Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

Nothing like a good cup of graphite in the morning
Dearest Goons, I am at an impasse.
http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/3-d-printing-cookie-cutters/
After seeing this article on the success of MLP cookie cutters, I know that there is a serious hole in the costume community that I'd like to help with. I've been doing Cosplay for the past 10 years or so, and while sewing is great, I have much more fun making props and accessories.

Having spent most of my Christmas vacation researching 3d printers, I'm now between the Solidoodle v3 or the Makerbot Replicator, either v1 or v2.

My question is this- do I go the entry level route with the Solidoodle, with its 8-10 week lead time and lower price. Or- do I make a more hefty investment with the Replicator which appears to be easier to use and get going. And at that point, should I worry about the humidity(living in San Francisco) and go with the V2 and just loose on the lack of ABS support.

I'd like something that's reasonably fast, can do a good amount of detail, and doesn't require a massive amount of electronic know how to maintain. Any input would be much appreciated!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

foosel posted:

Given these requirements, why have you excluded the Ultimaker from your options? It certainly is fast, has a great resolution and build volume and the electronics come preassembled...
I had been seriously considering the Ultimaker but I'm not aware of a US distributor so the assembled kit with shipping is more than the Replicator 2- at $2,380. Euro and shipping is killer! I'd have to get a kit for $1700 and then venture into sealing/painting the wooden body to avoid moisture issues from living in a fairly humid environment.

It looks like a fantastic machine, I just want something with as few headaches as possible. And the option of the Makerbot service plan is nice. It might not be worth the $$ but it gives me peace of mind that I won't have to stress over any dumb beginners mistake I might make. I'm going for easy here! And hopefully my items are wildly successful and I can use my profits for a Rep 2x whenever it comes out.

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

After months of deliberation, I finally ordered my Replicator 2 on Feb 22nd after my lovely tax return came in. Since it was 6 weeks out, I started ordering PLA and other misc supplies for crafting my costume props and trinkets. (By the way, any recommendation for PLA primers/finishers?)

Lo and behold, last Thursday I received a shipping notification from Makerbot NYC. Glad I already have 5 spools, 3 commissioned 3D objects(thank you durpadurp), and a metal spatula at home 'cause the Replicator is getting here this Friday.

I think I've done enough research to prepare myself for the inevitable headache from setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting oh god why x happening. Either way, I'm exceedingly excited to join your ranks and already have a huge number of friends lining up to have me print things out for them.

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

Hi guys!
My friend and I have an idea to make a community website where people with 3D printers can take jobs and make money.
Would this be something ya'll might be interested in? And how much would you need to be paid before thinking about accepting the job?

We started thinking about this because I've had a number of people approach me via Etsy for either large projects I can't take, or for things they need ASAP. This way you could outsource a large project to multiple people or get something printed near by and pick it up same day.

I just wanted to get input on this before we do anything further and I value your opinions.

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

After looking into those sites, it seems like the niche has been filled. We started out wanting to make an entire community website for design and local fulfillment, but its way too much to tackle at once with only 2 people and no multimillion dollar backing.

We're going to put everything on hold for a while and see where all these sites go--and possible use our domain for getting a more selective group of designers and 3D printers together that have been vetted to be fantastic at what they do--for the more business/professional oriented projects.

I had to make 160 anatomical hearts on my Replicator 2, and would have loved to had a 2nd one operated by someone I trusted to do good work churning away to speed up the order.