Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

Get a Prusa i3 Mk2S. Reliable, easy to use, good customer support and big enough for most projects.

My pre-built Mk2S showed up last night. Plugged it in, ran the calibration, and started printing. So far I've just printed small stuff like benchy and the tree frog, but it's printing great.

SlayVus posted:

But it'll take 2 months before he'll receive either printer and he won't get the multi material upgrade until 2018.

They've cut the waiting time down for the assembled models to one month, and then about a week and a half shipping including customs. So far the wait's been entirely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
My prusa freaked out and completely forgot where the 4th auto-bed-leveling point was, ramming into the bed hard looking for it. A full xyz calibration seems to have solved my issue, but now I'm spending prints figuring out the right amount of first layer z offset.

Anyone have good tips for getting in the rough ballpark of first layer z settings? I seem to either get a round tube of plastic or a very squished one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Should the i3 mk2's bed make a rattling sound when doing fast fill movements? Mine's started doing it, and it's got me a little worried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruwM3CMad4

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I was having really bad rattling from the linear bearings under the print bed on my Prusa i3 MK2S. Talked with Prusa support, who suggested lubrication. Internet suggested using sewing machine lubricant, since it's pretty thin and designed to work in high-dust environments.

Bought some of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYCKTW2

I'm happy to report that a little applied directly to the bearings and a couple prints solved my rattling, and my print quality is back to where it was when I got the (assembled) printer.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Finished up my prusa MK2 to MK2.5 upgrade, for the $150-$200 you're going to spend on it, it's totally worth it. The bed alone makes getting stiffer prints off much easier, and the new hotend shroud + fan is way quieter.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

When did you order and how long did it take to come? It's definitely tempting although I'm not really having any issues with the PEI bed right now. I don't really notice the noise from the hotend fan, where I think my noise comes from is the stepper motors, is there a proven way to quiet those down?

I pre-ordered from Prusa when they first were announced, took me several months to get it, though I understand it's a shorter wait now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

My 1 week / <20 hours print time old Prusa MK3S gives me "THERMAL RUNAWAY" errors, twice in a row now.

Any idea what causes this, and what's Prusa's support like? Contacted them through their on-site form.

I've only got a MK2.5S, but right after I did the upgrade to S I discovered that the new hotend fan shroud was so good at cooling that on large flat PLA prints at 100% fan speed the hotend couldn't keep up with all the reflected cool air. I turned on the dynamic cooling option and set the low speed to 75%, high and bridging speed to 100% and have had no issues since.