Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I had an idea of making custom name badges from cheap vacuformed plastic over a 3D print of a slightly modified version of my companies logo. I've got it basically how I want it to look in Blender, but on trying to upload it to Ponoko, it didn't work, but I pretty much expected that. I have some quick questions: I designed the model as multiple meshes, I suppose it'll only work with one mesh? I've been joining them all together and making the faces new again, but it's time consuming. Are there any tricks to getting models ready to print?

e: Intersection works fine, I feel so stupid now.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

If he's looking to print Warhammer-sized figurines, the lower end hobbyist 3D printers aren't going to be able to print in a small enough resolution to accurately make figurines. A professional 3D printer like one from Z Corp, as seen earlier in the thread, would be able to. If he really really wanted to do it himself, he could rough-print a figurine with a hobbyist printer, and :rock: sculpt the plastic into the final figurine shape.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

I've found Ponoko to be less-than-ideal; making 3d objects out of their 2d parts is kind of a chore. I made some electronics cases by cutting multiple layers of acrylic out and stacking them. A 3d print, if not retardedly expensive, would have been preferable I think.

Ponoko in the US does actual 3D printing now, not just laser-cut acrylic.