Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

has a Flesch-Kincaid readability score above the graduate level, it's littrachaw.

I think you're being sarcastic here. I hope.

WHOOPS edited your post instead of replyng sorry dude stupid mod powers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

M_Gargantua posted:

I think you're being sarcastic here. I hope.

Is sarcasm even possible on the internet? I am what I seem

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Benson Cunningham posted:

Sherlock Holmes is genre trash?

MY LIFE IS A LIE

technically he's a superhero comic

1) issued in monthly booklet form

2) has a costume (deerstalker, pipe)

3) costume derives from illustrations, not text (sidney paget's illustrations)

4) Has a sidekick (Watson) and a nemesis (Moriarty)

5) has a superpower (deductive reasoning)

6) fights crime

7) dies and returns from the dead

Even Arthur Conan Doyle wanted to stop writing Holmes stories and wished people would pay attention to his "literary" works and historical fiction, like The White Company.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Literature is usually deemed literature about 75+ years after the death of the original author.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HIJK posted:

Literature is usually deemed literature about 75+ years after the death of the original author.

That can't be right. Oprah told me Johnathan Franzen's Freedom was the next Great American Novel like the week it was published.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Even Arthur Conan Doyle wanted to stop writing Holmes stories and wished people would pay attention to his "literary" works and historical fiction, like The White Company.

Are these works any good or entertaining as a read?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TV Zombie posted:

Are these works any good or entertaining as a read?

No living human being knows, everyone gets distracted and reads Sherlock Holmes instead

fake edit: actually The Lost World is pretty boss and the source material for several excellent MST3k episodes

real edit: actually I was thinking of The Land that Time Forgot my bad

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 6, 2017

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's literature if your target audience is English majors; it's genre trash if your target audience is the common man. Dickens and Chaucer used to be genre trash until the passage of time made them all but unreadable by the common man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Genre fiction" is an almost entirely modern development despite those kind of false equivocations. It's easily dismissed simply by noting that it's actually impossible to name the "genres" that Chaucer and Dickens wrote in.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 6, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Lifetime original movies have a lot of Dickens territory covered what with death, massive debt, social commentary, homelessness, family drama...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Genre fiction" is an almost entirely modern development despite those kind of false equivocations. It's easily dismissed simply by noting that it's actually impossible to name the "genres" that Chaucer and Dickens wrote in.

Eh, you've got a decent point here but again it depends on how you define genre and "genre fiction."

I mean, Dickens wrote at least half of a murder mystery novel (The Mystery of Edwin Drood) and Jane Austen essentially invented the romance novel genre (while writing at least one riff on the Gothic Novel as well, Northanger Abbey).
You could even argue that the ancient greeks were already dividing things into "genres" -- see, e.g., Artistotle's Poetics.

But you're right that the idea of "genre fiction" as a marketing category is a relatively recent development. Austen wasn't setting out to write "genre fiction," but Georgette Heyer was.

edit: you also can make a stab at genres for Chaucer if you're willing to use what his contemporaries would have thought of as genres rather than modern ones; few people today would recognize "dream visions" as a genre, but Chaucer's contemporaries would have.
For example, the Wife of Bath's tale falls within Arthurian romance. There's a good breakdown of Chaucer's works by "genre" here: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/engl511/genreinchaucer.htm

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HIJK posted:

Lifetime original movies have a lot of Dickens territory covered what with death, massive debt, social commentary, homelessness, family drama...

Dickens didn't realize it, but he was actually writing Broadway / Disney musicals. Oliver!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

edit: you also can make a stab at genres for Chaucer if you're willing to use what his contemporaries would have thought of as genres rather than modern ones; few people today would recognize "dream visions" as a genre, but Chaucer's contemporaries would have.
For example, the Wife of Bath's tale falls within Arthurian romance. There's a good breakdown of Chaucer's works by "genre" here: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/engl511/genreinchaucer.htm

That's it. I demand fantasy literature in untranslated Middle English.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZombieLenin posted:

That's it. I demand fantasy literature in untranslated Middle English.

Ok, best I can do

https://www.amazon.com/Sir-Gawain-Green-Knight-Tolkien/dp/0198114869

Note that this is not the same as Tolkien's translation -- this is the original ME text with Tolkien's notes and annotations

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Thank you.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ok, best I can do

https://www.amazon.com/Sir-Gawain-Green-Knight-Tolkien/dp/0198114869

Note that this is not the same as Tolkien's translation -- this is the original ME text with Tolkien's notes and annotations

This is amazing. Now if only I could read Middle English.

Which reminds me of how much I enjoy watching videos of speaking Middle English, and Early Modern English for that matter, in the proper accents.

The recovering academic in me does question the veracity and exactness of the knowledge of those accents though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZombieLenin posted:

This is amazing. Now if only I could read Middle English.

Which reminds me of how much I enjoy watching videos of speaking Middle English, and Early Modern English for that matter, in the proper accents.

The recovering academic in me does question the veracity and exactness of the knowledge of those accents though.

It's a lot easier to learn ME or even OE than it seems at first. Especially for ME it's more a matter of learning the pronunciation shifts and typographical changes than anything else. Specifically reading Sir Gawaine is both easier and more difficult than reading Chaucer because modern English is largely derived from Chaucer's London dialect, whereas Sir Gawaine was written in a different dialect that seems less familiar; because of that though you tend to get better and more thorough notes and annotations, so it balances out. It's definitely something you could teach yourself the basics of with a few afternoons of googling and some relevant youtube tutorials.

Once you learn that þ means th and a few other handles everything's a lot more comprehensible.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/Gawain?rgn=main&view=fulltext

See?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZombieLenin posted:

There are some notes here: http://the-toast.net/2014/03/19/a-linguist-explains-british-accents-of-yore/

The real short version is that written works prior to standardized spelling give a good reflection of how words were pronounced, we know that there was a great vowel shift that has been well-studied and we can go back from that, etc.

They go into it in a little more detail starting at 3:46 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

The much longer version is here: http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/episodes/

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
ME at least isn't difficult as long as there's annotations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a source for MIddle English texts, which includes a lot of shorter texts if you want to practice reading, with introductions by researcher and notes on the text.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I guess the real issue is with my philosophy, loosely speaking, training. I can follow being able to track changes in pronunciation through phonetic spelling; however, where I get uncomfortable is when the claims go from it probably sounded something like this to it sounded like this.

You can give a person who has never heard a different language or accent spoken in very precise phonetic spellings and what will come out of their mouths when trying to read them aloud might be ballpark, or it might not, but it is very unlikely to sound like a word is/was actually spoken by a native speaker.

So with the absence of recorded voices, my questioning is more about the absence of qualification when people are demonstrating the "proper" way dead languages sound.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ZombieLenin posted:

I guess the real issue is with my philosophy, loosely speaking, training. I can follow being able to track changes in pronunciation through phonetic spelling; however, where I get uncomfortable is when the claims go from it probably sounded something like this to it sounded like this.

You can give a person who has never heard a different language or accent spoken in very precise phonetic spellings and what will come out of their mouths when trying to read them aloud might be ballpark, or it might not, but it is very unlikely to sound like a word is/was actually spoken by a native speaker.

So with the absence of recorded voices, my questioning is more about the absence of qualification when people are demonstrating the "proper" way dead languages sound.

If I show a native speaker of English who hasn't had a day's experience with Chinese pinyin, he's going to pronounce some words dead on and others farcically wrong (fear the would-be usurper Cow Cow!). This is because he's going to assume that pinyin works just like English, or he'll make some other assumption about it that will inform his pronunciation. If I show a trained linguist Chinese written in IPA, the only question of his pronunciation will be if he can physically make the vowels and consonants that Chinese uses that English doesn't, something he can learn with practice.

ME is obviously not written in IPA. It's not even standardized between contemporary authors. But linguists have multiple tools at their disposal to get drat close to how the words should have sounded. A lot of work can be done by comparing extant languages, dialects, and accents. You can get a pretty good feel for how vowels and consonants change over time in general by looking at the shifts in pronunciation that have happened across the dozens if not hundreds of languages we've studied over the last couple of centuries. While not hard and fast rules, you get the general impression that there are broad patterns in these shifts as things move from complex diphthongs to consonant clusters and back again. A good rule of thumb is that humans are lazy and we'll move towards simpler pronunciation over time, but that simpler pronunciation introduces new complexities and the process repeats itself. You can also look at specific words and see how they've changed with accents and compare that to the general drift between the accents. We cross check that against linguistic pressures. What were the Australians exposed to or who generally made up their population versus the Americans and South Africans? What continued to influence British English that stopped influencing Colonial English? You can then go between languages. If a word has a Norse root, see what the modern cognate looks like in Icelandic, Norwegian, and Swedish and compare that to the modern English. Then use what we know about shifts in those languages to try and work backwards.

And then there's the writing itself. Authors of ME and other older languages didn't write any more arbitrarily than we do. They considered cadence, rhythm, and rhyme same as us. And that tells you a ton. You can make very strong guesses about which words were supposed to sound the same from the words they're being rhymed with even when the spelling is different. You can also figure out where stresses fall across syllables. And we take all of that information and combine it with the inferences from modern languages and we can arrive at a pretty solid answer.

If you're being the ultimate skeptic, yes, it's all strong guesses based on inferences and evidence in modern languages and general patterns. But they're not just shots in the dark.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So what you're saying is, it's all a mystery and we have no idea. Got it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So what you're saying is, it's all a mystery and we have no idea. Got it.

Depends on how you feel about the soft sciences.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lyon posted:

Post a link in here when it goes up.

:siren: Here's the link for the new thread for trashing genre books.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I've got a lot of poo poo going on in my life right now. It's a comfort to know I can drop in on this thread every few weeks and see that nothing's changed.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Random thoughts:

Has anyone pointed out that Rothfuss stole his "all my female characters are super hot and competent, but CHOOSE to gently caress my self-insert main character because they are liberated women" shtick from Robert Heinlein?

On the genre talk, authors (or sometimes their publishers) who aspire to being writers of Literature generally try to avoid sci-fi/fantasy. Ishiguro was mentioned before and Atwood specifically labels her books as speculative fiction even though almost any definition of sci-fi would include her work. There are probably some good reasons for this. Sci-fi/Fantasy is regarded as a bit of a trash genre in the same way that romance novels are by most of the people who decide what sorts of books get awards. The idea that sci-fi/fantasy can't be "important" literature is a bit silly though. It's not like no one has ever written a science-fiction novel that is well regarded in English departments. Here's a good article about Atwood's The Heart Goes Last, which is about 40% diversion to talk about the politics of the sci-fi label with a focus on Atwood and Le Guin (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/aug/10/speculative-or-science-fiction-as-margaret-atwood-shows-there-isnt-much-distinction) teaser quote from Le Guin on Atwood's labeling choices: "She doesn’t want the literary bigots to shove her into the literary ghetto.”

Is it just me or do genre books written by women get lumped into YA in a way that books by men don't. Like pretty much anything Sanderson or Rothfuss write is just as YA as The Hunger Games or Twilight. But Sanderson's stuff get's bracketed off - his super hero books are flagged as YA, but Mistborn isn't for no discernible reason.Though, maybe that's just smart marketing on the behalf of the aforementioned women/their publishers. The money certainly does seem to be in tween-lit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But Sanderson's superhero books are noticeably more young adult than his Mistborn books. I think it's debateable wheather Mistborn could be considered YA, while it's clear that his Reckoners books etc. are YA literature. And importantly, Sanderson and his publishers consider his superhero books YA literature, and they are marketed as such, while his Cosmere books are marketed as fantasy.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I have seen Mistborn in the YA section and marketed as such before, but the 2nd generation of Mistborn books are certainly not YA books. Rothfuss's stuff is pretty clearly YA but most of the time I hear people praising it they will say something like "It's YA but for adults!!!". Which in that case it's placement in the adult SF/F section makes sense.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

YA but for adults

That's a profound burn.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Everyone should read The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

It's a premiere novel that you won't feel dirty about liking a decade later.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
When did you read it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In Seth Dickinson's highly-anticipated debut The Traitor Baru Cormorant, a young woman from a conquered people tries to transform an empire in this richly imagined geopolitical fantasy.

Baru Cormorant believes any price is worth paying to liberate her people-even her soul.

When the Empire of Masks conquers her island home, overwrites her culture, criminalizes her customs, and murders one of her fathers, Baru vows to swallow her hate, join the Empire's civil service, and claw her way high enough to set her people free.

Sent as an Imperial agent to distant Aurdwynn, another conquered country, Baru discovers it's on the brink of rebellion. Drawn by the intriguing duchess Tain Hu into a circle of seditious dukes, Baru may be able to use her position to help. As she pursues a precarious balance between the rebels and a shadowy cabal within the Empire, she orchestrates a do-or-die gambit with freedom as the prize.

But the cost of winning the long game of saving her people may be far greater than Baru imagines.

Sounds like absolute drivel.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Everyone should read The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

It's a premiere novel that you won't feel dirty about liking a decade later.

yeah let me just read a book written by a book barn poster

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Karnegal posted:

Is it just me or do genre books written by women get lumped into YA in a way that books by men don't. Like pretty much anything Sanderson or Rothfuss write is just as YA as The Hunger Games or Twilight. But Sanderson's stuff get's bracketed off - his super hero books are flagged as YA, but Mistborn isn't for no discernible reason.Though, maybe that's just smart marketing on the behalf of the aforementioned women/their publishers. The money certainly does seem to be in tween-lit.

I never particularly noticed Twilight and The Hunger Games being marketed as YA - I think they just ended up looking like it because of the sheer volumes of tweens that dove into them, and the slightly lower quality of writing from those two particular authors. Having never read Twilight, I can only repeat what I've heard, but I can directly attest that Collins definitely reads like a YA.

I wouldn't say that genre books written by women are generally lumped into YA though - Kristen Britain (Green Rider) immediately comes to mind, and as an Enjoyer of poo poo Genre Fiction, I see a reasonable number of womens' names while perusing the "regular adult SF/F" section of bookstores.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Sounds like absolute drivel.

Do you have a patreon? I'd give you upwards of $5 to read it and complain about it

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I dunno, I think it might be worth a shot if I see it in a bookstore.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I've always felt YA has primary protagonists that skew younger than 18, and non-YA has primary protagonists that are ostensible adults. That and most YA tends to be bildungsroman type stories, which makes sense if you're marketing your literature at an audience you would expect to try and push concepts on, rather than just entertain. (YMMV, of course. Nothing is absolutely on one side or the other.)

Twilight and 50 Shades are the same story, just one of them takes place in a high school and the other post-high school.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I never particularly noticed Twilight and The Hunger Games being marketed as YA - I think they just ended up looking like it because of the sheer volumes of tweens that dove into them, and the slightly lower quality of writing from those two particular authors. Having never read Twilight, I can only repeat what I've heard, but I can directly attest that Collins definitely reads like a YA.

I wouldn't say that genre books written by women are generally lumped into YA though - Kristen Britain (Green Rider) immediately comes to mind, and as an Enjoyer of poo poo Genre Fiction, I see a reasonable number of womens' names while perusing the "regular adult SF/F" section of bookstores.

There's a good argument that Twilight essentially solidified the YA genre as it exists today after Harry Potter's success. The Hunger Games is very much categorised as Young Adult as well.

Young Adult primarily exists as a marketing category more so than it being a quality label which a lot of people seem to use it as. Its technical definition can be super subjective and varies greatly. I've seen people refer to YA as the audience but also specifically about the age of the protagonist. Functionally it makes it easier for readers to find the next thing in a walled garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I always thought YA meant the main characters are, well, young adults. I wrote a book which I'd like to market as YA, but the characters are adults so I didn't think it would fit. Maybe I'll reappraise that!

The Traitor Baru Cormorant is very good. It's no Ghormenghast though so I'm sure Bravest of Lamps would hate it.

• Locked thread