Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artfulshrapnel
May 9, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

SketchUp is the free simple-object-maker I hear the most buzz about. If you use that, it's only a simple six-step process to export to STL. :v:

Okay, their process is a bit asinine. I use Sketchup for mechanical stuff like these, and my process is as follows:

Step 1: Make sure your model is clean and doesn't have any zero thickness walls sitting inside it. (i.e. make sure it isn't a durp model that is unprintable)

Step 2: Export in OBJ format, make sure it's set to triangulate faces.

Step 3: Open in Netfabb Studio Free, run the "repair" algorithms if it gives you an error warning, and save as an STL.

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU