Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Whats the max resolution on modern 3d printers now? Previous examples I've seen had fairly rough surface finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Twerpling posted:

Absurdly good. Objet printers use a process where a very thin photopolymer (light activated polymer of a sort) layers are laid down and then a UV light cures the appropriate areas. The objects that come out are incredibly smooth; usually I can't see any stepping or blocky-ness without a magnifier. The only issue is that the objects are not fully cured when they come out and will droop over time if they are under strain.

Here is an equivalent hobby machine that uses the same process:

http://3dhomemade.blogspot.com/

Oh hey, he used a DLP projector for exposure. I was thinking of doing something similar for exposing pcbs.

It seems to be kind of a trade off. This technique gives great resolution. But you are limited to dyed resin. What I really want is something that will let me print fully painted war miniatures. But those sorts of systems were kind of lacking in detail.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Verizian posted:

Pretty sure Games Workshop switched their plastics production to a rapid prototyping system around 7 years ago and that cost them around £300k. They still couldn't wouldn't get them ready painted.

If however you wanted to build a cheap home system for it nowadays you could probably rig up an airbrush with undercoat/basecoat and some kind of protection to keep paint away from the glue joins. Some kind of warm wax/vinyl dabber or something.

Thats kind of what I was figuring. But the lack of resolution would mean having to have some sort of CNC painting system. Which I guess could be done but I can't think of any examples short of cars.

Now that I think about it though, the epoxy system might work. You could just blow fine powder into the .1 mm layer and then expose it. Then when the part comes out wash it in a solvent to expose the embedded powders.

Ugh, CNC airbrush is sounding easier.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I couldn't tell in all that frantic fisheye poo poo but it seemed like there was no Z-axis movement (or provision for it). Did I just miss it? Are they dropping the platform with something unseen instead of moving the gantry up?

I think with that sort of setup it would be easier to just have a moving platform for the work.