yea, I guess there is a lot more to think about than just printing the plastic parts. SILLY ME.
Until then, we can print little catapults and desktop trebuchets because we don't need no stinkin' technology to fire miniature projectiles!

I really want the B9 store to open up :( I'm all ready to purchase one! Take my money dammnit!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Linux Assassin posted:

Casting, printing, build size oh my!

The issue i see with your points in general, is it's a mix between a fun 3D printer that needs tweaking and something that can output consistent size and detail. Wanting detail and a large build volume is something that's mostly limited to the super fancy expensive printers (except maybe the makerbot?)

In terms of casting, I have no idea about the burnout properties of abs and pla. I know that the B9Creator tested their resin in burnout and it performed perfectly, but the build size is small. I guess you just have to choose what you want the most and see which printer can enable you to do that the best.

I'm also having problems choosing, I want the B9 but envisiontec just put out a new, smaller jewellery capable printer.

These are it's specs:

Build Envelope: 1.58" x 1.18" x 3.94"(40 x 30 x 100mm)
ERM Pixel Size: 31 μm (0.0012")
Linear Z Axis Resolution: 1 μm
Dynamic Voxel Resolution in Z: 25 μm (0.0010") to 35 μm 0.0014" (material dependent)
Light Source: LED
Data Handling: STL
Warranty: 2 years in factory parts and labor
Footprint: 9"L x 8"W x 24"H (23cm x 18cm x 58cm)
Weight: 29 lbs./13 kg
Electrical: 110V, 3 Amps

Build area is tiny but ohhhh mah gahhhd that resolution/accuracy.
It's also $20,000 :negative: maybe i'll try and get a small business loan.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

Thought I'd share something I'm working on... I really like the Sappho's Head sculpture scanned by Artec, so I've printed another copy at 1.5X times normal to try a few finishing techniques.

I'll be making a video, but so far I've done some sanding, fixed overhang troublespots with modelling epoxy, and so far have applied two coats of bronze acrylic paint.

Coat 1:

Coat 2:

I'm guessing that a third coat should do it - but I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of finishing laquer that should go on after that? I've painted a few details on stuff before, but never an entire model.

Did you use primer first? Even a spraypaint primer should help the paint cover more evenly, and help it adhere to the plastic. As for lacquer you can get a spray varathane coating that's usually used for woods but would help protect the paint.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

Nope! I have no idea what I'm doing, basically. :) I'll look into the varathane, and some primer for the next time.

Yea primer is pretty key for painting on plastic. Look into tutorials or w.e on painting plastic miniatures (e.g. warhammer) and that should be about the same for painting on the printers plastics :)

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

Nice! Have some example prints? One of the Toronto 3D Printers members has one and he got it up and running pretty quick.

There is a Toronto group?! Hmmm I may have to check that out...

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Very awesome, looks like they're moving a lot more towards the less calibration and more refined outer shell + lcd screen. Plus 100 microns! Oooooo babay.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Tad SG posted:

B9 creator was similar to Veloso's, and it had 100 microns (could go lower with calibration though)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer

Yea B9 can go to 50 microns x/y and supposedly to 10 microns in Z, although I believe the lowest he has tested and released publicly was 25. Waiting for two things, my student loan, and him to open pre orders again! :D

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

boondocksts posted:

Has anyone received a B9 yet?

He just sent out 200 of them so I assume they'll be getting them soon!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

cultureulterior posted:

Check out the formlabs machine- it's like a b9, but with lasers- http://formlabs.com/
I'm seriously thinking of buying one.

JUST as I was about to pre order a B9....NOW THIS. drat this fast paced technology! This one does look really cool though! And that build volume :O

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Cockmaster posted:

Well, the b9 looks like it's capable of higher resolutions than that thing (50-100 microns in the x/y plane, as opposed to 300 for the Formlabs machine).

Doesn't it say the layer thickness is 25 microns though?

EDIT: What is the difference between layer thickness and "smallest feature size"?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Cockmaster posted:

The b9 can go as low as 10 microns.

And will each machine end up requiring resin formulated specifically for it?

I assume they will, dlp would cure its resin at one wavelength where the laser would cure it at another (I think.)

The goop is 149 a litre, apparently about 16ish cents per cubic centimeter. They say it's about as much of a hazard as bleach, probably shouldn't be washing your hands with it but having it around isn't bad. When it's cured it's apparently safe though.

I need sub 40 microns (lost wax casting puts about a 40 micron texture onto everything) so anything lower than that is cool but not entirely necessary. I wish I could see tests of a layer thickness of 25 with varying x/y resolutions to see how much it actually changes.

EDIT: Looking at the fancy printers they don't seem to have a "feature size" or X/Y resolution. It does however give an X/Y/Z dpi, can I convert that somehow to x/y resolution?

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 27, 2012

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Cockmaster posted:

I wonder what sort of print quality you could get if you built something like the B9 printer but with a 4K projector. Though that would obviously have to wait for 4K projectors to get much less expensive and much smaller.

Sure: 1/dpi = feature size in inches, which you can then convert into metric units.

Oh snap! This crazy 50,000 printer has a feature size of 67 microns. I would have thought it was smaller. Thanks!

I actually asked the guy who made the B9 what the chances were of keeping that 50 micron resolution but making the build area larger and he said the only thing that was limiting him was the fact that he would need a 4k projector that he would then modify for the short distance.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ahhhhhhh, finally pre-ordered my B9 creator! Pretty excited, he says the next set will ship out mid-late January.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Got my B9 Creator resin in the mail today....now all I need is the machine!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Linux Assassin posted:

does anyone have a B9 creator and can confirm/deny the level of accuracy possible?

I saw an awesome form1 print that had a heart with a pipe inside the heart which was complete and could have fluid passed through it with a syringe. I'd love to hear if a B9 can do similar.

Yea the prints coming out of it are insane, there is a jeweller i'm following who is kind of heading up the whole lost wax casting test part of it, and he has some pretty amazing pictures.

Here is a zergling that has been drilled and tapped post print.

Here is a picture of some of the jewellery prints:

boondocksts posted:

You should check out their support forums, a number of users are posting some impressive prints. I preordered one after seeing a few prints, hopefully they will ship out by the end of next month (I think the target was mid December when I first preordered :/ )

Yea the target is mid February, he had some updates to do to the machine to prevent dust getting into the projector lens among other things.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

I'm nearly done with my latest life-size sculpture print.. Just have to get some paint.

I'm probably going to use the white onyx version of this spray paint.

The files can be downloaded from here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39449

That's amazing! How long do these take to print?!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

So awesome :D

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but when do you guys do the Toronto 3D printing events?
I'm getting my B9 soon and would like to get a wee bit more involved in the community :)

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

My B9 Creator ships out in the next few days! :holy: I can't waiiiiiiit

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

boondocksts posted:

Anyone else get their B9 printer today? Hopefully I'll be up and running this weekend and I will have a few pictures to share

Ahhhh I'm jealous! Mine is somewhere in transit from Chicago to Toronto and I'm dying for it to get here!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

boondocksts posted:

I didn't realize it doesn't come with any resin so I just ordered some :( not surfer how quickly that ships but I won't be building it until I know it's on the way.

Oh lame! Yea I ordered my resin back in December, and it shipped pretty quickly!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

And after every print on an Objet you're meant to soak a lint-free cloth with alcohol, put down a mirror so that you can see the underside of the print head, and then gently wipe away any built-up crud on the inkjet heads and elsewhere on the overall printhead.

But don't do it in the wrong direction or too hard or too far along the head or you'll destroy the whole thing and have to pay ten thousand bucks on replacement bits. Also on some of the liquid materials you have a limited window of time after the print before it hardens and destroys the jets on its own.

The worst is when re-calibration is needed.. You print out thin square sheets of material (one from each head) and then have to scrape them up and manually weigh them and fill out a spreadsheet to tweak some numbers in the hidden maintenance menu.

Definitely interesting tech and it was cool to maintain one, but goddamn it could use some UX improvements.

I had no idea they were this complicated to maintain :aaaaa: I mean I have some maintenance with my B9 Creator but that's ridiculous.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Sagebrush posted:

All of the industrial-grade machines are that way. I think one of the test parts with the Objets is a clear piece with internal geometry and you're supposed to fill it up with colored water and make sure it flows through the internal channels properly. I have a friend who worked with large SLS machines for a long time, and when those have to be calibrated you have to build a special part that takes up the entire volume of the machine (mostly hollow, obviously) and measure the thickness at different points. Then on the bottom of the part there are all these little cantilevered pieces, and you're supposed to measure how much they deflect before breaking off to see that the machine is fusing the powder correctly; the wrench you need to do the bend test is printed as part of the test piece and you snap it off to use it.

It's neat stuff but yep, hella maintenance intensive.

Whoaaaaa that sounds pretty cool with the coloured liquids. At least they made maintenance day (every day?) seem fun haha.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

So cool, I've been meaning to do something like this for a while instead of just small rings and stuff. I'd have to find a place that can cast such large bronze pieces, though.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Thermopyle posted:

That Rogue might be the best print I've seen off of one of these cheap printers.

(not that I'm an expert always looking at millions of different prints)

I haven't been keeping up with FDM printers at all, but that rogue looks like it's on the heels of my B9 Core, which is pretty amazing.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TKIY posted:

Screw it, ordered a Photon S.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, I know people that use them for jewellery and the detail is quite good.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

B9 released a new resin made for printing out fine models for game enthusiasts as well as model train builders etc. Got a bottle of it and decided to give it a whirl, sculpted a hellboy face with some hair and ear detail as well as the horns to see if it got them all nice and crisp.

Holy hell. This stuff is nuts, printed at 50xy and 20z:

I don't know what wizardry these SLA printers are using to get rid of the build lines, but especially in this case it works very well. Print took about 2 hours, as opposed to my normal hour ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Sagebrush posted:

Optical physics. The extrusion from an FFF printer is a hard-edged cylinder*, while a laser spot (or the edge of a masked light source) is a nice smooth gaussian fade. That helps the layers blend into one another.

*well actually it's squashed into a pseudodiscorectangular prism but CLOSE ENOUGH

I think mine is using a projector, so the light would still be in dots? It probably still applies though, I only know how to print gud, not the magic behind it haha. I read an article a while back about being able to scale brightness of the pixels to smooth prints but it went a bit over my head.