Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

This Beam3D resin printer just went live on Kickstarter, $199 early birds are still available.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beam3d/the-prism-desktop-3d-printer

Very cool seeing these cheaper printers with such high detail. Looking forward to seeing the reviews!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TKIY posted:

Well I think I got the Photon S dialed in.

Well done! Looking pretty nice.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TKIY posted:

Finally got this printed!

SLA supports are a bitch.

I have found success in making supports thick up until they're close, and then tapering them down just so they have some connection. Makes the damage they do pulling them off much easier, and the thickness supports the supports coming in at weirder angles.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Hey all! My work has me using DLP resin printers really often but I finally decided to step into the world of FDM. Bought a Prusa Mk3s+ and assembled it this weekend. Calibration seems to have gone well, said everything was nice and even/level, which is great.

When I was doing the nozzle height calibration it took me a bit to figure it out, as it turns out I needed to crank it down to -1.6. The book shows a few different looking "shapes" of output, one of which was the optimal, but others were too thick or too thin. I did my best to adjust it, and think I got it? The line is just really small and it's hard to tell whether or not what I did was the correct one. Does anyone have any tips? Is there more leeway than what it shows? It is sticking to the bed and laying a nice line that isn't perfectly round for sure, and I don't think it's really flat?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Doctor Zero posted:

Their calibration print doesn’t give you much feedback. Make the square bigger, or find / make a bigger square that’s one layer tall and check that.

If you are printing something with a wider base you can also adjust it live, which is what I usually do.

Cool thanks! Do you find yourself adjusting it much or is it more of a one and done sort of thing?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Awesome, thank you!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

space uncle posted:

Try using this print to figure out z level:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/36706-bed-level-test

It’s a lot easier to tweak as the squares fill in. You will want to tweak the z offset if you use different kinds of plastic (maybe even PLA from different brands?) or if you get a new steel sheet or nozzle.

I was going to install a .6mm nozzle but then I saw the instructions asked for a torque wrench. I know I could just not be an idiot and not overtighten it and break the hotbed, but instead I ordered a cheapo click wrench to measure out 2.5 Nm for me.

Amazing, thank you so much! I seemed to have it dialed in and the whistle print came out relatively flawless. I have some more questions but need to take pictures so I can give some context.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Resin's got a drat good surface finish for something fresh from the printer, but it's honestly still very coarse by metal finishing standards. A scratch in a finished brass/aluminium etc part that you can feel with a fingernail is considered pretty bad and needs some personalized multi-abrasive-grit finishing attention- you can feel every single step in a resin print in the same way if you try; fine for lots of parts, just not a tooling master; there i wanna blend the fine waterline/layer steps into one another without leaving tool/buff marks in the finish. Sandpaper isn't really practical for finishing stuff like 3d dies with really intricately-detailed designs, or at least it's a poor fit for the task compared to something that conforms to the part. Vibratory polishing absolutely works but you don't have much control over the process in terms of targeting the polishing action, that's fine for bulk-finishing miniatures or whatever but it'll over-abrade the high points of a single large tool/mold while overlooking the low points.

My first thought is to use a purpose-made plastic polishing compound worked into a felt/stiff cotton Dremel polishing wheel; a nice double-duty cut&colour compound can give you an actual mirror polish with a single buffing pass for a soft material like bone or wood, resin ought to work similarly.
Bead blasting or some other gentle/non-cutting blasting medium would be my other pick, wicked fast and offers you the cleanest/most homogenous-looking finish by far- although I have no cabinet access right now so it's moot. If/when I start copper plating prints, though, shot-peening is apparently the way to go- offers a nice burnished surface finish, but also increases part strength significantly by adding uniform work-hardening across the entire part surface.

I haven't really thought about solvent polishing because I assumed it was impossible or at least impractical to do to resins at home, same vibratory concerns about the lack of control/targeting also hold i'd think .

I work in jewellery with 3d printed resin as our primary material we use to cast. If I was going to polish resin I'd hit it with some 3M radial wheels and then finish on a cotton buff with some plastic polishing compound. A felt buff might also work and give you a flatter finish but you'd have to do some tests.

Vibratory might work, but the mechanical action could also severely round edges. I've done some tests with magnetic tumblers but they are definitely too aggressive.

Ultimately, for us, it's much easier, more forgiving, and more manageable to finish the parts in metal so I've never really thought about polishing resin past 400 emery.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Are you electroplating or electroforming the copper shells directly onto the resin? Honestly I think some wet sanding up to 600/1200 and then hitting it with a cotton buff would work great and is likely your best bet.

Electroplating/forming doesn't normally require a tooth as long as the material to be plated can be plated. Electroplating/forming is the last step (in jewellery production) so making the piece perfect and polished has to happen first. Polishing lead alloys is definitely not a great idea!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I buy gallon jugs of "electronics cleaner" which is just iso/ipa. Get a 4 pack of that and never worry again!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

My post processing for resin prints I do almost every day for work:

Prints come out into my printers branded wash station (they stay on the build tray)

During the 10 min wash cycle in 99 iso I clean that vat without touching it, using a squeeze bottle like the ones tattoo artists use with the bent top

Prints come out and I hold them over a funnel and spray more iso on them into tiny crevices

At this point they're mostly done with washing, I stick them in warm water in an ultrasonic with soap in it because I have the ultrasonic and it gets all those tiny last bits of liquid resin off. For normal practice it doesn't make a huge difference but it can mean the difference between good and bad castings.

Print gets removed from build plate with plastic scraper

I cure the entire thing in my beefy curing unit still all together for one cycle of 3 mins

Cut all the pieces off, trim sprues etc.

Cure twice per side for another 3 mins each cycle

My system is overkill for non production stuff, but I cannot recommend enough a squeeze bottle for blasting resin off small recesses or in corners. The added pressure of a stream of iso can work wonders compared to the swishing or spinning motion of wash machines.

It also depends on resin! Some more liquid ones will wash easer, where the more sludgey ones might take more work.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This is the one-stop shop for the best way to get access to really good modelling software for cheap.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/eaa-solidworks-standard

Oh this is interesting.

How does the education version compare to the real thing? I've never used it because it seems very expensive, but this seems like a great way to get it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

The education version is pretty much full access to everything, but your drawings will have watermarks on them and if you get busted selling 3d models directly you can get into some trouble.

But if you're using it to make 3d models that you then export as STLs for 3d printing, there's pretty much gently caress-all in terms of tracing it for license violations as long as you're not dumb enough careless enough to post publicly about how you made the STL.

Plus, the EAA membership gives you lots of good deals on museum access and all kinds of other stuff, for when the pandemic times are over and that's an option again.

Cool! I'm in Canada so hopefully it still works but I'm going to test it out since it'll all just be personal use. Thanks for this.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Scarodactyl posted:

My dad got Rhino at the educational rate. I really need to learn it, f360 is extremely handy but also really annoying for the aforementioned reasons.

Rhino is what I use on a daily basis and if you're going to be using it for your business, there's a ton of material on jewellery specific modelling for it. Matrix is its own beast of course but standard rhino does a great job.

It's a bit annoying for applications like woodworking/machining projects though. Maybe I'm just using it poorly?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I just bought a prusa mk3s+ about a month ago as my first FDM printer, built it in a weekend, levelled in an hour or two, a couple kinks to work out with the first few test prints sticking, and it has been consistently pumping out prints almost every day since without issues.

My only recommendation from what I've read is getting a smooth PEI sheet along with your kit (that comes with a textured one). Apparently the smooth one works much better for PLA. My first few prints had some lifting issues, which have since been solved by giving both sides of the sheet a really good wash with dawn dish soap and water.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

If you go with a Prusa it seems to work well enough with just the textured sheet.

I am firmly in the category of "I want to print things, not have to gently caress around with my printer to get it working well" so I completely understand if you want the hobby to be 3D printing and not using a 3D printer to help out your other hobbies.

I wanted to reliably print stuff basically right away to make other hobbies easier/more organized and don't need a giant build plate (yet lol) so this is what I went with. So far so good!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Re cloth talk, I use microfiber cloths on my vats because they don't have an FEP layer or w.e, the layer the prints release from is permanent so it's the best lint free way to clean them perfectly for the next print. They get rotated from brand new/quite clean for cleaning pre print, to being the rag used to clean the vat post printing. Really gross ones go to a pile that gets washed and then used as shop rags.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

The benefit I could find is it's not made from oil byproducts, but I think it still takes hundreds of years to break down.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I think all this points to the best thing we can do with lovely prints and scraps and save them in a bin and reprocess it into filament if possible. Unfortunately it seems like those machines are expensive but I haven't done much research into them.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

thanks! i have a tool&die college degree but i haven’t actually done this kind of tooling since i graduated years ago, and never for an additive manufacturing process, so it’s a lot rockier than i expected. not that i mind, not beyond the material cost of flawed designs, anyways. this resin is sold out everywhere right now and it’s not clear when more will ship so i’m also being conservative wrt resin use- this die only uses ~25ml of resin, for example- but i suspect i can do some really lean designs for bigger parts using Hella Shells N Ribs.

also need to figure out a way to add a, what’s the term, a bigger casting... funnel? spout? b/c i could only fit a tiny one in on a mold that’s .25” thick. I have some casting putty in storage that i could use to build up said funnels as needed, but i’m not huge on using that in my home due to tbhe fine silica content in that stuff. might also make a printed combo mold clamp+ funnel i can drop over the top and whichll hold it together and contain the molten metal. alternately maybe print a coupler so i can stick a steel funnel over top? i think that’s the easiest + cheapest way to swing this for now. i don’t think i’ll reprint this mold but for
the next i think i’ll try that out, the coupler will be a ml or two of material.

i’ve actually already designed an injection molding three-part tool for mechanical keyboard key caps, but can’t really use it for anything yet, or given the thin cross-sections i doubt my eutectic alloys can fill the whole cavity without freezing. with a preheat and a forced casting method (steam, vaccuum, etc), though, maybe...

I've done small scale steam casting for jewellery parts and it works surprisingly well. Finicky, yes, but can be successful!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

csammis posted:

I’ve always wanted to wash my prints with a garden hose and cure them in a tanning bed!

Jokes on you, my curing unit already runs off of a tanning bed lamp!

I cannot imagine being able to print things that big with resin, crazy.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

That's mostly what I print (and I saw the note about how they used a coffee grinder on the salt they bought, which is hilarious). I figured I'd look at blast/polish media as an alternative whenever the local lovely hardware store (harbor freight) has a sale if I couldn't get regular old table salt to work properly after putting it through a random coffee grinder (could make for some hilarious reactions at the local grocery store asking for permission to use their grinder for this, too).

Honestly, there is a use-case for doing this at work to strengthen prints in PLA so they can mechanically stand up better to stuff and use it for tooling/fixtures that aren't exposed to PLA-melting temperatures later.

As a FDM novice, why would you do this instead of printing them in something like ABS or a PC blend?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

NewFatMike posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a cured resin comb? I need to fish some bits out from the Form 3 tray.

I pour mine through a paint strainer

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Yeah +1 to material curiosity. All my metal casting ladles that look like that are ceramic to resist very high temps haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

It looks like it prints pretty nicely too

EDIT: Lol I thought it was for FDM. Still cool though!