Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
The company I work for as a product designer has 2 different 3d printers that I'm lucky enough to be one of only 4 people that get to use it - we've got a Z-Corp powder based (color!) 3d printer, and we just recently got an Objet that prints in plastic (rigid or flexible). I'm totally spoiled as a designer to get to design something in 3d and then print out several iterations of it in a matter of a few hours. Here's my latest print from the Z-Corp printer:

Click here for the full 720x720 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

how long does it take to print something like that shark thing? looks to be about 6 cubic inches

It's about 3 inches long and 2 inches tall; it took about 3 hours to print 4 of them together.

Another nice thing about the Z-corp printer is that the cleanup after printing is pretty easy - you just brush/blow off the support powder and it gets recycled into the hopper for the next print. Then you dip the model in a superglue-like solution to finish it (the powder absorbs the glue). You don't end up with a super smooth surface finish without the usual elbow grease, but you end up with a pretty nice/easy model with very little effort.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Any thoughts on the printer Monoprice is rolling out?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...rinter_preorder

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I use this stuff on 3d prints at work, and it's worked pretty well for me. Really easy to mix and apply, and only like 15 minutes dry time if you bake it:

http://www.amazon.com/Filabot-XTC24-XTC-3D-Performance-Coating/dp/B00TS7TYXA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1445882549&sr=8-10&keywords=3d+print

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

It took a full year of writing up proposals to convince all the high-ups it'll be worth it, but it looks like my company is going to upgrade to a Stratasys Connex3! I'm super excited to be able to print in multiple colors and blended materials. Still debating what to model up for the maiden print on it (we should be getting it in the next couple weeks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I finally bit the bullet and picked up an Ender 3 Pro - figured it could me useful during the apocalypse. Even though I’ve had access to a super expensive polyjet printer at work for years, I’m super impressed with the results I’m already getting with this thing.
I DO have a little bit of a dip in the center of my bed; is it super difficult to set up mesh leveling? Or should I just spend $20 on a glass bed?
Also, any recos on fun filament to try out? I’m curious about the glow in the dark stuff, the rainbow pla, wood, silk matallic...