Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You may be able to find SketchUp plugins for some of the more advanced features. Google suggests there is one for parametric modeling.

The 3D printing stuff is pretty cool, but I'm finding myself more excited by Ponoko's laser cutting. Finally, I can make myself an attractive breadbox that's big enough to fit a loaf of bread and hot dog buns at the same time! And a make-up organizer for my GF that's actually the right size for her make-up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cuddlebottom posted:

I also can't tell if they actually trademarked "StepStruder" or are being sarcastic.

Well, they haven't registered it with the USPTO, so they're being sarcastic.

So what does the stepper motor and 1.75mm filament actually mean? Better resolution, I assume? I'm not too impressed by MakerBot's marketing - the cheapest kit now available costs double what's listed in the op (although I understand that what somewhat discounted to clear out old stock), and I've not seen any description of the differences that are particularly meaningful to someone who's not already familiar with this stuff. It seems like they're only interested in selling upgrades to existing users.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cuddlebottom posted:

Apparently it's back up: http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/21/3d-printings-first-c.html

Summary for the lazy: it's back up because the guy dropped the issue. He likely had a legitimate copyright claim; while he cannot lay claim to the concept of the Penrose Triangle, he did create a 3D representation of it, and that work is copyrightable.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Disclaimer: IANAL.

Cakefool posted:

So you can copyright anything you can print?

No, not even close. However, things that are copyrightable include "pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works", and "architectural works". I would say this falls pretty clearly into 'sculptural', so it can be protected by copyright.

Ashcans/Midjack: The instructions for printing it are absolutely copyrightable, but that doesn't present any protection for someone else coming up with their own, original instructions. The ease of doing so is not relevant, so far as I know. It wouldn't matter here, since neither of the infringing works copied those instructions.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

flick3r posted:

More or less I need a machine to do as good a print as the that hellcat. Do any of the cheaper 3D printers offer that kind of quality?

At the moment, you can't buy a machine that can print that hellcat for less than $15,000. All of the hobbyist devices you see in this thread use plastic extrusion without any support material, which can't print serious overhangs like that model has.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you just want a smooth surface, that can be achieved easily enough with the cheap printers using acetone rather than sanding everything.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ponoko has some EU based laser cutting services. But it looks like their 3D printings is just USA based.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ImperialGuard posted:

So I just looked up prices on both Shapeways and Ponoko for making a coin holder, and the prices just seemed absolutely exorbitant. I wanna do a comparison: how much would it cost you to print this using ABS?

You could cut the prices substantially by hollowing out most of the middle.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Shapeways doesn't and I'm not sure if Ponoko would. Infill is mostly an FDM concept, it wouldn't work well with SLS because the powder would be trapped inside.

Shapeways actually checks hollow structures for holes that the powder can drain out of. If you don't have a drain hole, then they charge you for a solid structure anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Don't forget Tinker CAD (web based, free)

If he thinks Sketchup isn't powerful enough, Tinker CAD is definitely not going to be satisfasctory. If you think Sketchup is too complex and difficult to use, then Tinker CAD is awesome.