Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

techknight posted:

Pretty tight. If there's any give you get lopsided prints and the belt won't heat evenly, either. It's kind of a pain to fix later so mine is running beltless right now, haha.

Thanks for answering this, I finished my ABP last week and was pretty scared I was going to break the drat thing getting the rollers in place. Unfortunately after finishing my Thing-o-Matic and powering it up for the first time the Arduino Mega popped and released it's magic blue smoke. New ToM Motherboard comes Friday, then we'll see if my tight belt actually turns.

Also ABP related, is the belt supposed to go under the nozzle wiper in the right hand corner? It seems like the included belts are too wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

Cuddlebottom posted:

I ended up sticking the belt under the nozzle, since it was loose enough anyways. I was also worried about the belt tightness when I built it (I cracked the wood a little) but the motor worked fine after I tightened the gear screws. However, once my belt started to warp I gave up, unplugged the ABP motor and taped the whole belt flat with kapton tape.

Are you using the nozzle wiper then? I'm not sure what setting I missed but my nozzle never gets wiped. The print head starts over the nozzle wiper during warm up but then it just goes straight to the start of the box outline for my raft without wiping off the plastic boogers. I've been grabbing them with tweezers since I'm not sure what I missed, is there a check box somewhere to make sure it wipes before it starts building the raft?

Edit: For what it's worth here's my 5th print using my Thing-o-Matic, ABP and MK6 Stepstruder. I'm really happy with the print quality considering I'm done literally no calibration to it yet.

ChrisDKK fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2011

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

I printed gift tags/labels too, they've been pretty well received so far.

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

Mathhole posted:

I just ordered my first self-designed piece from Shapeways last week. A few weeks ago I received my sample materials thingy, and it filled my mind with ideas.

My creation (though I'm not part of the physical creation process, am I?) is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If I didn't screw up and make things too close together, it should have rotating gears, etc.

Making stuff exact in Google Sketchup is a bit of a pain.

I'll post pictures soon.

You know you can key in dimensions after you draw something in Sketchup right? Draw a line, then type in 35mm or 1" and it will resize. This helped me a lot when I first started using Sketchup.

These videos (which I think were made by one of the Sketchup developers) are also really handy.
http://www.aidanchopra.com/

ChrisDKK
Jul 18, 2002

techknight posted:

What ChrisDKK said, but also, have you tried using OpenSCAD?

Are there any better tutorials than the ones floating around the Makerbot blog? I've tried to get into OpenSCAD a couple times but quit due to poor documentation.