Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

helno posted:

I saw this the other day. I don't know what kind of machine it was printed on but the detail is incredible.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455808

16" wingspan 3d printed Grumman hellcat.

I just found out about 3D printing about a week ago and have been doing research into what type of machine I need to buy, pretty much I like the quality of stuff I see come out of shapeways (mostly because I can't get any quality pictures from any other makers) but I spoke with these guys: http://botmill.com/ And they said their finished print quality is really good, and will send me an example. I am just wondering if any of you guys have one of these botmill machines? The Axis or Glider? How is the quality print of them? Or has anyone heard about these machines? How do they stack up comparing end result prints in quality to other mendell knock offs? More or less I need a machine to do as good a print as the that hellcat. Do any of the cheaper 3D printers offer that kind of quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Zhentar posted:

At the moment, you can't buy a machine that can print that hellcat for less than $15,000. All of the hobbyist devices you see in this thread use plastic extrusion without any support material, which can't print serious overhangs like that model has.

overhangs?

I don't know the term for it, but what is it called when you can very clearly see the layers of material? Some machines print very very thick layers so it's very apparent.. Others don't. Some of the really expensive machines layers are very very very tiny as to almost be undetectable. What is that called?

I'm looking for something that can print small layers so I don't have to sand the poo poo out of everything I try to make. Detail doesn't have to be exactly hellcat quality, but are any of the cheap end models even remotely close to that quality? Thin layers etc?

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011
I'm down for one of those. Right now the resolution of repraps and such is what is holding me back from pulling the trigger on one. I have some cool concepts to print once this thing goes live!