Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I want to mount a few of these extruder heads to my giant gantry CNC mill. Which ones should I be looking at for a "drop in" type of solution to replace my Hitachi router? I assume I'll need to add another axis to control the extruder? I'm running the Mach3 controller on Windows, am I going to need to dual boot to EMC2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Videodrome posted:

I've never used Rhino, but I will try out the demo this weekend. While I'm sure it is great for the designer, the apparent complexity (and $1000 price tag) defeat the main purpose I was promoting OpenSCAD.

PM me and I can hook you up with a Rhino reseller that might be able to offer a discount. It won't be all that much but it'll save you a little bit.
Another good option with this stuff is to take a class at a local community college so you get a student ID then can buy student software that's typically way cheaper. A good rule of thumb is that any software you can "make money with" like CAD/CAM or other design software is going to be ruinously expensive but usually student versions are available for college classes.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I've seen this sort of debate before. Truth is, blueprints if reasonably priced are going to be 1/20th of the price of building a good machine. This guy is throwing away his weekends, vacation days and everything else on this, and probably using design software that's really drat expensive too. There's nothing wrong with asking for $100 or less for his time and effort, and it's a good motivator to keep him working hard. Even the Free Software Foundation encourages projects to sell their software, but obviously with "free" software they can just be copied so projects generally have to figure out a value added way to do it or just guilt the community into paying.

The best plan is probably to open source older versions of the machine designs but keep the most recent ones locked away pending some very reasonable fees.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

techknight posted:

I just did these replacement analog sticks on my MakerBot (and wrote a post about them) but I was thinking of trying them on Ponoko to make them smoother:

Is it possible to sand ABS or whatever plastic you're using? What about using it as a positive for a mold? A molded version might come out way cleaner.