Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I bought an i3 MK3S kit last April and stopped after building the frame and Y axis stuff..

I've recently resumed, and am now on step 23 of 60 ish of building the extruder stuff. If I had bothered to look at the instructions ahead of time I never would've purchased anything but the pre-assembled version. 😩

I swore after I built the MakerBot Cupcake a decade ago that I wouldn't assemble a printer myself again but I didn't listen :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Man, if you don't like building the printer kit you're really not going to like the maintenance down the road.

Haha, yeah that could be an issue.. We have the same one in the makerspace at work, so I get to practice a little on a couple of units to know what's normal and not normal :)

The Eyes Have It posted:

We have a couple things somewhat in common :goleft:

Building the kit was overall good but the nuts and bolts are absolutely not the interesting part to me. My MK3S works except for the filament sensor which works always EXCEPT to detect filament runout during a print, gotta deal with that before I touch my MMU kit.

I will say at least that the depth and bredth of instructions, and the willingness of Prusa support to help is very impressive. But yeah, nowadays I really just want the stuff that comes out of printers rather than having fun with the actual printers :D

Also I set up my old Sparkmaker again recently, playing around with some more fine details:

That's at.. uh, 0.05mm if i remember right, about 13 hours at 6 seconds UV per layer?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Sockser posted:

Don’t use sketchup.

This is my recommendation too :D

A moment of silence for all the inventors who walked through our doors brandishing Sketchup designs with no watertight shapes, and every wall 0 mm thick

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I finished assembling my MK3S (finally). I did not enjoy doing so, but the self-test, calibration, and first print all worked well. I'm impressed!

Made a quick time-lapse of the first print: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIt1ZqjP7Y

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Downloaded this rad turtle automata and tried it on my new MK3S yesterday:

In motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_6-1lFKMU

The Eyes Have It posted:

Whoa, that's loving cool and your filament color choices are lit.

Thanks! Those are Silk Gold and Silk Copper PLA by CC3D. The silver PLA is the one that came with the printer kit I think

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 7, 2020

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

mattfl posted:

Got the Anycubic wash and cure station in today.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tihzwxU

For the $150 I paid for it build quality is very good and it works as advertised. I'll have to make a small modification so I can use my EPAX X1 build plate on the mount they include, but nothing major. Super happy with it.

That looks great! Maybe I should get one of those for my sparkmaker..

Where did you buy it for that price?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Acid Reflux posted:

Nowhere at the moment, they just jacked the price up to $199 this past Thursday or Friday. $216 on Amazon US. Fuckers.

Ah, yeah it's CAD$279 here.. Too close to the price I paid for the actual printer :smith:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I need to design a fairly basic item for my friend's printer. If I'm on a Windows machine and I don't want to spend any money, what's a good software selection to do so?

TinkerCAD is a nice, gentle start for learning the concepts and designing basic objects

Meshmixer is more complex and has a fun organic sculpting mode

OpenSCAD is a tool where you write code to create 3D models, kinda fun if you're a programmer

Fusion 360 is much more complex and powerful and is used professionally

All are free, or have free education versions. They all have lots of online tutorials, as well

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

What do you do with scrap PLA or PETG post-printing? I can’t tell if it’s recyclable here, but I’ll keep looking.

Keep some around as spare pieces to test paint or other post-processing techniques on, but otherwise just toss it. PLA is only biodegradable in a commercial compost setting of pressure + heat + time, and recycling old material into new filament (while an interesting thought experiment) is not very practical in the end.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Update about the Photon issue. I thought the screen was dead so I contacted them through Aliexpress and they told me to open a ticket on their website. They got back to me pretty quickly and the guy gave firmware to patch and that seemed to work (for now). The screens are known to fail sometimes so I really didn't think this would be a software issue but I guess that was it.

You can't see where the original print failed on the back of the right one, but it's now fine. You can also see the difference the wash makes. The only difference in detail is in the teeth where there are now some gaps where they're supposed to be, otherwise the unwashed one is just much shinier and smoother. The

Is the washed one feeling a bit tack-y at all? I've found that dishsoap can help, and a combo of that and some clearcoat can get you nice and shiny again. I've also done the whole progressively finer sanding and a buffing wheel option but god it takes forever

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Not sure what the issue is exactly, but FYI https://twitter.com/Creality3dprint/status/1299196923019108355

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for dirt cheap PLA in boring colors like black, gray, or white? I'm going to need to do some bulk printing in the next few weeks and I'd like to come in at <$20/kg if possible. There's tons of sub-$20 crap on Amazon, so I was hoping one of you guys might have recommendations for something that at least won't arrive so tangled that it breaks the instant I start printing.

Note sure where you are, but filaments.ca has their sub-CAD$20 EconoFil PLA and Value PLA lines, I've heard they're decent

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Edit: Whoops, there is a laser thread after all, nm

Edit 2: No, it appears to have been closed

I'm looking to buy a Flux Beambox 40w laser cutter, but before I do, I'm trying to get a better sense of what it looks in actual operation in a real person's workshop.

The problem I'm running into is that I can't find much in the way of reasonable photos and videos.. Anyone in here have a Beambox (not the Beamo, not the Pro, the middle one) that they could take some candid photos of? :)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 5, 2021

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Out of the loop,but glowforge just overpriced?

They have a pretty nice UI (esp compared to most laser solutions) but their biggest weakness is that the machine is totally dependent on a cloud service that processes your designs into gcode.

Every unit will be a hunk of junk if that goes away (as happened with that one Printrbot model https://hackaday.com/2018/07/19/a-farewell-to-printrbot/), or you end up requiring a paid subscription to send your designs to the front of the line for "priority" processing (similar to what Cricut attmpted to do ahead of their IPO https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/22332212/cricut-crafting-machine-design-space-upload-limit)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Holy hell that's worse than I imagined.. Also a piece of my soul dies every time Glowforge refers to their product as a "printer" :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that subscription fee for chitubox pro is still extremely lol for sth for hobbyists. i can’t see them sticking with that forever, i just doubt they’ll get the subscription numbers they’re probably hoping for.

Oof, USD$169 per year per device/operating system.. That's pretty steep

Deviant posted:

What do people think of water washable resins? Babysitting this huge container of IPA is a chore.

I love them - I switched to using them exclusively. Having a gigantic tub of IPA sucked, esp when I upgraded the giant version of the Anycubic wash/cure station