Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

krushgroove posted:

OK I guess before I start trying to save up to buy various bits and pieces I should make sure that the RepRap (the only thing I've priced up so far) isn't going to be outmoded or obsolete in the next couple of years. Can anyone tell me how long has the current version been out, and are the electronics due for an upgrade soon?

And then I guess the next step is learning a 3D program - can these take input from any of the programs out there?

Well that's still cool - I would probably start with ABS doodads and eventually progress to trying lost-wax at some point, just to try it out, so I making metal items could be done that way, so actually printing metal things doesn't need to take place.

The thing is that if you've built it yourself, I'd imagine that future upgrades would be as simple as a new board. FDM is old technology, and what you're doing is playing catch up with $30000 machines right now.

FDM is really the simplest possible RP technique (it is like milling.... but in reverse!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Mirconium posted:

Are there any printers that work with stuff that would be highly heat resistant? I was wondering how possible it is to print high quality experimental rocket nozzles and such. I'm guessing clay won't be functional due to air/moisture bubbles, so are there some terminator-grade plastics that are cureable to be heat resistant?

I work with 3d Systems InVision and Projet machines, and I know that for short run testing our parts are pretty good (it'll last a short time in a test setting, and that's enough to gather data.)

Really, though, if you want to go that route (which verges on rapid manufacturing,) I recommend getting into CNC mills.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Claes Oldenburger posted:

The way i see it, it's very very hard to get precision AND speed at the same time. he said each layer has to harden for about 4 seconds...and each layer can be 0.05mm thin so it'll still be quite a while :P

50 micron layers for a home machine is not bad. I wonder what his accuracy over his X/Y travel is?