Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Guitarchitect posted:

this is awesome. I wonder how well it works with thinner materials... oh if only I had the disposable income

Yeah, would a CNC router be useful for cutting fabric? If I could somehow automate cutting patterns out of fabric, my sewing production time would get cut in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

DarkHorse posted:

I know for a fact that people use something like this in industry for cutting carbon fiber and fiberglass, but I don't think it's a router. Rotating bits and tools would get bound up in fabric, and there's just no way to keep it all taut enough to avoid it without damaging the material. You'd have to find some custom code that would account for blade direction, and you might need to learn funky tricks to deal with right angles.

So, I'm sure there's something out there, but I don't have the chops to find it on google. The ones I know about are for industrial use of exotic materials where price isn't usually a concern and have expensive programs dedicated to dealing with fabric pattern cutting. v:shobon:v

Thanks for the reply! I just saw that there is a CNC mill thread going through DIY and repeated my question in there to get any other insight.

Maybe the answer will involve LASERS and I can finally have an excuse to get all Science Fiction with my sewing.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Has anyone heard anything about the mUVe 1?

http://www.muve3d.net/press/product/muve-1-3d-printer/

I'm looking for something that will let me get some prototypes in my hands quickly before sending my 3D files off to a production house like Shapeways.

I don't care about high resolution as much as I care about being able to just go "push button, make thing". It's my understanding that extruder type machines still require a bit of love and attention and that resin-based machines are a little more hands-off, if not more expensive?

Am I wrong to assume this? Suggestions?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

MickRaider posted:

Flashforge Creator seems to be a good entry level printer. Basically the replicator 1 with dual extruders.

Besides that the Ultimaker 2 looks awesome, though it comes at a higher premium

The Robo3D is good for high volume to cost ratio, but requires a good technician to keep running

The printrbot simple metal is a great low cost printer but you'e limited on how much you can upgrade on it. The printrbot plus is basically a more rigidized version of the Robo3D without a lid.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but those are the printers I would look at were I buying a new one. Stay clear of Makerbots, their quality is very questionable on the Gen 5's

Alternative to the flashforge, monoprice just put out their own branded flashforge version as well.

I'm interested why the Makergear M2 isn't in this list. I have been researching good "my first printer"s and all signs seem to be pointing to the M2 as my impending purchase. The customer support and forums both seem to be spectacular and all the reviews say it's one of the easiest/more reliable printers out there.

Thoughts?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Duckbill posted:

Has anyone seen this Kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/structur3d/discov3ry-extruder-do-more-than-ever-with-your-3d

Twitter's all over the idea of printing with Nutella, but if it works it looks like it could have a lot of really interesting applications, being able to use pastes rather than filament. They do say that paste extruders have been tried before, I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether theirs is better.

It is pretty neat. For making flexible products though, I'd probably stick with a regular 3D printer, an acetone bath/some sanding+finishing, and then making a mold. Probably get a nicer final product that way.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Is there anything particularly worrisome about that CraftBot printer?

The specs seem pretty solid and it doesn't look like it would be too terrible for a first printer.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Kazy posted:

:siren: Do not buy a Kickstarter Printer as your first 3D printer :siren:

It's been discussed many times in the thread, but you get almost no support community, and that's even if they don't just run off with the money without sending you anything. When's the last time you saw a successful Indiegogo project, even? Also Flexible Funding = they have no idea what they are doing.

Not to mention you'll be out a huge sum of money and it'll be months if not years before you see a product. Hell, I backed a router on Kickstarter over a year ago, with a predicted ship date of September 2013, and they're only now starting to ship the initial units.

Totally understand your concerns, as I've been burned by some Kickstarters in the past.

CraftBot seems to already have production going though, according to their photo updates on the IndieGogo page. They also aren't Flexible Funding, they're Fixed. Supposedly they are on track to ship units as early as August.

I'm more curious about problems with the design or specs.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Depends posted:

An update: I sent them a recommendation for the M2 but was told that they were going with a CubePro instead because it was "A lot cooler looking and this M2 just looks too basic"
So there you go.
:psypop:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Hadlock posted:

Is there a name for this style of "bent wire" style design, or design process for creating something like this?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2721285/iphone-6-controller-case.html

This just looks like extruding a shape along a path, but to echo everyone else: ew.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Any chance someone could tell me what would cause an issue like this on a print? I'm completely new to this whole scene and this is actually my very first print.

It's PLA with a heated bed. Looks like this is where the extruder started each new layer?

Is this just a side effect of FDM style printing in its current state or can I do something to minimize this effect in my prints?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Obsurveyor posted:

Just be aware, this won't solve the problem if the nozzle is oozing and could get worse, depending on how far the move is to the random spot.

Is it normal for the head to just ooze filament once it is warmed up even though it is not actively extruding? If not, then this might be an oozing problem.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
I have a question about replacing the stock bed on my machine.

The original bed is cold rolled steel and as such, isn't completely flat. I've obtained a nice flat sheet of borosilicate glass and am prepping it for use.

The steel bed is 3mm thick and the glass bed is 3.25mm thick.

I've read that when you replace the bed with something thicker that you should adjust the z-stop or something like that? Is this really necessary if I go through the leveling process and there is plenty of clearance with the glass bed after leveling?

What are the chances of this biting me in the rear end somewhere along the line? What would the point of adjusting z properties be if everything still fits almost as it did before?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Aurium posted:

Get a pair of calipers, measure. Cut off that much of the model, and print the rest. I've done it a few times and have been satisfied with the results.

How do you go about joining the two halves?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Just received my Ultimaker 2 today and of course http://software.ultimaker.com/ is down and I can't download Cura.

Anyone have the latest version for Mac they could send me? I'll take the Windows version if nobody has the Mac download.

Edit: Looks like after 12 hours or so, they're back up. I'm an impatient little butt.

nolen fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 11, 2015

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
What's the current fan favorite delta printer that I could build myself over a weekend?

I'm looking at sub-$1000 if possible and I have access to a laser cutter and my UM2 for any machined parts.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
The Rostock Max v2 is pretty nice for the price point.

I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper that would let me print out a decent set of parts and maybe utilize this $200 Home Depot gift card hahaha.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

deimos posted:

Why does it have to be a delta?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a delta printer. I just already have a cartesian and was considering something different to build for my girlfriend. I'm open to suggestions!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A local science center here did an evening class where we assembled one of these printers.

It went about as well as you would expect. I got a "working" printer out of the deal, but it's currently in pieces as I rebuild it into a h-bot using an extruded aluminum fame.

Of course, it's been in pieces for 6 months, because the printed parts I ordered to rebuild it are all out of spec, and I need to get down to my makerspace and print replacement parts, but still.

Oh, also, it came with a Geeetech printrboard clone, which crapped out.

Sup "rebuilding a One/TwoUp into the 3uP" buddy. I've been meaning to print out the remaining parts on my Ultimaker 2 but it's having weird extrusion problems and I just can't be arsed to fiddle with it right now.

Although mine came with a RAMPS board, which was a huge surprise.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
So I've finally found time to work on my Ultimaker 2's extrusion problem.

I've performed multiple atomic pulls, the last two of which came out clean, and leveled the bed again as well. Nothing seems to help and the filament just seems to come out verrrry slow or not at all.

I recorded a crappy video that hopefully shows what I'm experiencing if anyone in here might have some insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWD9_Ke24k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

nolen posted:

So I've finally found time to work on my Ultimaker 2's extrusion problem.

I've performed multiple atomic pulls, the last two of which came out clean, and leveled the bed again as well. Nothing seems to help and the filament just seems to come out verrrry slow or not at all.

I recorded a crappy video that hopefully shows what I'm experiencing if anyone in here might have some insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWD9_Ke24k

Anybody have an idea about this before I open a ticket with Ultimaker Support?