Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

(A Target Store, 2070)

:j: Welcome to Target! What I can get for you?
:v: I want the Keurig X5 coffee maker, please.
:j: Ok, what colors for the case?
:v: Pantone 18-1762 TPX for the body and 19-4007 TCX for the trim.
:j: Nice color choice! I love hibiscus. Are there any modifications listed you'd like?
:v: Higher capacity reservoir. Oh, and the Wireless-V1 compatibility system and heuristical morning coffee timer. What the heck, I'll take the acoustic damping as well, that's only an extra $3.
:j: Ok! That's $89.99, it'll be printed for you in about ten minutes. MoneyPac or Credit?

I'm hoping this technology will lead to something like this in the future, because it will be cool as hell.
It's going to be great for little stuff around the house. Break a clip that holds the shelf on your refrigerator door? $3 for a one-time-print file or $5 for 3. Snap the battery door off your camera? print a new one and swap in the hinge and contact from the old one for a a few bucks. Need a cell phone belt clip (not that you should be wearing your cell phone on your belt in the first place)? no need to go down to the store, just decide whether you want to spend $5 on an OEM model or take a chance with the free one and hope it doesn't print an 8" dildo instead. Actually want an 8" dildo? print it instead of worrying about how discreet the packaging really is. The possibilities are limitless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm debating 3D print policy with a coworker. Our new lab has two Lulzbot Taz 6 printers, which is an upgrade from the old Lulzbot Mini we had. He was told by a faculty member that we can't have them powered on overnight. I've run a number of 8 hour prints with no problems and am saying that overnight prints should be OK as long as a staff member checks that there's enough filament, the gcode is compiled with the the right settings for the filament, and the print is going well for the first hour or two. Am I stupid to say that overnight printing will be safe?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lab attendant "We're almost out of yellow filament"
Me:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As poo poo has hit the fan, I have an idea for a 3D print project but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done something applicable. I'm working on a generic front facemask, and would like to combine that with a point cloud generated by a Kinect taking a 3D photo of an individual's face to produce a custom fitted facemask. filtration will be through a modular attachment that allows either a sliced up N95 mask or MERV17+ HVAC filter to produce a custom fitted N99 mask contoured to the person's face. Is there any free/open souurce software out there that can do this?