Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
AARGH!! Finally finished assembling my Makerbot and the DC motor for the extruder is DOA. I am so goddamn excited about test driving this thing I can barely stand it. Now it'll be probably another week for them to RMA a new motor to me. I tried looking for a sub motor from an RC car/plane hobby shop, but no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

So, does anyone here have the relay board kit? And if so, does it rattle when you shake it? My extruder stopped heating from the relay board, and I'm trying to see if a relay has crapped out.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

So far the Mk5 seems to be working well for me. I never used the Mk4, so I can;t provide a comparison, but as long as all the other stuff is working, it feeds beautifully. So far my problems have been more electrical. First, some of the outputs on my extreuder controller stopped working(0 volts). Then, when I rearanged the wiring, and was getting the juice to the extruder motor, it still wouldn't work until I set up a relay system between it and the controller. Then i had some crazy short going on with the thermistor, so the temp always read 255 degrees, and wouldn't heat. So, that's just some of the excitement potentially waiting for you.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Well, I think I finally got all the kinks worked out of my Makerbot, and I've pulled off a 4 hour print with no problems. Now I just need to sell the Reprap Mendel that I started and then became totally overwhelmed by. Anyone have an opinion on if I should try and sell it partially assembled(main vertexes and threaded rod structure) or take it apart?

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Take it apart & sell it as a kit. Where are you?

drat I was hoping you no one would say that. It was a big enough pain in the rear end putting it together without having to disassemble. And Portland, OR.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

So, I have a Cupcake Ultimate with a Mk5. I've been successfully printing with ABS for weeks now, and decided to try my hand with PLA. I'm trying to print in the 185-190 range, and adjusted temps in RepG accordingly, but whenever I go to build, it ramps up the temp to 220. Am I missing a temp setting somewhere? Or some sort of cached setting I need to clear? Also, I can't seem to find the temp settings for the ABP either. I've Googled and searched the forums, but apparently my search terms are to generic, and I can't find the info I need. Anyone have suggestions?

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

The temperature of the raft is set separately from the rest of the printing - maybe that's what's happening? Or maybe the "warm up and test extrusion" gcode that gets pasted in is doing the 220C?

Yup, that was totally it. Had to modify the start.gcode. After printing some busings and a few other parts though, I can honestly say that I do NOT like PLA over ABS. I was all excited about it not curling and being more eco friendly and whatnot, but the cooling time, brittleness, and increase chance of jamming just makes it an unfair trade.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

Ah, how about that. Glad I could help.

Thanks for the heads up about PLA. I've never really heard from anyone who actually used it and what they thought about it. All I knew is that it could be more troublesome because when it "melts" it more or less state-changes straight from solid to liquid, not a "gel" in between like ABS.

How does that measure up to what you found in actually using it?

Well, first of all, yes, it does smell like maple syrup, and is far more appealing than the ABS fumes. But PLA also has a more limited "working" temp, where it goes from an extrusion to pure liquid, and basically becomes useless. That's what I was getting when I hadn't adjusted my start.gcode temps correctly. ABS seems to have a larger spectrum of temp where it can be used. I did a few calibration cubes for the PLA after I made the correct adjustments, and I seemed to have more sag/collapse than I did with the ABS. Seems to be a combination of a more restrictive melting zone and a slower cooling time, at least that's my hypothesis. That was corroborated when I tried to remove prints from the printer. The ABS prints I could let sit for 15 seconds and then remove without harm, but the PLA took substantially longer before they could be removed without my fingers deforming them with minimal pressure.

Also, yes, the PLA does look more crystalline. If you want that kind of feature you will probably never get it with ABS.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Dolphin posted:

Boy is that company going to feel silly for having spent a million on that printer in five years.

I was thinking the same thing with the one my company has. It was a half million for the printer, and the powder used for printing is thousands of dollars for a quart or something insane. What will be the tipping point for hobby vs commercial printers will be getting hobby printers with multiple print heads that include a disolvable support material, and options for rigid or flexible structural material. And Makerbot already sells a water soluble material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I just watched the video on his site for the first time, and holy gently caress BALLS that was amazing. I'm dying to know what the resin is and how much it would cost, as everything I've seen in light curing resins is expensive.