Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

helopticor posted:

Thanks Doc Hawkins and techknight for your other suggestions, but OpenSCAD, which Videodrome mentioned, was exactly what I was looking for. I just wrote down coordinates of vertices and calculated which triples of vertices correspond to triangle and then I got my STL file which I can then send to the people with the Makerbot.

I just did my own first OpenSCAD project on Saturday - it's so easy! I'm going to write a post on the Ponoko blog about it tomorrow. I was totally intimidated by the source files I'd downloaded from other people on Thingiverse but you really do just start with a simple couple of shapes and build up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Ugg boots posted:

Are the three printing services listed in the OP (ShapeWays, Ponoko, The Game Crafter) still the main 3d printing services to check out?

i.materialize is the third main 3D-printing-and-more-on-demand service. They do some serious poo poo. They 3D printed The Thinker to help repair one of the statues that was stolen and hacked to pieces for scrap: http://i.materialise.com/blog/entry/3d-printing-rodins-thinker

(The Game Crafter doesn't really count, it's just neat.)

I recommend Ponoko by default just because I write for their blog, but I haven't actually printed anything with any on-demand service yet. I just did these replacement analog sticks on my MakerBot (and wrote a post about them) but I was thinking of trying them on Ponoko to make them smoother:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Twerpling posted:

I finally got the new rev of my construct-o-tron built:

IMAGE REMOVED

Right now it extrudes chocolate. When the head mechanism I designed gets here from the machinist, it will extrude 5 other materials simultaneously. Granted, chocolate and ABS don't really go together, but I have some plans. Devious plans.

Do you have some videos or a webpage or anything for this? It looks and sounds awesome.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 22, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Bre Pettis was on Colbert tonight to show off the MakerBot. Thingiverse is now extremely slow but there are many amusing abuses of the 3D scan they did of Stephen Colbert's head: http://www.thingiverse.com.nyud.net/thing:9104/variations

Edit:
I think this is my favourite one so far:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

There's an IndieGoGo project (like Kickstarter) up right now for sub-$500 Huxley RepRap kits by eMAKER: http://www.indiegogo.com/eMAKER-Huxley-3D-printer-kits

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Finished building and troubleshooting my Z-extender kit this morning:

The Z-stage can now move up to 194mm! Here's my first tall test print, a 185mm beer bottle:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Just wanted to share a really long print (about 35 hours!) that I finished yesterday:

It's the Bathtub U-Boat from here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6432

The red bits are a stand that I made in Blender: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10346

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Videodrome posted:

I've been eying that model since it was posted. I'm glad to see someone built it. How firmly do the sections hold together? They don't look exactly flush to one another.

Yeah, they hold together well but I'm going to need a dremel to shave down the connectors enough to get the pieces flush. Some of the other finished examples look completely flush, but I'm not sure whether that's due to post-processing or whether they had a stepper-based extruder or what.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Just finished off the life-size Sword of Omens:

I don't know that Thundercats was anyone's favourite cartoon as a kid, but it is a nice project for the MakerBot. :)

Also, Junior Veloso's resin-based 3D printer will apparently be released this year.. Really, really gotta get me one of these:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Wow. MakerBot got a $10M investment today: http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2011/08/23/all-star-lineup-invests-in-makerbot/

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Same Great Paste posted:

Anyone with a printer, talent, and boredom feel like doing a stupid commission? I'd really like a sugar-cookie cutter that's dog-bone shaped and stamps "Scooby Snack" onto the top. To not poo poo up the thread, please PM me. (Willing to pay actual money. I understand that this costs your time, mental energy, materials, machine wear and tear, shipping/handling, etc...).

That might be a fun project. I should warn you though, I don't think that you'll get that much text in the cookie cutter.

The letters would need to be really thick and widely-spaced to come out legibly, not just because of hobbyist printer quality, but also because you want there to be a legible impression made into some dough.

If you're willing to forego the text entirely, there's a Win/Mac/Linux app specifically for making cookie cutters for 3D printing: http://www.local-guru.net/blog/pages/cookiecutter-editor

But if the project is unappealing without the text, you'll likely pay simply for the design and then upload the file to Ponoko or Shapeways where the design will be professionally 3D printed (in metal if you like) on-demand.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Haha, I was just browsing thingiverse and saw this! Great job!

Edit: What did you print on, btw?

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 26, 2011

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

Is it wrong that I want to get a 3D MRI of my own brain, and then have it made out of plastic, to scale?

That sounds perfectly normal to me! Check out this MRI 3D model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:822

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Holy crap, I'd never heard of this multi-material printer by Objet before:

http://www.objetblog.com/2011/08/18/check-out-our-3d-printed-toddler-with-visible-internal-bone-structure/

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Finished my copy of Bioluminescence's Deus Ex HR candelabra design:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Big freakin' news: MakerBot is about to release a new dual-head extruder for multiple colours or materials in a single print. Holy poo poo.

That means you can use water-soluble support material to print complex stuff with overhangs and then wash it away from the final object.

From http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/06/15/technology/personaltech/20110915-BASICS.html?src=tp

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Ahh, sounds quite a bit more experimental than I was hoping. :(

Not sad about 3mm going away, people keeping that and 1.75mm filament in stock was never going to last.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

But for support structure? Isn't that really a software thing? Get "snip-offable" automatic support structures going first, then worry about loving making them water-soluble or whatever the hell with the second extruder.

Well, ReplicatorG actually does this if you turn on "exterior support" during skeining, but the problem with same-material support is that it's a pain to remove: (Even when you set it really thin.)

(click for huge)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

I wanted to try printing this today http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11636 to try it out.

But opening the .STL files in ReplicatorG results in a tiny (as in, microscopic) model! I have no idea why this is, but clearly I need to scale up by some amount.

Sometimes people save their models in inches instead of millimetres by mistake (or their software does it by default).

Just click the inches->mm button on the Scale screen of RepG and it will auto-scale by the right amount:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Hillridge posted:

I know this field is rapidly evolving, but if you had to get a printer today that you felt had the best performance/price point, what would your top choice be? I'm completely open to kits that require assembly.

I would look at the Thingomatic, Ultimaker, and Mosaic. They have differences, but all are quite capable and offer some amount of official support during and after your build.

At the moment it would be a tough choice for me between the dual extruder support on the ToM and experimental extra-tall versions of the Ultimaker or Mosaic.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I upgraded to the latest ReplicatorG (which I avoid because I have to re-tweak all the customizing I did in the last one and am not determined enough to figure out how to make my settings portable) to try this feature out!

Wow, that's.. weird. Maybe try turning on interior support too?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also, sadly despite blowing hot air into the build area and insulating it with foam (so it remained nice and toasty - but not HOT - inside) my last tests STILL show signs of lifting and curling (and therefore distortion and added stress on the print nozzle) during tall prints. I'm out of ideas so I guess I'll just shrug my shoulders on that one for now.

Have you played with the height of the nozzle at start? You can set it low and really mash that bottom layer into the surface to get some good stick.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Would be nice if eventually down the line you get a home plastic recycler to chuck in all the scraps, bits, misprints, unused prints and packaging into, then have it squeeze out a new spool of plastic, ready to go.

From what I understand, the conditions necessary to recycle and re-extrude ABS at an accurate 1.75mm is not practical/safe outside of industrial settings.

I could see having a bin for commercial composting of PLA, though.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

I really like the idea of a 3d printer and will prob be getting one in the not too distant future (qualifing as a doctor in ~6months). In the mean time what would people suggest as the best way of getting parts i want for small projects printed. Join a hackerspace? there's one in London with a makerbot or are there websites where people print stuff for you?

Yep, Ponoko and Shapeways like SynthOrange says, but you should definitely still check out your local hackerspace.

Some advice: I'm not assuming that you would do this, but don't just walk in demanding that someone print your stuff. Check out an open house night, bring some beer, hang out, get to know people, etc.

We've had that happen at our space before, where a new person insists on using the laser cutter ASAP without wanting to be part of the community, and that's not really our thing.

For the on-demand stuff, I just got my first order from Ponoko yesterday. I make Space Invader plugs for stretched earlobes on my MakerBot but now I'd like to sell some original designs that don't violate copyright:

On the left is done in two pieces in red ABS (one for the invader, one for the plug, then fastened together). On the right is a single multi-colour piece in ZCorp's proprietary ceramic powder.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Videodrome posted:

Also, it looks like the Automated Build Platform was a pretty big failure. Makerbot isn't even including it in the ToM kit anymore, though you can still buy it separately, but the price has been cut in half.

I think that the normal kit still comes with it but that the custom pre-assembled one only has the non-automated one.

The ABP belt never worked right for me, so mine is just a plain HBP now.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

loving hell, I have something to print and for some reason my machine has just decided to up and stop extruding anywhere from 30s to 5mins into a print. Spent all morning dicking around with this bastard, resets and reboots and re-priming extruder all to no avail. What's wrong? Who knows?

Idler wheel not tight enough against the filament? (Not sure which extruder you have.) Loose wire losing contact during movement?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Got some silver ABS today and tried it out with one of my Space Invaders plugs:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I am loving silver ABS.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

YardGlass posted:

That looks awesome. Roughly how long did it take to print that, and do you really have to watch it the whole time? I would print trophies for *everything* if I had one I think.

It actually was only about an hour an forty mins, I just watched a recent Wednesday Night Fights while it printed.

In general you don't have to sit and stare while something prints, assuming you have a spool of filament that doesn't need tending to, but I think of it way: do I want to go on a long walk while a balsa wood box is melting plastic at 220 degrees in my living room?

So.. Trips across the street to the convenience store, no biggie. But I'm not going to leave for the day while something is printing. I've had a 7+ hour print (one of the human torso statues, wide and tall the whole way up) die 30 mins from completion because a stray cable caught on something while I wasn't paying attention. :(

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

YardGlass posted:

Is Wednesday night fights a Street Fighter thing? Can't really tell from the link as nothing plays for me.

Thanks for the info. How do you tell when something like a cable snags without looking? Does it make a different noise? I love the idea of it, but it kinda sounds like a gigantic pain in the arse.

Yeah, weekly streamed SF/MvC3 tourney. You basically just get to know the sound of your printer. The snag was due to a bit of wood broken when I installed a power supply where the switch didn't line up with the holes, and the extra long cables I added when installing the z-axis extender.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

YardGlass posted:

Post more stuff you've made please. Is anyone using them to make x-mas gifts?

I made a couple of christmas tree ornaments and another 4X LEGO minifig:

blambert posted:

An update for the chocolate printer.... a film!

https://vimeo.com/33775105

This project is so awesome. I posted about it over on Ponoko just now: http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/12/22/chocolate-3d-printed-advent-calendar/

I'm definitely thinking of setting up a Frostruder to do something similar at Site 3 for next christmas.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

blambert posted:

Sorry man I completely forgot to reply to your PM. Blog post is great, thank you, we're gonna release our 'how we did it' in the new year, just been busy with other stuff.

I'm having a cardiac ablation in the new year... gonna get the 3D model of my heart from the surgeon and print my girlfriend a hilariously creepy valentines present.

Wow, that's awesome/scary! What's a cardiac ablation th..

Mayo Clinic Online posted:

Cardiac ablation is a procedure that can correct heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias). Ablation typically uses catheters — long, flexible tubes inserted through a vein in your groin and threaded to your heart — to correct structural problems in your heart that cause an arrhythmia.

..oughgodowowow

Seriously though that model had better get uploaded to Thingiverse. :)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

In any case, I thought it would probably be feasible for me to make a physical master, scan this into a 3D model, and then proceed to add the fine details there. The main question at this point is whether I would be better off sending my stuff to a company for scanning, or attempting to construct my own scanning rig.

There's only so much that you're going to get out of a hobbyist solution, so if you need fine detail and accuracy you might want to send your stuff out.

Other hobbyist scanning projects:
Fabscan - http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/12/19/fabscan-open-source-3d-scanner/
Spinscan - http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/08/18/spinscan-the-3d-printed-3d-scanner/

Have you considered modeling from scratch on the computer? There are sculpture-like modeling tools that you might find natural to use, like Sculptris: http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I hope it's a good 3D scanner or a giant-size MakerBot:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Maybe they're the ones who bought out http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/ :downs:

Hah, that's.. Well, I mean they did get ten million bucks. Releasing a resin printer would certainly give them a leg up in the hobbyist market. :spidey:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Zoltan posted:

Aren't they working on a dual nozzle system that will be able to print two materials at once, like ABS and a water-soluble support material?

Oh sure, but that's something they already started selling last year. Anyone with a Thing-o-Matic can upgrade to dual MK7 extruders:

Water-soluble PVA

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

General Apathy posted:

I'm in country South Australia so I don't really have a local hackerspace. I will be moving to Adelaide in the coming months so I might have to suss the cities hackerspace, if there is one.

Yup, looks like there's one in Adelaide: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Australia

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Just finished a massive eight hour print on my Cupcake, Russian poet Mayakovski:

He's about 14cm tall, from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14884

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

cyberbug posted:

Because I really want to print a print head that prints chocolate.

Well that's safe, because the current hobbyist solution is air compressor-powered syringes - so there'd be nothing printed and porous directly interacting with the food product.

I know folks on Thingiverse have used polyurethane to coat the inside of thinly-printed vases to keep them water-tight.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Actually it would be interesting to be able to print using wax for lost-wax casting.

Speaking of lost wax casting, one of our members at Site 3 built a furnace to smelt aluminum late last year. So I 3D printed a few things for her, she made impressions with them in containers of sand, then poured in the melted aluminum:

(Also I filmed an earlier attempt at casting a wrench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCp4sNR4RwA)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Check it out - I didn't know that people were printing polycarbonate on hobbyist gear: http://www.protoparadigm.com/2011/12/printing-polycarbonate/